Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AEV JL370 JLURD , AMG GLC43
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Thank you. Yes I did look at this. The Sahara stock wheels are 20s and come in at about 40lbs, where's the methods are 32lbs. That's how I explained the need for new wheels to my wife. :)
Damn, that's a significant reduction in weight!

That reminds me of an old adage about wheels. Strong, light, or cheap: choose any two.
Sponsored

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
If you haven't adjusted the speedometer yet, do so. The slower rolling tires (less revolutions per mile) make your computer thing you are getting worse fuel mileage, and it affects your transmissions shift points. You will notice a significant improvement when you recalibrate.

Also, if you are thing about changing tires again, consider splitting the difference between the stock tires and the 315s by going to a 305/70/17. They are only 1/2' shorter and slightly narrower. They will still look great on the wheels you have.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/Tire...&rearRatio=65&rearDiameter=17&performance=ALL

Willys_Wonka

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUW
After much debate on both wheels and tires, I finally upgraded my stock Sahara. I'm not sure why I ended up choosing the 315/70/17s other than ignorance. This is my first true off road vehicle. I'm pleased with the look and certainly want to be able to confidently take full advantage of Colorado trails, including in winter, but the reality is I'll be 99% commuting. And with this upgrade I've gone from a solid 26 miles of pure electric range down to about 18-19.

So my question is, will I see much of a change if I return these tires and go 285/75/17? I also see I chose about the heaviest damn 315s made. The Wildpeaks are 73 lbs each. Even staying with 315s, the Goodyear Duratracs are only 62 lbs and a softer D load.

But if I go 285s there's the Toyo AT3s at 60 lbs in a C load, and KO2s at 61 lbs in E load. This would also take true height from 34.65" down to 33.9", which I know is also a factor.

So is it worth it to make a swap or will improvements be marginal and I just need to stop thinking about efficiency and go enjoy myself?
PXL_20221201_221018346.jpg
PXL_20221201_220822120.jpg
285/75/17 is a great size for those who want to stay within the fender flares and still gain a decent amount of clearance. Im actually upgrading from 285/70/17 Grabber atx next year to 285/75/17 Toyo AT3's load-c on a JLUW. As others mentioned, load-c is the way to go if you are not doing much wheeling. Its a softer tire (better ride quality) that usually weigh less than a E rated tire. Once you jump into 35" tires it seems that the threshold into noticeably lower MPG. I also have Rubicon shocks/springs installed on my JLUW, so I can clear 285/75/17 as is. I might install some small .5"-.75" coil spacers, as well.

Carlton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps lots of jeeps
Like others have said, you need to recalibrate for the larger tire size. The MPG you are seeing currently is wrong. Additionally your shift points are off making the jeep sluggish.

Buy a Taser or Flashcal.

Last edited:

Sponsored

sardog12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Wrangler X-Gone, 2019 Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
IT
Vehicle Showcase
So is it worth it to make a swap or will improvements be marginal and I just need to stop thinking about efficiency and go enjoy myself?
PXL_20221201_221018346.jpg
PXL_20221201_220822120.jpg
While it doesn't look bad, don't underestimate how much of a role the wheels play in the weight of the tire/wheel combination. As everyone has said, the size (width and height), sidewall, and weight all play a part and should be accounted for or you don't really know what the effect is but don't downplay that the wheel has an effect as well. But in all, since performance isn't a consideration, are looks or mileage more important to you? If you like the looks, then the cost of gas/more recharges is the price you pay (pun intended) but I do have to agree that you would want to look for something with less of a load range next time, which will usually equate to less weight as well. Personally, I'm not a believer that an E rated tire will be needed for anything I will do since the C rated are going to ordinarily be less weight, give better ride, and give better sidewall flex over obstacles, also meaning better traction and less punctures.

