Sponsored

Not liking the loss in mileage.

Squirrely Dan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Wrangler Sahara 4xe
After much debate on both wheels and tires, I finally upgraded my stock Sahara. I'm not sure why I ended up choosing the 315/70/17s other than ignorance. This is my first true off road vehicle. I'm pleased with the look and certainly want to be able to confidently take full advantage of Colorado trails, including in winter, but the reality is I'll be 99% commuting. And with this upgrade I've gone from a solid 26 miles of pure electric range down to about 18-19.

So my question is, will I see much of a change if I return these tires and go 285/75/17? I also see I chose about the heaviest damn 315s made. The Wildpeaks are 73 lbs each. Even staying with 315s, the Goodyear Duratracs are only 62 lbs and a softer D load.

But if I go 285s there's the Toyo AT3s at 60 lbs in a C load, and KO2s at 61 lbs in E load. This would also take true height from 34.65" down to 33.9", which I know is also a factor.

So is it worth it to make a swap or will improvements be marginal and I just need to stop thinking about efficiency and go enjoy myself?
Jeep Wrangler JL Not liking the loss in mileage. PXL_20221201_221018346
Jeep Wrangler JL Not liking the loss in mileage. PXL_20221201_220822120
Sponsored

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee srt.V10 Dodge 4x
After much debate on both wheels and tires, I finally upgraded my stock Sahara. I'm not sure why I ended up choosing the 315/70/17s other than ignorance. This is my first true off road vehicle. I'm pleased with the look and certainly want to be able to confidently take full advantage of Colorado trails, including in winter, but the reality is I'll be 99% commuting. And with this upgrade I've gone from a solid 26 miles of pure electric range down to about 18-19.

So my question is, will I see much of a change if I return these tires and go 285/75/17? I also see I chose about the heaviest damn 315s made. The Wildpeaks are 73 lbs each. Even staying with 315s, the Goodyear Duratracs are only 62 lbs and a softer D load.

But if I go 285s there's the Toyo AT3s at 60 lbs in a C load, and KO2s at 61 lbs in E load. This would also take true height from 34.65" down to 33.9", which I know is also a factor.

So is it worth it to make a swap or will improvements be marginal and I just need to stop thinking about efficiency and go enjoy myself?
PXL_20221201_221018346.jpg
PXL_20221201_220822120.jpg
If you want to stay with the 35ā€™s, Toyo AT3-35/12.50/17/Cā€”59lbs , 285/75/C-also 59 lbs although .6ā€shorter and more narrow, If you want to sell yours and swap. Editā€” recalibrate?ā€” going from 32.8ā€ to 34.5ā€ tires my speedometer is 3.5 mph slow at 65 mph (actual 68.5) so indicated mpg will be less than actual. Indicated range would be similarly effected, but not as much as you are saying.

Last edited:

dragoneggs

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Snazzberry Pearl JLR
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

Maybe you are overthinking this. Go enjoy enjoy yourself... and different than you have done before. :giggle:

Seriously, no harm done. Hopefully your MPG isn't driving you. Otherwise... wrong vehicle let alone tires.

Can't have your cake and eat it too. I was told this long ago. Never made much sense to me especially when the dessert was right in front of my face. All that said, seems there is some truth to this... decisions.

Jared1956

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Rubicon 1964 CJ3B 1967 CJ5
You need to recalibrate your speedometer using a tazer type programmer first. Changing tire size without changing the setting will throw your mileage way off. That being said, you are still going to be down from the stock size. Also, donā€™t forget to calculate any warm up time on the gas engine now that winter is here. Sooooo many people start bitching about mileage this time of year when they donā€™t realize that the drop is because the vehicle is idling after being remote started for 15 minutes.

Jamrock

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki
Welcome to the real world...

There will always be a trade off between looks and performance. Heavier vehicles need more gas to move them.

The previous posters have given you good advice. Try some lighter tires and recalibrate.

The Jeep looks good though.

Sponsored

Slippery Pete

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUW XR 2.0T
You need to recalibrate your speedometer using a tazer type programmer first. Changing tire size without changing the setting will throw your mileage way off. That being said, you are still going to be down from the stock size. Also, donā€™t forget to calculate any warm up time on the gas engine now that winter is here. Sooooo many people start bitching about mileage this time of year when they donā€™t realize that the drop is because the vehicle is idling after being remote started for 15 minutes.
Yea, each cold day I warm my Jeep for a few mins and my mileage dops approx. .2 when doing so. I do this for my kids but also so the engine isn't driven cold, I'm not sure if driving it cold is a bad thing tho.

TheBirdie72

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Freedom Edition 2 Door
Yea, each cold day I warm my Jeep for a few mins and my mileage dops approx. .2 when doing so. I do this for my kids but also so the engine isn't driven cold, I'm not sure if driving it cold is a bad thing tho.
Yeah, itā€™s never a bad idea to give your vehicle a few minutes to warm up when it is particularly cold outside. Kinda counter-intuitive, though, if you have an I.C.E. šŸ§Š šŸ˜‚

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician

For 99% commuting, you shot yourself in the foot.
Those wheels look fantastic, but it's amazing how quickly mods can drop your mileage.
Put the stock wheels and tires back on? Or are they gone?

If 285's are in your future, the stock Rubicon "C" load rage K02's are only 51lbs each.
If 99% commuting is the reality, there's zero need for "E" range tires.
This guy knows what's up.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Squirrely Dan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Wrangler Sahara 4xe
For 99% commuting, you shot yourself in the foot.
Those wheels look fantastic, but it's amazing how quickly mods can drop your mileage.
Put the stock wheels and tires back on? Or are they gone?

This guy knows what's up.
Thanks guys. Appreciate the feedback.

I still have the stock wheels and tires but that's a no go. I exaggerated a bit... I'll get into the mountains at least once or twice a month for some scenic trails, and the stock setup just doesn't cut it in winter. And come spring and summer I definitely want to get into some overlanding and more aggressive trails like Red Cone.

For sure I'm trying to have my cake and eat it too, a bit. Because I also forgot to mention the lost pep was a shock too. The 4xe stock was surprisingly quick. I think I'll go by discount tire and see what the 285s look like next to my Jeep. Or worst case the Toyo 35s mentioned above would save me 14lbs per corner.

Thanks for humoring the new guy. At some point I need to just take dragon eggs advice. I'm sure the first time I go play on 35s I'll get over the other stuff.

ChuckQue

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
Clubs

It looks great. Get it calibrated and do a regear too. Yes itā€™s more money but itā€™ll be worth it.

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AEV JL370 JLURD , AMG GLC43
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

I was going to make the same comment on the tire size setting. Without changing it his actual mileage will be higher than what's being shown on the screen.

Your comment about it being winter is spot on. They switch to the winter formulation, which has less energy / gives crappier mileage. But my research shows that the switchover occurs mid-September, so my comment probably doesn't apply here.

Edit: nevermind about the winter gas comment. He explicitly said that his experience was with electric-only. Cold, however, does reduce miles from the battery.

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AEV JL370 JLURD , AMG GLC43
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

If you're extremely concerned about the implications of the added unsprung weight, have you looked at the weight of the new wheels versus the originals? I have not..just throwing it out there to make sure you're not ignoring it.

OP
OP

Squirrely Dan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Wrangler Sahara 4xe
If you're extremely concerned about the implications of the added unsprung weight, have you looked at the weight of the new wheels versus the originals? I have not..just throwing it out there to make sure you're not ignoring it.
Thank you. Yes I did look at this. The Sahara stock wheels are 20s and come in at about 40lbs, where's the methods are 32lbs. That's how I explained the need for new wheels to my wife. :)
Sponsored