Sponsored

Norton Point, Martha’s Vineyard

Rufus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL Sport 3.6 V6
Has anyone here driven a JL on Norton WITHOUT airing down the tires first? I’d love to avoid it if I can (especially in the summer when the pumps get busy).

I should state that I have a Sport with 255/75-R17 MTs, and I know the MTs are not as good as ATs in the sand.
Sponsored

Sheepjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 xj, 04 Silverado 2500hd
i have not driven out on to that beach or ever been out on the vineyard but generally you want drop the air pressure in your tires to help distribute the weight over a lager area. typical beach sand is a very loose and if you are fully aired up to street pressure your tire is only making little contact with the sand you are more likely to loose traction and just spin a tire which results in your digging a hole with the tire making it worse because the tire needs to climb out of the hole before it can go forward. you air down (the lower the better) the weight of the jeep is more spread out over the sand and increases your contact patch thus deceasing the change of loosing traction digging a hole.

OversandJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2017 JKU Sahara, 2014 JKU Sport S, 2007 JKU Sport, 1997 TJ,
Drop to 15 pounds, not worth it to get stuck. I pull people out all the time. Get yourself a Viair 400p portable compressor.

Sponsored

Sippican

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Vehicle Showcase
Did a Jeep on the beach on Nantucket last year. The rental company said they wouldn't come get me if I got stuck and if I didn't bring the tire pressure down to 15. When you get off the beach there are 3 air stations to bring it back up. We had to leave the beach early because the tide was coming up and the beach was getting less and less. That rental convinced me to get my first Jeep. Jump a couple of dunes and I was hooked!

Sippican

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Vehicle Showcase
Are permits required to go on the beach?
yes, unless its a rental. National Seashore = National Park. I belives its $150, plus you have to have certain things on-board. Like shovel, air compressor, etc. If you do not have these, you can get a ticket.

OP
OP

Rufus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL Sport 3.6 V6
yes, unless its a rental. National Seashore = National Park. I belives its $150, plus you have to have certain things on-board. Like shovel, air compressor, etc. If you do not have these, you can get a ticket.
You need what’s called an over sand permit for any of those beaches (Cape Pogue, Wasque, Norton) and for some of the wildlife refuges and other spots on the island. There are combo and all access passes too and different prices for islanders.

There are not hard requirements about equipment like compressors and shovels. There are warnings about lowering air pressure and there are air pumps where you drive off.

Also I don’t know if it’s classified as a national park. It’s run by the Trustees.

Sponsored

@CBEUnion

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU, 18 JL, 21 JL
So there is a big difference between the beach permits on Martha's and those on Cape because the national seashore requires a tire gauge, jack and jack board, spare tire, tow strap, and a shovel.

wolfdog

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Yamaha FJR1300, 2021 JTO, 2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Maritime Artisan, Mayflower II
You should always "air down" it's so much easier on your vehicle and you! Yes you should pump up for any speeds over 40 on the road!!

I started riding beaches many, many years ago with two wheel drive vehicles before my new 1965 Jeep CJ5. I've always used tires with the least amount of tread, like road tires. They don't dig you a grave like tires with real aggressive tread. Check out the "off road taxis" in P-Town, tractor tires, bald or with a thin radial tread. Aired down and just floating on top. Some may argue but after 60nyears of sand driving sometimes towing a boat and trailer I'll go that way! AIR DOWN either way! Good luck.

Go Jeep!!!

battles2a5

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Follow “chadtucket” on IG for some first hand accounts of what happens when you don’t air down :)
Sponsored