First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler Sport S 3.6 liter V6
Occupation
RN
If you want to stay with the 35’s, Toyo AT3-35/12.50/17/C—59lbs , 285/75/C-also 59 lbs although .6”shorter and more narrow, If you want to sell yours and swap. Edit— recalibrate?— going from 32.8” to 34.5” tires my speedometer is 3.5 mph slow at 65 mph (actual 68.5) so indicated mpg will be less than actual. Indicated range would be similarly effected, but not as much as you are saying.
If it's odometer range and not actual miles I would agree, but if you can't make it to the same spot on electric as you did the day before it's due to the new tires and wheels.

I put some take off KO2's and wheels on my 2019 Sport, but took them off a couple days later due to the changes in MPG, ride and driving characteristics. Still liked the wheels so I just switched back to the "Stock" tires.

If I had the space, I'd have daily commute tires and wheels and then a set of something for inclement weather and playing around off the paved roads. Maybe someday.

Rod
Sponsored

Moblrn

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler Sport S 3.6 liter V6
Occupation
RN
Yeah, it’s never a bad idea to give your vehicle a few minutes to warm up when it is particularly cold outside. Kinda counter-intuitive, though, if you have an I.C.E. 🧊 😂
Some say allowing the engine to warm up before the rest of the moving parts, puts those other parts under more strain.

I start put it in gear and let the "Fast idle" move everything at the same time until it drops off, then I try to keep acceleration pretty slow till I see the trans temp starting to increase. If it's a short ride I do try to encourage elimination of condensation from the exhaust as I'm arriving at my destination. It works for me, but you do you.

Rod

OP
OP

Squirrely Dan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Wrangler Sahara 4xe
The conversation was very helpful. Thanks all.

I decided to exchange the 315/70 Wildpeaks for 285/75 Toyo AT3s. After a day driving on and off road, it was definitely the right call. The mpgs and acceleration improved dramatically, most of the way back toward stock. Visually I actually prefer the change as it's just a bit more balanced for my taste, especially the more modest poke.

I will say that the ride quality did come down a notch. The Toyos have a bit more rumble to them than the Falkens, even at lower pressure. I don't know if that's a function of the tire itself or the more concentrated contact patch of this size. It's livable, but in retrospect the C load in this same tire probably would have been the ideal call.

For the record I had not, and still haven't, done a recalibration. I'm hoping that Tazer will have something dedicated for the 4xe at some point.
Jeep Wrangler JL Not liking the loss in mileage. PXL_20221204_144724245
Jeep Wrangler JL Not liking the loss in mileage. PXL_20221204_144744897

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AEV JL370 JLURD , AMG GLC43
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

For the record I had not, and still haven't, done a recalibration. I'm hoping that Tazer will have something dedicated for the 4xe at some point.
Dedicated for the 4xe? Why? They already support it.

ColorAhdo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR

I decided to exchange the 315/70 Wildpeaks for 285/75 Toyo AT3s. After a day driving on and off road, it was definitely the right call. The mpgs and acceleration improved dramatically, most of the way back toward stock. Visually I actually prefer the change as it's just a bit more balanced for my taste, especially the more modest poke.

I will say that the ride quality did come down a notch. The Toyos have a bit more rumble to them than the Falkens, even at lower pressure. I don't know if that's a function of the tire itself or the more concentrated contact patch of this size. It's livable, but in retrospect the C load in this same tire probably would have been the ideal call.

That looks great. Definitely more reasonable on poke. And, those Methods look good no matter what tires are mounted !

Sponsored

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee srt.V10 Dodge 4x

PXL_20221204_144724245.jpg
PXL_20221204_144744897.jpg
No recal— Just drive 65 per speedo instead of a typical 69 and your even, plus the added bonus of less warranty miles and a 6mph higher speed limiter. There are pros and cons to most everything. But yes— C load would have rode a bit better than E’s, at least they are only 1 pound heavier. 😊 😉

Last edited:

TheRaven

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th
Occupation
Electrical, Mechanical, and Aerospace Engineering.
If it's odometer range and not actual miles I would agree, but if you can't make it to the same spot on electric as you did the day before it's due to the new tires and wheels.
Actually that's not true...with hybrid vehicles your all-electric range is controlled by the computer not the battery. There is always reserve left in the battery and the computer is responsible for maintaining that. The computer will calculate how many miles you can drive on electric based on the charge in the battery, however if the computer isn't reading mileage correctly, it will throw that number off. So yes, if you recalibrate for the correct tire size, and computer is actually measuring real miles properly, you CAN gain physical range.

Think of it like inkjet printers that stop you from printing WAY before you are actually out of ink. Granted, that's due to greedy corporations wanting to sell more cartridges and this is due to...well, greedy corporations, I suppose...wanting to make sure your battery wears out OUT of warranty instead of IN warranty. So I guess it's not all that different.

OP
OP

Squirrely Dan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Wrangler Sahara 4xe
Dedicated for the 4xe? Why? They already support it.
I must have been reading old info. I thought people were getting all kinds of errors and couldn't use most of the functionality. It's not worth it to me just to recalibrate the speedo. I'd want access to features like the rear camera-turn signal, trail turn, etc.

ODDs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hella Yella Sahara

That does look much better!

Sponsored

OrneryBear

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Sarge JLUR 6spd
Go drive your jeep with those wildpeaks in some snow and then re-assess. I have those on my truck in 315/70 R17 and they are amazing in the snow.

Carlton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps lots of jeeps

You got rid of perfectly good tires without solving the issue 😆. You didn't like the lost MPG (which wasn't really lost) and that the jeep felt sluggish. If you reprogrammed the jeep, your MPG would be correct, showing that you probably lost one MPG or so and the jeep wouldn't have been sluggish anymore.

Seems like the plan wasn't thought out 😆

LOBBS

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Quality Manager in Automotive Aftermarket
I went the KO2s in 315/70 Load C (the ones spec'd for the Raptor tho they may also be the ones in the XR package now) and wheels that weighed in at only 24lbs or 1lb heavier than the Rubicon wheels. Going to that setup over the factory Rubicon 285s I lost less than 1mpg once I adjusted my speedometer/odometer. I routinely get 20-21 mpg but the vast majority of my 30 mile each way daily commute is highway.

Jeep Wrangler JL Not liking the loss in mileage. PXL_20221021_190545827

OP
OP

Squirrely Dan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Wrangler Sahara 4xe
You got rid of perfectly good tires without solving the issue 😆. You didn't like the lost MPG (which wasn't really lost) and that the jeep felt sluggish. If you reprogrammed the jeep, your MPG would be correct, showing that you probably lost one MPG or so and the jeep wouldn't have been sluggish anymore.

Seems like the plan wasn't thought out 😆
This isn't accurate. At I said, I was assessing primarily electric range. And I wasn't basing it exclusively off the computer, but rather the known distance between my home and office, and far there and back I could get in electric mode before the engine kicked in. I know the distances and I lost legitimately 30% of my range. I saved 13 lbs per corner by switching. That is a huge difference.

WorkingMan

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport S
After much debate on both wheels and tires, I finally upgraded my stock Sahara. I'm not sure why I ended up choosing the 315/70/17s other than ignorance. This is my first true off road vehicle. I'm pleased with the look and certainly want to be able to confidently take full advantage of Colorado trails, including in winter, but the reality is I'll be 99% commuting. And with this upgrade I've gone from a solid 26 miles of pure electric range down to about 18-19.

So my question is, will I see much of a change if I return these tires and go 285/75/17? I also see I chose about the heaviest damn 315s made. The Wildpeaks are 73 lbs each. Even staying with 315s, the Goodyear Duratracs are only 62 lbs and a softer D load.

But if I go 285s there's the Toyo AT3s at 60 lbs in a C load, and KO2s at 61 lbs in E load. This would also take true height from 34.65" down to 33.9", which I know is also a factor.

So is it worth it to make a swap or will improvements be marginal and I just need to stop thinking about efficiency and go enjoy myself?
My V-6 gets 25 MPG as equipped. I didn't change the diameter of the tires though, just the width and offset.

IMG_20220729_115533127_HDR (1).jpg
Sponsored