Sponsored

Northridge4x4 Grade 8 Suspension Bolt Kits are Now Available!

Moto_21

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
Whoo-hoo, the Grimm Offroad grade 8 bolt kits are live on the Northridge4x4 website:
https://www.northridge4x4.com/part/hardware/10046-grimm-offroad-hardware-upgrade-kit

Screen Shot 2021-03-24 at 2.17.09 PM.png

Grimm Instructions are found here: https://support.grimmoffroad.com/Guide/JL+Hardware+Upgrade+Kit+Part+Number+10046/11

And we are getting ready to do an install video, should be ready for the Northridge4x4 Youtube channel in a couple weeks.
So can I just open a running tab with you guys? 🤣
Sponsored

MrFenderpicks

First Name
Ivan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
@Northridge4x4

I previously purchased the following from you guys. (Which it looks like one of those are discontinue now and there is a NEW set that is basically the combination of the 2 that i had purchased.

Item # NORJLGR8-1 & NORJLGR8-2 <~~ These i believe are in SAE

While the new set is in METRIC.

And while i was attempting to replace all my nuts and bolts this weekend.
I ran into the problem with my Front upper arm where the diameter of the replacement bolt was much smaller than the OE bolt with lots of wiggle space / room in my upper control arm bolt hole.
Which leads me to thinking i got supplied with incorrect bolts. (I have only install the Front lower arm nuts and bolt so far up to this point.)

And seeing how one of the kit got discontinued currently leads me thinking that there was a problem with these kits or some sort.

OP
OP
Northridge4x4

Northridge4x4

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.northridge4x4.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 Sahara JKU, 2013 Rubicon JKU
Occupation
Seller of badassery
We originally dropped the NORJLGR8-2 because of the flag nuts needed for the rear upper control arm bolts at the frame. We searched for a good manufacturer of flag nuts and never could find what we wanted.

As we are a parts retailer, not a manufacturer, we gave that project over to Grimm Offroad, so they could concentrate on it and get it finished. They combined the two kits into one, the GOR10046. That one kit covers all the bolts in both the NORJLGR8 kits.

They switched over to metric bolts to stay the same as factory and so they could reuse the OE flag nuts. They say they couldn't find a flag nut that was as good as the factory units.

The big benefit of the HD hardware kit is the smooth shank of the partially threaded bolt. It better matches the smooth bore of the bushing sleeves and won't dig into the bushing sleeves like a fully threaded bolt will.

MrFenderpicks

First Name
Ivan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
We originally dropped the NORJLGR8-2 because of the flag nuts needed for the rear upper control arm bolts at the frame. We searched for a good manufacturer of flag nuts and never could find what we wanted.

As we are a parts retailer, not a manufacturer, we gave that project over to Grimm Offroad, so they could concentrate on it and get it finished. They combined the two kits into one, the GOR10046. That one kit covers all the bolts in both the NORJLGR8 kits.

They switched over to metric bolts to stay the same as factory and so they could reuse the OE flag nuts. They say they couldn't find a flag nut that was as good as the factory units.

The big benefit of the HD hardware kit is the smooth shank of the partially threaded bolt. It better matches the smooth bore of the bushing sleeves and won't dig into the bushing sleeves like a fully threaded bolt will.

What about the fact that the replacement bolt from the older kit to be much smaller than the OE? In the position of the Upper front arm?

OP
OP
Northridge4x4

Northridge4x4

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.northridge4x4.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Seller of badassery
We can get that handled for you. Sending a PM your way.

Sponsored

MDG

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JKUR
I bought your original bolt kits for both upper and lower. I've only installed the lower so far. Am I reading this correct? Are you saying I won't be able to install the uppers as the the bolt set you sold me won't work with the stock flag nuts!?

OP
OP
Northridge4x4

Northridge4x4

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.northridge4x4.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Seller of badassery

MDG

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JKUR
@Northridge4x4 I bought two kits:

- NORJLR8-1: was for the lowers. This I have installed.
- NORJLGR8-2: is for the uppers and the one in question. I've not attempted to install these yet and am concerned it won't be possible because of issues described earlier in this discussion.

Thank you
Marc

OP
OP
Northridge4x4

Northridge4x4

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.northridge4x4.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Seller of badassery
The NORJLGRD8-2 kits do reuse the factory flag nuts.

They come with a full set of washers and nuts.

**Edited for changes to the kit**

Last edited:

Sponsored

Membrain

First Name
Dirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JTR / '21 XR392
Occupation
Engineer
Is it me or do the shoulders on the bolts NOT extend long enough through the mounts, i.e. leaving still a bit of thread inside the joint(s)?

OP
OP
Northridge4x4

Northridge4x4

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.northridge4x4.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Seller of badassery
OP
OP
Northridge4x4

Northridge4x4

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.northridge4x4.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Seller of badassery
Is it me or do the shoulders on the bolts NOT extend long enough through the mounts, i.e. leaving still a bit of thread inside the joint(s)?

You are correct they do not go all the way through. That would've required custom bolts and would have driven the price up quite a bit.

That said, the support from the longer shanks make a huge difference and have been proven for many years in all the JK bolt kits we've sold in the past decade.

Membrain

First Name
Dirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JTR / '21 XR392
Occupation
Engineer
Thank you for the clarification and updated parts information. :)

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
So I’ve got the most recent version of the Grimm hardware kit recently purchased from @Northridge4x4. I’ve read the instructions through several times to make sure, but the torque specs in the instructions differ, sometimes vastly, from the OE specs. I can understand if they were a little greater in some instances because the hardware is stronger. But the OE torque spec for the front LCA is 90 ft/lbs on both ends and Grimm spec is 215 ft/lbs. That’s significant. Meanwhile, the front UCA specs are 95 axle/120 frame and Grimm spec is 90/90. What’s up?
Sponsored