Not a “build” but . . .

tims94

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Unlimited
Go straight to 35s if you don’t plan on lifting. Otherwise lift, and go straight to 37s.

switch em out right away and get top dollar for your take offs and get to enjoying the Jeep the way you want
I've never owned a Jeep. Are there any issues with the 35's at highway speeds?
Sponsored

OP
OP
GraniteRubi19

GraniteRubi19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Granite Rubicon
I've never owned a Jeep. Are there any issues with the 35's at highway speeds?

None

Arctric

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, Granite, Cloth, Dual Tops, LED, Towing, Infotain, Cold Weather.
. . . I wanted to show what I’ve been working on.

I don’t consider mine a “build” since I’m not doing any crazy suspension mods or setting it up for rock crawling. I use my Jeep for general enjoyment (hence the sky one touch top) parking where my F250 doesn’t like to go (why I didn’t lift it) and hunting (lots of hunting).

I’ve seen the threads where the rock crawlers bash mudders and say it doesn’t take any skill to drive in the mud, etc. I would strongly disagree and encourage them to consider that off-road setups depend on where you off-road. In North Florida/South Georgia our number one encountered obstacle is mud. I don’t go looking for it, but come across all the time when in the woods after what I’m really looking for so I had to start with the right tire.

3504EB4B-913A-44FB-81A5-5CF957AEE6F0.jpeg
Thinking of heading in the same direction with new XD Recon rims, were you able to use the standard size lugs with these or are the small star style lugs required? How are the Yokohama's holding up for you and how would you rate the noise level on the highway?

OP
OP
GraniteRubi19

GraniteRubi19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Granite Rubicon
Thinking of heading in the same direction with new XD Recon rims, were you able to use the standard size lugs with these or are the small star style lugs required? How are the Yokohama's holding up for you and how would you rate the noise level on the highway?
Not sure that I can give you an accurate answer on the lugs. I just went with what Discount Tire recommended on the lug nuts. I don’t have any recollection of the lugs being “different”.

As far as the tires, they are holding up well and riding very smooth for a mud tire. I really enjoy them. I’ve been spending a lot of time in the Jeep during turkey season and like it a little more every trip. Most of the places I’m traveling are 55 to 65 mph so I rarely go over 73 and I don’t even notice the “mud tire hum”. Of course, I’ve had mudders in some shape, form or fashion since I was 16 so these might as well be street tires with regard to noise.

Chief_Dan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Stingray
Short answer = I haven’t had any problems, but I’m still not sure.

Long answer= I was either lucky or unfortunate, depending on how you look at it, to kill 2 bucks in 4 sits so I didn’t really get to give the Jeep a serious “season long test”. I had no issues with the areas I crossed and tried to put it in a few binds but don’t know if I ever reached “max articulation”. I’ve stayed out of the area out of respect for the other guys in my lease and don’t have the same challenges at my farm where I’m now hunting with my kids. I’ll let you know if I end up finding out somewhere else or if I get into something good during turkey season this spring.
So, how did it all work out during hunting season?
Did you get to articulate much, any rubbing?

Finally got my JLUR the last day of December. But, with all the issues at work over the last few months, I haven't had a chance to go hunting or fishing & only one off-road run down a power line service road near my home. Shoot, I've only got right at 1900 mile on it right now & I have had it for 5 months.

But, would really like to know if you had any issues. Still like the Poison Spyder bumpers best, but the ACE Engineering bumpers & side steps/rockers are growing on me.
Your posts & information have been great.
Thank you sir!

Sponsored

OP
OP
GraniteRubi19

GraniteRubi19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Granite Rubicon
So, how did it all work out during hunting season?
Did you get to articulate much, any rubbing?

Finally got my JLUR the last day of December. But, with all the issues at work over the last few months, I haven't had a chance to go hunting or fishing & only one off-road run down a power line service road near my home. Shoot, I've only got right at 1900 mile on it right now & I have had it for 5 months.

But, would really like to know if you had any issues. Still like the Poison Spyder bumpers best, but the ACE Engineering bumpers & side steps/rockers are growing on me.
Your posts & information have been great.
Thank you sir!
Chief Dan, I was able to put the jeep through it's paces during turkey season and never rubbed. I'm sure it wasn't to the extent that rock crawlers consider full articulation, but I was in some pretty tight binds in wash outs and felt fully flexed over steep terraces and never had a problem (spots where my old JK always rubbed with 33s) The Yokohamas did great with everything I threw at them and are still riding well at 6500 miles.

I can't speak to the ACE products, but have been pleased with my Poison Spyder bumpers.

I'm happy to help you anyway I can.

p.s You should always carve out some time for hunting, regardless of what's going on. It'll help get your mind right to go back to work.

Chief_Dan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Stingray
Chief Dan, I was able to put the jeep through it's paces during turkey season and never rubbed. I'm sure it wasn't to the extent that rock crawlers consider full articulation, but I was in some pretty tight binds in wash outs and felt fully flexed over steep terraces and never had a problem (spots where my old JK always rubbed with 33s) The Yokohamas did great with everything I threw at them and are still riding well at 6500 miles.

I can't speak to the ACE products, but have been pleased with my Poison Spyder bumpers.

I'm happy to help you anyway I can.

p.s You should always carve out some time for hunting, regardless of what's going on. It'll help get your mind right to go back to work.
Thank you sir, good to know. Making me excited about finally being able to get out in the woods & on the water.

You are right about carving out some time. But, I just never got the chance. Our department canceled all our vacation leave pretty early on & that just got reinstated on Monday. Shoot, the time I had off, I spent trying to catch up on some sleep. Oh well, no need to complain, after 25 years I still love what I do & the personnel I work with. But, I sure hope to get to go fishing soon & I should be able to go hunting this fall!

Thanks again for all the info, & answering my questions, it is very much appreciated!

Chief_Dan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Stingray
Chief Dan,
you should always carve out some time for hunting, regardless of what's going on. It'll help get your mind right to go back to work.
True that!
So, getting ready for some hunting coming up! Have another question if you don't mind.
I really like that gun rack. But, can't seem to find. Did you buy or make that?
If bought, where did you get it from?
THANKS!!
Sponsored