Sponsored

Not impressed with my new Hi-Lift. What am I missing?

omnitonic

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys in Sarge Green
Occupation
truck driver
I forget on whose advice I went with the 36", but someone I trusted said he never, ever needed more than a 36" Hi-Lift. My first reservation is that when I stuck my new Hi-Lift into the bumper jack notch on my Rugged Ridge HD rear bumper, I couldn't jack it high enough to get a tire off the ground. Dang. I guess I have to figure out an acceptably tasteful way to mount a taller jack, and I basically wasted my money on this short one.

The bigger problem was that I couldn't get it to go down to save my life. I tried everything for half an hour. I'm old enough to remember when bumper jacks were standard. I'm familiar with the concept, but this brand new 900-pound cast iron American made jack just doesn't seem to want to work. I ended up having to get out my floor jack to get the Hi-Lift out of my bumper, and I almost busted my back glass in the process.

So what am I missing, and/or why are people so obsessed with these things? Honestly, I'm thinking about keeping the base for use with a bottle jack, and chucking the jack itself on my great pile of failure. It's not like I'm going to pay return shipping and a 15% restocking fee for a 900-pound jack.
Sponsored

OP
OP
omnitonic

omnitonic

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
truck driver
Actually, after checking the manual more closely, I'm pretty sure mine arrived damaged. As far as I can tell, that lower pin isn't actually supposed to be bent like that. Either it's damaged, or it broke from jacking a jeep 1" in the most simplistic and stress-free way possible.

Jeep Wrangler JL Not impressed with my new Hi-Lift. What am I missing? 1627210438727

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Actually, after checking the manual more closely, I'm pretty sure mine arrived damaged. As far as I can tell, that lower pin isn't actually supposed to be bent like that. Either it's damaged, or it broke from jacking a jeep 1" in the most simplistic and stress-free way possible.

Jeep Wrangler JL Not impressed with my new Hi-Lift. What am I missing? 1627210438727
My hi-lift is in the shed..... if you’re looking at something to use just for tire change , then this is the best way I’ve found for me here in Florida. I use the oem scissor jack with a hi- lift base. I use my Mac daddy impact and a 13 mm socket on the crank bar to lift it up. Lifts it in a couple seconds.......

Jeep Wrangler JL Not impressed with my new Hi-Lift. What am I missing? AAB8D362-2D3B-4207-9BFC-8E15B46E833B

For reference, I’m on 3.5” lift and 37” tires.
But if it’s just status, or looking cool that you’re after then my method can’t compete with that..... ;)

OP
OP
omnitonic

omnitonic

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
truck driver
But if it’s just status, or looking cool that you’re after then my method can’t compete with that..... ;)
Naw man, the deal is I have the Teraflex sway bar disconnects, and I always have trouble getting them hooked back up. I've been making do by driving up onto a log to shift things the right amount, and I want a more elegant, measured solution. A couple pumps of the right jack would do it, and I figured since I have the Hi-Lift jack points anyway, I should get one of those.

So far, I kind of feel like a sucker who got tricked into drinking the kool-aid.

I don't give a flying rat's ass about trying to impress anyone.

Friday2322

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLUR
Imo, they have a function but typically it's easier and safer to use the jack that your Jeep came with. ARB and some other companies make bases for the scissor jack that raise them up several inches to accommodate for lifts and also provide a wide stable base for uneven or soft ground. When you're using a hi lift jack on a bumper you're forced to droop the suspension all the way before the tire comes off the ground barring you didn't strap the axle. With the scissor jack your pushing up on the axle which requires far less distance to get the tire off the ground. Hi lifts have a purpose and can help in certain situations but I think a lot of it's appeal is hyped up in the Jeep community. I'm sure others will chime in with different experiences but that's mine.

Sponsored

Ridgway Jeeper

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
Occupation
Real Estate Agent
I personally think the hi lift jack is nothing more than dangerous jewelry that "off roaders" like to haul around to show others their supposed prowess. I have never and will never carry one of those things. There are much better safer tools for any situation. Good for stretching fence on the farm, absolute crap for jacking a vehicle.

DOOKEY

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tractionoffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 GCM 392 - 2019 SG JLUR
Occupation
Wheel Pimp.
I dunno... living in close proximity to Ouray Colorado I bet 75% of the Jeeps coming through here have one strapped on somewhere.
I'm proud to be part of the 25%. 😂

RubiJR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR and 1992 Suzuki Sidekick
While they do look and can be sketchy I have had no problems with jacking up from the bumper, the attachment that goes on the wheel so it lifts without suspension droop, and after years of the elements and use I am using it for jacking up a huge stump but that is slow going. It is a Harbor Freight 48" special but no complaints and after maybe 6 years it is on its last legs. I hit it with WD40 and a hammer tap to get it down now so not using it on a vehicle anymore. I like the Hi-Lift base and jeep jack idea and will be using that going forward so thanks for that. My cheap brain was thinking a 4X4 piece of wood and drill and screw for a steady base. Way easier to use something already made for the usage

Sponsored

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase

Jeep Wrangler JL Not impressed with my new Hi-Lift. What am I missing? AAB8D362-2D3B-4207-9BFC-8E15B46E833B
You can get new pins from Hi-Lift.....if you're intent on keeping and using it. When/if you do use it again, use a ratchet strap to secure your axle to the frame. You won't have to jack it up as far to change a tire as the strap will keep the axle from drooping. I use an AEV base for use with the stock scissor jack.

My Hi-Lift sits contently in the corner of my garage, hoping to be put into use one day. It hasn't been used for over 20 years.

Deleted member 59098

Mine sits in the garage and gets pulled out occasionally for some odd ball use. I used to jack up large homes with bottle jacks and wood scrap for seismic retrofit. Jacking a Jeep the same way is kids play. If I desperately need a Hi Lift, likely someone nearby will pass by with one.

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
My hi-lift is in the shed..... if you’re looking at something to use just for tire change , then this is the best way I’ve found for me here in Florida. I use the oem scissor jack with a hi- lift base. I use my Mac daddy impact and a 13 mm socket on the crank bar to lift it up. Lifts it in a couple seconds.......

Hey @Roky what base is that?

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase