First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara Unlimited
Occupation
Retired
Hello fellow NC members! Just checking in. New JLUS owner. We live in south Florida this time of year, but come spring we'll be back in Charlotte. We're always interested in group rides...:)

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
Hello fellow NC members! Just checking in. New JLUS owner. We live in south Florida this time of year, but come spring we'll be back in Charlotte. We're always interested in group rides...:)
Welcome!
You must be old since you winter in FL but most of us won't hold that against you :)
Just warming you up for the ball busting that can occur... lol. Uwharie is our go to spot and it will open up again in March. We also have made trips out to Windrock in TN and The Gulches in SC. Look forward to meeting you and nice avatar pic.

Sponsored

Ran4

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara Unlimited
Occupation
Retired
Welcome!
You must be old since you winter in FL but most of us won't hold that against you :)
Just warming you up for the ball busting that can occur... lol. Uwharie is our go to spot and it will open up again in March. We also have made trips out to Windrock in TN and The Gulches in SC. Look forward to meeting you and nice avatar pic.
Thanks Mike.. Well, I'm a 'young at heart' 61 year old! I've been watching videos of rides in Uwharrie (there seem to be LOTS of them!) and Gulches. I've been to Windrock a few times years ago riding side-by-sides. We were very big into Polaris Rangers and RZRs for about a decade. That ended a few years back, but I've been missing the off-road experience ever since. I'd love to do more to the Sahara, but not only is it my DD, I also drive the 600~ miles between Charlotte and our FL digs several times per year, and I'm not willing to give up the nice quiet ride and relatively decent MPG. I have upgraded to 33" AT tires, 1.5" wheel spacers, and tomorrow I'm having a 1.5" spacer lift installed. That will have to do for now. The stock suspension height worked fine a couple of weeks ago when I was off-road with some folks from the Florida Roll Call in Withlacoochee Park west of Orlando (that's where the Avatar pic is from), but I did have minor fender well rubbing at full flex.

Thanks for the welcome, and I look forward to hooking up with others at Uwharrie and elsewhere..:)

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
Thanks Mike.. Well, I'm a 'young at heart' 61 year old! I've been watching videos of rides in Uwharrie (there seem to be LOTS of them!) and Gulches. I've been to Windrock a few times years ago riding side-by-sides. We were very big into Polaris Rangers and RZRs for about a decade. That ended a few years back, but I've been missing the off-road experience ever since. I'd love to do more to the Sahara, but not only is it my DD, I also drive the 600~ miles between Charlotte and our FL digs several times per year, and I'm not willing to give up the nice quiet ride and relatively decent MPG. I have upgraded to 33" AT tires, 1.5" wheel spacers, and tomorrow I'm having a 1.5" spacer lift installed. That will have to do for now. The stock suspension height worked fine a couple of weeks ago when I was off-road with some folks from the Florida Roll Call in Withlacoochee Park west of Orlando (that's where the Avatar pic is from), but I did have minor fender well rubbing at full flex.

Thanks for the welcome, and I look forward to hooking up with others at Uwharrie and elsewhere..:)
Welcome! We have folks on trails pretty much every weekend. Looking forward to meeting you.

melendez69

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 3.6 JLR / 2013 911 / 2013 E92 M3
Occupation
...huh?
Vehicle Showcase
Many welcomes... what part of Charlotte?

Sponsored

Tar Heel Wrangler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Willys Sport, JT Mojave, Sold JLU Sport S
Occupation
Cigar & IPA Snob
Greetings All!

Rich from Asheville here...just picked up my 2020 Wrangler S two weeks ago...Love it!!!
Welcome! Asheville is great city. Love the breweries there, especially Wicked Weed (even though they sold out).

My daughter was playing soccer for UNC Asheville (freshman) but just transferred to UNCC for the spring. Bummer, I was hoping to be up there a lot to camp, fly fish and do another run on Hurricane Creek. They did stock some of those Mountain trout down here in RDU though in December. We caught 9 rainbows on Monday, which is nice.

melendez69

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 3.6 JLR / 2013 911 / 2013 E92 M3
Occupation
...huh?
Vehicle Showcase
Greetings All!

Rich from Asheville here...just picked up my 2020 Wrangler S two weeks ago...Love it!!!
Welcome aboard... are you anywheres near the trails in Pisgah?

Healthybaker, huh... like kale smoothies, quinoa, & veggie burgers? ;)

foxswimmer

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLUR, '04 Mazda3, '13 Sienna (because kids)
Apologies in advance if this is not the appropriate thread for this question ...

I live in the Triangle area, and am the happy owner of a 2020 JLUR (my first wrangler). So far it is stock except for a few cosmetic mods. I am researching upgrading from the stock 285/70/17 Falken M/T tires to either a 315/70/17 or 35x12.5-17 (looking at Milestar Patagonia, Nitto RG, or KO2).

A few points:

1. I want to stay with the stock wheels (for now).
2. I have the steel bumper group, and from my research it seems like I will be fine with the stock tire carrier.
3. I'd like to try them without a lift first.

I've read several threads about chain tire shops like Discount Tire mounting a 315/70/17 on the stock wheels, but refusing to mount a 35x12.5-17. I have not yet called around to confirm.

Question about the lift that may be in my future ... does anyone have any recommendations for local shops that will install a lift kit? I know it is something that can be done on your own, but I am not super handy and have never tackled something of that magnitude before. Thus, I'd like to hear what others have done who had their lift installed by a shop. Maybe once I get some quotes I may change my mind and decide to tackle it myself :)

Thanks!
Sponsored