Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
Maybe I’m mistaken but the end of wolf den is falls dam isn’t it? I thought any trails that started with a “D” was a “harder” trail. But doesn’t wolf den run right into falls dam? Those are rather easy trails and did them a month ago or so.
The D's are the harder trails. If you jump on Wolf's Den from the Wolf's Den parking area and don't turn off of it it will take you to Dutch John. I assume that was Wolf's Den all the way up to Dutch John but there is a turn off that may be Wolf's Den. I don't know, I'm sure I confused everyone at this point. I just know that you can get on Dutch John right off the main road before you get to the big pond in the upper parking lot.
Sponsored

MadDog27

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Tacoma
Vehicle Showcase
Aaawww gotcha. Wish I could go this weekend but we are heading out of town. I may try to hit Uwharrie next weekend though. Enjoy the trails everyone!

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Aaawww gotcha. Wish I could go this weekend but we are heading out of town. I may try to hit Uwharrie next weekend though. Enjoy the trails everyone!
Ditto here. PM me or post here if you go, maybe we can meet up.

UNC Rubicon

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Billet Silver JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Maybe I’m mistaken but the end of wolf den is falls dam isn’t it? I thought any trails that started with a “D” was a “harder” trail. But doesn’t wolf den run right into falls dam? Those are rather easy trails and did them a month ago or so.
If you run Wolf Den from the parking lot, you’ll take a sharp left (almost a 180), right before the end, to get on Dutch John.

DFAE6D27-D5D9-4923-9D26-37CADAD3660E.jpeg

MadDog27

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Tacoma
Vehicle Showcase
Ahhh, I see what we did. We did wolf den, then hit 516 to falls dam so we did get off the trail for a bit. Yeah I wasn’t sure the crew I was with wanted to try Dutch John.

Sponsored

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Ahhh, I see what we did. We did wolf den, then hit 516 to falls dam so we did get off the trail for a bit. Yeah I wasn’t sure the crew I was with wanted to try Dutch John.
Dutch John has decent bypasses for the baby rock garden and gully/ruts. The only thing that must be done is the major gully at the end which really isn't all that bad IMO.

pennsoxfan

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel, 2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S
We are heading to Ocean Isle Beach for the week, and while we are down there I was thinking about checking out Freeman Park or Fort Fisher for some beach driving. I've never been to either before... Is one better than the other?

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
We are heading to Ocean Isle Beach for the week, and while we are down there I was thinking about checking out Freeman Park or Fort Fisher for some beach driving. I've never been to either before... Is one better than the other?
Freeman is more crowded because alcohol and camping is allowed. Good luck, there is a high probability you won't get on either. They have closed them to anyone who does not have a season pass or already had camping permits. The beach has been taking a beating and they are letting it recover.
I heard this was going to be the case for this season.
To answer your question they are both very nice but pricey. It's $40 to get on so you might as well drop the $75 to get the season pass and it's my understanding that the passes aren't for both, it's either or. We have a Fort Fisher pass.

pennsoxfan

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Freeman is more crowded because alcohol and camping is allowed. Good luck, there is a high probability you won't get on either. They have closed them to anyone who does not have a season pass or already had camping permits. The beach has been taking a beating and they are letting it recover.
I heard this was going to be the case for this season.
To answer your question they are both very nice but pricey. It's $40 to get on so you might as well drop the $75 to get the season pass and it's my understanding that the passes aren't for both, it's either or. We have a Fort Fisher pass.
Ah ok, glad I asked. I see now on the Freeman Park website that they are only allowing daily passes on weekdays. Weekends are restricted to annual pass holders. I don't see anything on the Fort Fisher website, so I e-mailed them.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Ah ok, glad I asked. I see now on the Freeman Park website that they are only allowing daily passes on weekdays. Weekends are restricted to annual pass holders. I don't see anything on the Fort Fisher website, so I e-mailed them.
I would call FOrt Fisher if you are heading out today or tomorrow.

Sponsored

pennsoxfan

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I would call FOrt Fisher if you are heading out today or tomorrow.
Just heard back from Fort Fisher. Weekend day permits are available and they cost $30. They said they don’t have any restrictions on numbers/types of permits sold.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Just heard back from Fort Fisher. Weekend day permits are available and they cost $30. They said they don’t have any restrictions on numbers/types of permits sold.
Nice! Must only be Freeman beach then. You'll like it.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Tundra Limited
Hey NC friends! I’m new here and am now waiting for my new ride to arrive. Are there any clubs or folks here from the far west? I’m gonna be looking for trails and friends.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
Hey NC friends! I’m new here and am now waiting for my new ride to arrive. Are there any clubs or folks here from the far west? I’m gonna be looking for trails and friends.
Welcome! I’m sure there are some folks by out your way. We try to get around the region as much as we can. We are planning to run Hurricane Creek up near Asheville over Labor Day weekend if you are interested. We’ve got a group text where we announce any planned trail runs. PM me your name and phone number if you want to join.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Welcome! Most of us reside over here on the Eastern side but like @ThirtyOne said we try to get around and always let each other know when we are hitting a trail.
Hurricane Creek and Brown Mountain are out your way and you aren't far from Windrock in TN. If you can make it over our way we can run Uwharie.
Where are you located? My in-laws are in Waynesville and we go there pretty often. They live 20 mins from Hurricane Creek.
To my knowledge none of us are in clubs, we just ride together when we can. But if we were in a club we'd be called the "NC Roll Callers"... lol.
Sponsored