MesaAZGuy

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon XR 3.6
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I've got nothing to add but forget the mileage and enjoy yourself. That is one hot looking setup. I would never go back to the stock 4xe wheels. I wanted to do the same as you did but pricing was over 3k for wheels and tires. I did the next best thing and traded it on a custom ordered Rubicon XR. If you want to talk about shooting oneself in their foot, I shot both my feet and arms when I did that since I went from 33mpg to 16! That said, I love it and as mentioned, Jeeps aren't known to be fuel misers. They are a unique vehicle.

No IFS

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
Are you trying to push around those big tires with the 2.0 slow 1995 cc motorcycle engine? My V6 with 4.10 ratio and 37” muds kicks ass. No issues

sardog12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Wrangler X-Gone, 2019 Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
IT
Vehicle Showcase
I've got nothing to add but forget the mileage and enjoy yourself. That is one hot looking setup. I would never go back to the stock 4xe wheels. I wanted to do the same as you did but pricing was over 3k for wheels and tires. I did the next best thing and traded it on a custom ordered Rubicon XR. If you want to talk about shooting oneself in their foot, I shot both my feet and arms when I did that since I went from 33mpg to 16! That said, I love it and as mentioned, Jeeps aren't known to be fuel misers. They are a unique vehicle.
Yeah, a Jeep is the wrong vehicle for a person who is so concerned with mpg (not directed at you). As I have told many people, a Jeep is definitely a compromise vehicle and its not for everyone.

Sponsored

Eischman

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited
If you haven't adjusted the speedometer yet, do so. The slower rolling tires (less revolutions per mile) make your computer thing you are getting worse fuel mileage, and it affects your transmissions shift points. You will notice a significant improvement when you recalibrate.

Also, if you are thing about changing tires again, consider splitting the difference between the stock tires and the 315s by going to a 305/70/17. They are only 1/2' shorter and slightly narrower. They will still look great on the wheels you have.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/Tire...&rearRatio=65&rearDiameter=17&performance=ALL
The Last Cowboy has a good point, I have the BFG KOs Load Range C 315/70/17 on 17X8.5 and SHOULD have gone with the 305/70/17.
1) I could have used my stock Rubicon rims
2) I would have gotten better fuel milage
3) Skinnier tires can save money by not having to wash the side of your Jeep constantly:like:

Spartan99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 JKUX
After so many wheel and tire configurations, I have concluded I love stock wheels and tires the most for daily driving. I’m talking the cheapy steelies and small tires. I get the best mileage with them, the ride is softer and the steering is better and I don’t care if it doesn’t look cool. And people practically give them away all day long on craigslist. Before I go off roading, I switch my wheels and tires to the Rubi’s that people practically give away on CL that I picked up brand new for next to nothing. The mileage and ride quality differences are noticeable.

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee srt.V10 Dodge 4x
The Last Cowboy has a good point, I have the BFG KOs Load Range C 315/70/17 on 17X8.5 and SHOULD have gone with the 305/70/17.
1) I could have used my stock Rubicon rims
2) I would have gotten better fuel milage
3) Skinnier tires can save money by not having to wash the side of your Jeep constantly:like:
1– Standard guidelines for mounting 35/12.50/17’s (315/70) are 7.5–11.5 in wheels, per Tire and Rim Manufactures Association —DT……2.- Yep……3– 35/12.50’s on standard 7.5” 392 wheels are even with the flares, no extra washes required (thankfully) . Just one out of three, Fail, retake test. 😉 😊

Byrds8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Beach, 2022 JLU High Tide
If you actually have to buy another set of tires, youll spend more swapping out than the extra gas I would figure. If they would just let you swap, then get the lighter 35s. The BFG KO2s are 64lbs in 315/70/17. Between the lighter tire and the lighter wheel you have on it already it should balance out. For each pound of unsprung weight, its about seven pounds of static weight.

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee srt.V10 Dodge 4x
Are you trying to push around those big tires with the 2.0 slow 1995 cc motorcycle engine? My V6 with 4.10 ratio and 37” muds kicks ass. No issues
Upon reading I thought “ Here We Go” but Nope, surprisingly. 🤔 4 banger guys didn’t take the bait. Good try though.
Sponsored

Last edited: