North Carolina Roll Call

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
Don't forget that we have a badass Driveshaft MFG here in the Triad. I just ordered a rear shaft for Pain Train so I can at least move it in and out of the garage under its own power. I have to go through the brake system yet and bleed it, but I'm also adding caliper isolating valves. This way I can shut off individual calipers if one should fail. I can always just remove that brake caliper from the axle and continue wheeling or get back to the trailhead.

https://oliversdriveshaft.com/
I haven't pulled the trigger yet, but he was in the ballpark of the guys you see online for the 1350 front shafts, but was significantly less on the 1310s when I spoke with them in December. Will likely be who I use when I finally bite the bullet.
Sponsored

OP
OP
chevymitchell

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Pain Train), 2022 2500 AT4
Occupation
Avi Engineer
I haven't pulled the trigger yet, but he was in the ballpark of the guys you see online for the 1350 front shafts, but was significantly less on the 1310s when I spoke with them in December. Will likely be who I use when I finally bite the bullet.
Right on. I had an Adam's on Honey Badger and Fat Ninja used the stock shafts. I wanted to stay local this time around. My intention was to use Oliver's with Honey Badger, but I broke the rear DS in Moab last year, so my options to get one ASAP were limited to Adam's or Tom Wood's at the time.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
I have always picked up the 2.5lb. No recommendation outside of that. I like the idea of the Element extinguisher and will be what I get for Pain Train when the time comes.
Personally, when I wheel, I always hook this up to the hitch....

Jeep Wrangler JL North Carolina Roll Call 1655219532063

ogo

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Hydro Blue JULRD
Occupation
Systems Administrator
So I think I'm hitting Uwharrie Saturday. At the very least to get an idea of what's down there. Still bone stock with no recovery gear at this time, but this is just something to wet the appetite so to speak.
If anyone will be there as well, shoot me a PM and we can connect. :)

Sponsored

Remorseless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JLR 2.0T, '21 KL TH 3.2, '19 Charger R/T 5.7
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Holier Than Thou Internet Bully, Part-Time Online Boy Scout, Full-Time Arson Enthusiast
So I think I'm hitting Uwharrie Saturday. At the very least to get an idea of what's down there. Still bone stock with no recovery gear at this time, but this is just something to wet the appetite so to speak.
Have fun! YMMV, but I like to run Wolf's Den > Falls Dam to warm up, then decide either Dickey Bell (if it's your first time, this one is one of the more technical ones, the big climb is intimidating if you've never done it before but really isn't that bad), or instead do Rocky Mtn Loop. I also recommend going up the back side of Daniel - gorgeous views and it's as easy or hard as you want to make it with a ton of different lines. Solo, without recovery gear, and for your first time I may suggest waiting till you've got someone with you for Dickey Bell just to do some spotting.

Reactions: ogo

conFUcius

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting-Gray JLU Rubicon 3.6 V6
Occupation
Medical Affairs
@stormymk and @a23persaud might be hitting up URE tomorrow. Not sure what time?

ogo

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Hydro Blue JULRD
Occupation
Systems Administrator
@stormymk and @a23persaud might be hitting up URE tomorrow. Not sure what time?
Didn't have anything set in stone, so probably around noon. Currently planning on hitting the Eldorado to get my pass and see what's happening from there.

Remorseless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Holier Than Thou Internet Bully, Part-Time Online Boy Scout, Full-Time Arson Enthusiast
Didn't have anything set in stone, so probably around noon. Currently planning on hitting the Eldorado to get my pass and see what's happening from there.
So, did you go? And if you did, did you survive? :P

Sponsored

ogo

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Hydro Blue JULRD
Occupation
Systems Administrator
So, did you go? And if you did, did you survive? :P
Yes and Yes :)
Though to be fair I found myself mostly just tooling around. Did hit the Falls Dam run going uphill, had to make way for a group of 4, but other than that it was quiet and a fun little run. Also hit the mud pit / watering hole at the top of the run before Wolf's Den. Since it had rained the night before, the water was just above the bottom of the door sills. Drove home with that all over the bottom of my jeep :)

I've since washed it, but of course there is still evidence on the plastic fenders (red spotting from our wonderful NC soil)

I think I would like to put some skid plates on before attempting some of the other harder trails.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
I think I would like to put some skid plates on before attempting some of the other harder trails.
They'll get some use all right!

Remorseless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Yes and Yes :)
Though to be fair I found myself mostly just tooling around. Did hit the Falls Dam run going uphill, had to make way for a group of 4, but other than that it was quiet and a fun little run. Also hit the mud pit / watering hole at the top of the run before Wolf's Den. Since it had rained the night before, the water was just above the bottom of the door sills. Drove home with that all over the bottom of my jeep :)

I've since washed it, but of course there is still evidence on the plastic fenders (red spotting from our wonderful NC soil)

Glad you made it out! Now that you played in the soup bowl though, you're going to be attacked by tiny orange clay eye missiles every time you get under the Jeep lol. That mess gets into every nook and cranny on the Jeep and you'll never get it all. At least, that's my experience.

But yeah, some skids and you'd be able to do most of the stuff out there - kind of meh about how much of the engine oil pan and trans oil pan is exposed on these JLs. Lift definitely makes it easier though too.

Last edited:

EpochTraveler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

I finally managed to get through some upgrades on the EpochTraveler and got it out too Windrock to shake out (will head back to Uwharrie next). Put on an AEV DualSport RT suspension, AEV steering damper, Yeti track bars, LOD bumper and 37 inch KO2s.

What are y'alls thoughts on the next round of upgrades? Re-gearing is coming, working on that in my head now. What is the NC Roll Call's thoughts on ball joints, axel trusses, gussets, and all the fun things that come up with larger tires? I'm a rookie, don't wheel hard yet, and tend to be easy on the skinny pedal.

IMG_2950.jpeg

IMG_2937.jpeg
Sponsored