North Carolina Roll Call

eck

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU MOAB HellaYella
well the 3.6 is anything but simple. DOHC, VVT, ESS, computer controlled throttle... Stick with the LJ and that 4.0, lol!
And be glad that your transfer case can't have electrical gremlins and there's no front axle disconnect
Sponsored

melendez69

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 3.6 JLR / 2013 911 / 2013 E92 M3
Occupation
...huh?
Vehicle Showcase
@ThirtyOne ... I may have to stay local... After replacing the track bar with the Yeti, my JL feels a little strange. Maybe it's just me. Steering wheel was off as expected and I straightened it by the drag link, but the ride feels different.

@chevymitchell ... are you riding any trails Saturday or Sunday?

OP
OP
chevymitchell

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Pain Train), 2022 2500 AT4
Occupation
Avi Engineer
@ThirtyOne ... I may have to stay local... After replacing the track bar with the Yeti, my JL feels a little strange. Maybe it's just me. Steering wheel was off as expected and I straightened it by the drag link, but the ride feels different.

@chevymitchell ... are you riding any trails Saturday or Sunday?
I have the full steer smarts linkage under mine. It improved everything, especially with the 37's. If all you did was replace the trackbar, then your steering wheel shouldn't have been off. If you needed to adjust your steering wheel, the your front axle is likely tracking too far left or right and it will feel like it's crabbing a hair. Check out your springs and see if they look straight and measure the amount of tire sticking out of the fender on each side up front.

I'll be running trails all day Friday and Saturday with the Jamboree. I'll head home after I wake up and pack up camp Sunday morning.

Sponsored

OP
OP
chevymitchell

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Avi Engineer
5.13s are too tall for an auto, no?
IMO... 5.13 pinions are too small for the 44 housing, but too tall for the auto... no. It's pushing the limit of a practical interstate machine with 35's, but with 37's, it would do alright. Some people swear by them, but I don't agree. The acceleration down low is addicting and seems nice, but again, the pinion is pretty small for those that wheel hard.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Tundra Limited
Hey everyone! I love about 45 min from the Hurricane Creek trail. Is it worth the ride over? Any issues with a stock Rubi? It sounds like there are a few trails in and out? Any good map links?

melendez69

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
...huh?
Vehicle Showcase
I have the full steer smarts linkage under mine. It improved everything, especially with the 37's. If all you did was replace the trackbar, then your steering wheel shouldn't have been off. If you needed to adjust your steering wheel, the your front axle is likely tracking too far left or right and it will feel like it's crabbing a hair. Check out your springs and see if they look straight and measure the amount of tire sticking out of the fender on each side up front.

I'll be running trails all day Friday and Saturday with the Jamboree. I'll head home after I wake up and pack up camp Sunday morning.
I replaced the trackbar and added front LCA skids, but all then entailed was disconnecting the control arms. I read in a few other threads of others having to adjust their steering wheel after replacing their trackbars, so I figured that was natural for some. The ESC light came on, but disappeared after I straightened the steering wheel. Springs look normal, and I checked the tires a few times & the amount of tire protruding from the front fenders is still even.*** I don't get any drifting, but stopping feels a little more rougher than I remember.

***Upon further review... I took a better look in daylight, and the passenger-side wheel looks to be sticking out just a spinch more than driver-side. Please don't tell me I'm gonna have to re-do the track bar. But if you do, my feelings wouldn't be hurt.

Last edited:

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
Hey everyone! I love about 45 min from the Hurricane Creek trail. Is it worth the ride over? Any issues with a stock Rubi? It sounds like there are a few trails in and out? Any good map links?
Definitely worth checking out. No problem with a stock Rubi. I haven’t found a good map.
The key is to find the turn-off from the highway. Then once you are on the trail you bear right at the first fork and left at the second (though you can go right too but technically that’s a different road).

OP
OP
chevymitchell

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Avi Engineer
I replaced the trackbar and added front LCA skids, but all then entailed was disconnecting the control arms. I read in a few other threads of others having to adjust their steering wheel after replacing their trackbars, so I figured that was natural for some. The ESC light came on, but disappeared after I straightened the steering wheel. Springs look normal, and I checked the tires a few times & the amount of tire protruding from the front fenders is still even.*** I don't get any drifting, but stopping feels a little more rougher than I remember.

***Upon further review... I took a better look in daylight, and the passenger-side wheel looks to be sticking out just a spinch more than driver-side. Please don't tell me I'm gonna have to re-do the track bar. But if you do, my feelings wouldn't be hurt.
She just needs an alignment. It's not just centering the front, it's getting it to track correctly with the rear axle, too. That, plus setting the toe.

Sponsored

melendez69

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
...huh?
Vehicle Showcase
She just needs an alignment. It's not just centering the front, it's getting it to track correctly with the rear axle, too. That, plus setting the toe.
Thank you for being a wealth of information. The guidance is certainly appreciated.

Stormin’ Moorman

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR, 20 JLUR, 21 JL, 21 GCL, 89 YJ, 04 LJ
Occupation
Forester
Vehicle Showcase
Hey fellas, I'll be traversing NC early next week (Wilmington to CLT) and i was going to swing by the Uwharrie OHV area and tackle Dickie Bell. Is there a preferred route through the OHV if you have half-a-day to spend?

The only time I've been there is when I worked for the USFS out of Asheville about 10 years ago and took the government rig (XJ) on some of those trails, lol. And got paid to do it.

Thanks for any suggestions

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
Hey fellas, I'll be traversing NC early next week (Wilmington to CLT) and i was going to swing by the Uwharrie OHV area and tackle Dickie Bell. Is there a preferred route through the OHV if you have half-a-day to

The only time I've been there is when I worked for the USFS out of Asheville about 10 years ago and took the government rig (XJ) on some of those trails, lol. And got paid to do it.

Thanks for any suggestions
Hey. So what we usually do is take Rocky Mount to Dickey Bell. You have a few options but if you have a little time you can take the long way around Rocky Mount as a warmup. At the end of Dickey Bell you have a few options as well. You can take the road out, hit Falls Dam, or go back up and pick up Dutch John.

what day will you be there?

FreddieV63

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Wrangler Unlimited Willies Wheeler
Hi I just bought my first Jeep. A 2014 Unlimited Willies Wheeler. I live in Western NC. I would like to try some beginner
off road trails. Any ideas? Also any tips about owning a 2014 Wrangler?
Sponsored