Sponsored

Not Again! Jeep confirms 4-Wheel Drive for 2019 Jeep Wrangler JL

BillyHW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
Jeep Confirms 4-Wheel Drive for 2019 Jeep Wrangler JL

Toledo – Jeep’s twitter account has confirmed that 4-wheel drive will be available for the 2019 model year Jeep Wrangler JL, despite it appearing in the 2018 Wrangler owners manual.

The All-New 2018 Jeep Wrangler JL originally shipped with 4-wheel drive, and early customers reported using it, before it appears to have been disabled by an over-the-air software update. The update specifically appears to have affected the Front Axle Disconnect module, which is now electric and tied into the vehicle’s ECU.

Some users found themselves stuck in precarious situations in Moab just as the update was being pushed to customer’s vehicles via the Wrangler’s Uconnect system. “What the flaming funk am I supposed to do now? I’m in this hole and I can’t get out,” exclaimed a frustrated JL owner on the rocks.

Nicole from the Jeep Product Information Center issued the following statement:

“We have confirmed that 4-wheel drive for the 2019 model year will be available in late 2018. There will never be a software update issued to restore this feature in the 2018 models. We understand your disappointment and frustration. FCA US LLC reserves the right to discontinue models at any time or change specifications and pricing without notice or without incurring obligations.

Let’s be honest here, most Jeep Wrangler customers nowadays never even take their vehicles off-road. With the new power soft-top, we’ve perfectly positioned the Jeep Wrangler JL to be the pavement queen the new generation of millennials have been asking for.

However, as a gesture of goodwill, if you have already purchased a 2018 Jeep Wrangler JL, and if you sign up for the Jeep Wave program, you will be sent coupons for 5 free full-synthetic oil changes, good at any FCA dealership, along with Mall-Rated Badges to replace your Trail-Rated Badges.”

References to 4-wheel drive are being scrubbed from the Jeep.com website and the build and price configurator too.

On JLWranglerForums.com, on online community for Jeep owners and fans, Jeep’s decision to hold off on 4-wheel drive has caused quite a controversy. Forum member BillyHW, with clear anxiety issues, ranted, “Who the frak do I sue?! I won’t let these bastards get away with this. Where does Sergio live so I can kidnap his pets and drop them into a pot of boiling water?!”

Some members took an opposing view. Long-time Jeep owner Nate responded, “Real men off-road in a salvaged, rusted-out CJ from the junk yard, that they’ve rebuilt with there bear hands. I could care less. Effing noobs. I’m done with you loosers.”

And much better looking user Smartazz commented, “I’m disappointed about losing the 4-wheel drive, but I’m actually excited about the Mall-Rated Badges. Where can I sign up for this?”

With a history going back to 1941 with the WWII era Willys MB, the current Jeep Wrangler represents one of the crown jewels of the FCA portfolio. The struggling company can’t afford to bungle this important new product launch. It remains to be seen if they can recover from the fallout this decision has had on the Jeep brand’s reputation. When asked for comment, FCA chairman and CEO Sergio Marchionne simply stated, “Hold my beer.”
Sponsored

Last edited:

BumpyTrail

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock
AD1E9865-CCB9-4BFD-B4F2-2672442622B0.jpeg
Jeep Confirms 4-Wheel Drive for 2019 Jeep Wrangler JL

Toledo – Jeep’s twitter account has confirmed that 4-wheel drive will be available for the 2019 model year Jeep Wrangler JL, despite it appearing in the 2018 Wrangler owners manual.

The All-New 2018 Jeep Wrangler JL originally shipped with 4-wheel drive, and early customers reported using it, before it appears to have been disabled by an over-the-air software update. The update specifically appears to have affected the Front Axle Disconnect module, which is now electric and tied into the vehicle’s ECU.

Some users found themselves stuck in precarious situations in Moab just as the update was being pushed to customer’s vehicles via the Wrangler’s Uconnect system. “What the flaming funk am I supposed to do now? I’m in this hole and I can’t get out,” exclaimed a frustrated JL owner on the rocks.

Nicole from the Jeep Product Information Center issued the following statement:

“We have confirmed that 4-wheel drive for the 2019 model year will be available in late 2018. There will never be a software update issued to restore this feature in the 2018 models. We understand your disappointment and frustration. FCA US LLC reserves the right to discontinue models at any time or change specifications and pricing without notice or without incurring obligations.

