Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.northridge4x4.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 Sahara JKU, 2013 Rubicon JKU
Occupation
Seller of badassery
We took delivery of our 2018 JLU Rubicon a couple weeks ago.

Poser-1-sm.jpg

As far as specs its a 2018 JLU Rubicon with just about everything you can add to it. That's what happens when you tell the dealer to get one coming, they check all the boxes on the order sheet! LoL!

JL-5-sm.jpg

We left it stock for the first week to let everybody get a chance to drive it and see how it rides and drives. The comments were interesting and favorable, mostly praising how smooth the ride is and how cool the U-connect and dash display is. The back-up camera received a ton of comments too.

But it had to happen sooner rather than later, so after months of waiting to get this bright red beauty, it was time to start modding it.

JL-on-37s-sm.jpg

Our first mod was to bolt-up a set of 37s on it stock. Yep, what the heck, just for grins, let's bolt a set of 37s on....

They fit, but they also bump and rub when you were driving it, definitely would not work for any sort of off road driving. Surprisingly though the tires cleared when steering lock to lock. Wow, good job Jeep!

Another bonus was the new electric power steering system. It handled the 37s without any issues. Very nice and smooth and no discernible difference in steering resistance.

We've only just started, follow along as we have some fun building up this Red Rubi!
Sponsored

Last edited:

Rumblefish

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Granite JLUR; 2015 BMW R1200GS
She is a beauty, no get to work on those parts and accessories. I am gonna need a bracket for an ARB twin compressor.

OP
OP
Northridge4x4

Northridge4x4

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.northridge4x4.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Seller of badassery

Rumblefish

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Granite JLUR; 2015 BMW R1200GS
The only real reason I know that you guys exist is "Trail Recon" he promotes you guys very well.

Armycop

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Wrangler, 2010 Camaro SS, 2017 Passat R-Line
Nice Jeep. It's been a couple years since I've been at your shop. They are a great company to work with. Never try to upsell you on crap you don't need, just give you the expert opinion on what you need to get the job done.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Northridge4x4

Northridge4x4

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.northridge4x4.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Seller of badassery
With the 37's under it stock and it bumping and rubbing, we had to get some lift on it ASAP, so we broke out the EVO MFG. 2.5" boost stage 1 kit.

It's a pretty simple kit consisting of coil spacers and bump stop extensions. We also added in the shock extensions so we wouldn't have to worry about longer shocks.

You can get both of them together in kit form here: 2.5" Boost Stage 1 kit w/ shock extensions

Before - stock height with 37s:

JL-on-37s-sm.jpg

As you can see, the 37s look pretty good in there stock, but too much bumping and rubbing to drive it around on the street and forget even thinking about a trail.

After the EVO mfg. 2.5" Boost kit:

JL-2.5-EVO-s.jpg

Quite a noticeable difference; the look is more proportioned with some space in the wheel wells.

For ride quality? This kit uses the same springs and shocks, so there was no difference in ride quality. It rides just as nice and smooth as it did before the lift.

OP
OP
Northridge4x4

Northridge4x4

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.northridge4x4.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Seller of badassery
Next up to go in was the Magnaflow JL Catback Rock Crawler Series exhaust system, it arrived this morning and was installed in about 30 mins. Brian in the shop could've done it faster if I didn't keep getting in his way with the video camera, LOL!

The kit consists of three sections of preformed and flanged exhaust tubes, a muffler and clamps:

Exh-kit-sml.jpg

You disconnect the OE exhaust at the ball coupler behind the cat and remove it, then assemble the Magnaflow kit in sections starting at the ball flange and work your way back. The kit includes all necessary pieces and it tabbed to use the original flex hangers.

Magnaflow Exhaust AFTER:

Magnaflow-JL-sml.jpg

For those wanting to hit the trails, this kit removes the large, vulnerable OE muffler from behind the axle and replaces it with a smaller muffler that is tucked up against the belly out of the way.

You can find more info and order the system here: Magnaflow Catback Rock Crawler Series exhaust system.

We'll report back next week with what we think about the sound and performance of the new exhaust.

Kaisertod

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLUR 2.0T
Next up to go in was the Magnaflow JL Catback Rock Crawler Series exhaust system, it arrived this morning and was installed in about 30 mins. Brian in the shop could've done it faster if I didn't keep getting in his way with the video camera, LOL!

The kit consists of three sections of preformed and flanged exhaust tubes, a muffler and clamps:

Exh-kit-sml.jpg

You disconnect the OE exhaust at the ball coupler behind the cat and remove it, then assemble the Magnaflow kit in sections starting at the ball flange and work your way back. The kit includes all necessary pieces and it tabbed to use the original flex hangers.

Magnaflow Exhaust AFTER:

Magnaflow-JL-sml.jpg

For those wanting to hit the trails, this kit removes the large, vulnerable OE muffler from behind the axle and replaces it with a smaller muffler that is tucked up against the belly out of the way.

You can find more info and order the system here: Magnaflow Catback Rock Crawler Series exhaust system.

We'll report back next week with what we think about the sound and performance of the new exhaust.

Would love to hear what it sounds like, but either way it seems like a great idea. I always had upside down smiley faces in my exhaust pipes on my JK ;)

Sponsored

Kaisertod

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLUR 2.0T
With the 37's under it stock and it bumping and rubbing, we had to get some lift on it ASAP, so we broke out the EVO MFG. 2.5" boost stage 1 kit.

It's a pretty simple kit consisting of coil spacers and bump stop extensions. We also added in the shock extensions so we wouldn't have to worry about longer shocks.

You can get both of them together in kit form here: 2.5" Boost Stage 1 kit w/ shock extensions

After the EVO mfg. 2.5" Boost kit:

JL-2.5-EVO-s.jpg

Quite a noticeable difference; the look is more proportioned with some space in the wheel wells.

For ride quality? This kit uses the same springs and shocks, so there was no difference in ride quality. It rides just as nice and smooth as it did before the lift.

Looks great, but I have always been leary of boosts... my thoughts were that they were more for the mall than the trail, wondering if you all have experienced something different?

Merica!

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hopefully JLU
Occupation
Future breaker of JL Wrangler parts!
Looks great, but I have always been leary of boosts... my thoughts were that they were more for the mall than the trail, wondering if you all have experienced something different?
It's probably just temporary until real lift kits become available.

OP
OP
Northridge4x4

Northridge4x4

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.northridge4x4.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Seller of badassery
Tire-up.jpg

The road to the mall was a little bouncy this weekend...:like:

It's probably just temporary until real lift kits become available.
Exactly.

Currently there are no spring lifts available for the JL, they're coming and we'll be installing them as soon as we have some, but for now, its boost kits or nothing.

Jeep has done a lot of work with the OE JL suspension, the OE coils are softer and the shocks are firmer than the OE JK parts, we've been really surprised with how good our JL rides and we're impressed with it playing out in the snow fields this weekend.

thehaf

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited; 1995 Mitsubishi J-55 import
Occupation
Network Admin
Vehicle Showcase

Exh-kit-sml.jpg

Magnaflow Exhaust AFTER:

Magnaflow-JL-sml.jpg

Can't wait to hear what this sounds like. Want to change to the smaller, tucked away can but don't want it to be unbearably loud. 500 + miles commute a week it would get old quick.

Izzy901

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 Grand Cherokee
What did you do about mounting that 37 on the tire carrier? Or are you not mounting it yet?
Sponsored