Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
So it turns out as we were driving in to Ouray, @chevymitchell was headed up and around Denver headed to CA... lol. Apparently Shawn and I are allowed to be in the same state but not off road together :)

Today we did Ophir Pass which is a badge trail. Technically speaking it's a .5 on a scale of 10. The worst you have is a tight turn and and area of very loose shale that is only wide enough for one Jeep, oh and if you swerve off the trail you are pretty much dead.
Now, what it lacked in challenge it more than made up for in views... UNREAL. I will post pictures on that other thread I will start when I get time to sift through them all. We saw the remains of at least 12 avalanches and I can now see why these trails have been closed. Ouray got WAY more snowfall this year and you can see where the avalanches have come down and it is amazing the destruction they cause to the forest on the way down. 12" and larger trees snapped like tooth picks. It was cool being in the middle of July and standing next to a 15 foot snow bank though :)
Tomorrow we do Yankee Basin and the next day Aninas Pass and Cinnamon Pass.

Last edited:

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
We are on the second last day of the return of a our trip. Right now staying in the $hithole of a town called Memphis TN. Why in the world we booked here I don't know. Anyway the decision has been made... we are moving out West, most likely Moab. Anyone want to buy a flower shop in Raleigh? :)
The biggest reason is because the lack of humidity makes my wife's health issues 99% go away, the second reason is it puts us in the heart of off roading and the third reason is it is 4 hours from Ouray.

Guys (and Gals) if you can make that trip out West you won't regret it. When we get back I will be starting the trip thread and post a link here.

suzookus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah my friend is an instructor at VIR and he took me there in his C5 Z06, darn near pooped myself... 164 mph on the back side. He now has a C7 Z06 track package and wow... that thing is SICK 650 hp and 650 ft/lb torque, it's a whole new ball game.
I used to ride racing cycles at VIR. One of my favorite tracks.

suzookus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
We are on the second last day of the return of a our trip. Right now staying in the $hithole of a town called Memphis TN. Why in the world we booked here I don't know. Anyway the decision has been made... we are moving out West, most likely Moab. Anyone want to buy a flower shop in Raleigh? :)
The biggest reason is because the lack of humidity makes my wife's health issues 99% go away, the second reason is it puts us in the heart of off roading and the third reason is it is 4 hours from Ouray.

Guys (and Gals) if you can make that trip out West you won't regret it. When we get back I will be starting the trip thread and post a link here.
Check out the Tahoe area. Was there last month for vacation and some RZR trails. Beautiful area.

Sponsored

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
OK, I was bored and at least uploaded the videos. They never do it justice and they aren't spectacular by any stretch of the imagination but they are fun and great memories. Enjoy...

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Last two. The funny thing about the waterfall on Poison Spider Mesa is you can't bypass it at all BUT the smaller easier waterfalls BEFORE the main one have winch points to help you get up them. SMH.
Unfortunately the last part of that video is not around anymore. It shows me leaving some rubber behind and climbing the last most difficult part with open diffs :)

Sponsored

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Driving around Fuquay area will leave your arm tired from waving :)
LOL, Apex is pretty good too.

Here's an irony... basically no one waives in Moab or Ouray. I suspect it's because your arm and hand would eventually become numb from constantly waiving.

mic.rempel

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon, 2018 Grand Cherokee
Hey just found this thread. Wife and I just moved to Holly Springs from Phoenix, AZ in March. Haven't hit the trails here yet, looking forward to it!

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
Hey just found this thread. Wife and I just moved to Holly Springs from Phoenix, AZ in March. Haven't hit the trails here yet, looking forward to it!
Got plenty of guys in your area on this thread. Welcome!

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Welcome aboard! We are hitting Uwharie this Saturday.
Sponsored