Let’s be honest here, most Jeep Wrangler customers nowadays never even take their vehicles off-road. With the new power soft-top, we’ve perfectly positioned the Jeep Wrangler JL to be the pavement queen the new generation of millennials have been asking for.

However, as a gesture of goodwill, if you have already purchased a 2018 Jeep Wrangler JL, and if you sign up for the Jeep Wave program, you will be sent coupons for 5 free full-synthetic oil changes, good at any FCA dealership, along with Mall-Rated Badges to replace your Trail-Rated Badges.”

References to 4-wheel drive are being scrubbed from the Jeep.com website and the build and price configurator too.

On JLWranglerForums.com, on online community for Jeep owners and fans, Jeep’s decision to hold off on 4-wheel drive has caused quite a controversy. Forum member BillyHW, with clear anxiety issues, ranted, “Who the frak do I sue?! I won’t let these bastards get away with this. Where does Sergio live so I can kidnap his pets and drop them into a pot of boiling water?!”

Some members took an opposing view. Long-time Jeep owner Nate responded, “Real men off-road in a salvaged, rusted-out CJ from the junk yard, that they’ve rebuilt with there bear hands. I could care less. Effing noobs. I’m done with you loosers.”

And much better looking user Smartazz commented, “I’m disappointed about losing the 4-wheel drive, but I’m actually excited about the Mall-Rated Badges. Where can I sign up for this?”

With a history going back to 1941 with the WWII era Willys MB, the current Jeep Wrangler represents one of the crown jewels of the FCA portfolio. The struggling company can’t afford to bungle this important new product launch. It remains to be seen if they can recover from the fallout this decision has had on the Jeep brand’s reputation. When asked for comment, FCA chairman and CEO Sergio Marchionne simply stated, “Hold my beer.”
Finding a rusted-out CJ will be hard. But, Bear Hands! Where the heck do I buy bear hands?

Last edited:

Sponsored

$uicide$hift

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
I know this is an attempt at satire on the evening before April fools day but in today's day in age it is not a good idea to issue threats even as a joke.

"Where does Sergio live so I can kidnap his pets and drop them into a pot of boiling water?!”

I also do not understand this statement even as a joke. Sorry I am an animal lover. Joke or not this is just some sick shit.

Lurvis33

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘18 Sting-Gray Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
I know this is an attempt at satire on the evening before April fools day but in today's day in age it is not a good idea to issue threats even as a joke.

"Where does Sergio live so I can kidnap his pets and drop them into a pot of boiling water?!”

I also do not understand this statement even as a joke. Sorry I am an animal lover. Joke or not this is just some sick shit.
Ricky Gervais does a better job of explaining it in his Netflix special “Humanity” but here’s a clip from an interview:
I think he makes a good point about the context of the joke and where it can become either a good or bad joke. I feel you though, Pets are fairly innocent and we are pretty much their whole world that they know.

SaintNick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep JLU High Tide
I could actually see this happening. The more electronics you put on these vehicles the less control you have over it.

Sponsored

$uicide$hift

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Ricky Gervais does a better job of explaining it in his Netflix special “Humanity” but here’s a clip from an interview:
I think he makes a good point about the context of the joke and where it can become either a good or bad joke. I feel you though, Pets are fairly innocent and we are pretty much their whole world that they know.

Yea no sorry. Watched your video explaining humor and context. I still think this is one sick ass thought process. You may like it and find it funny. I personally find it disturbing. There is just no context you can put around boiling somebody's family pet in water that makes it funny.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lots
:cwl:

Yea no sorry. Watched your video explaining humor and context. I still think this is one sick ass thought process. You may like it and find it funny. I personally find it disturbing. There is just no context you can put around boiling somebody's family pet in water that makes it funny.

Or about masturbating in your new Jeep? :cwl:

Torenhall

First Name
Toren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Rubicon JKU HR
It's called using hyperbole for humor people. Nobody is going to hurt Sergio's pets...

Did I wake up in some kind of millennial safe space here? Is this some larger more elaborate April fools on me where nobody can take a joke??
Sponsored