stormymk

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Firecracker Red
Vehicle Showcase
Well, nothing except the front side of Daniel will give you any trouble at all. The rock garden on DB is about as difficult as it gets at URE, I wouldn't worry about breaking anything.
Sounds good - So who is up for this weekend?

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP
chevymitchell

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Pain Train), 2022 2500 AT4
Occupation
Avi Engineer
Sounds good - So who is up for this weekend?
Sorry, man. Mine isn't ready yet and I'm booked up for about every weekend for 2 months. It'll be a little bit. I think the next trip I'll be available for is Rausch Creek in December.

@UNC Rubicon is putting that one together.

Sponsored

stormymk

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry... our Uwharie days are over as of now. I'll be out of town as well.
I thought you weren't moving until mid October? Oh well, was hoping to ride on last time with you but maybe sometime if I get over to Utah.

Sorry, man. Mine isn't ready yet and I'm booked up for about every weekend for 2 months. It'll be a little bit. I think the next trip I'll be available for is Rausch Creek in December.

PA in December, sounds interesting.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I thought you weren't moving until mid October? Oh well, was hoping to ride on last time with you but maybe sometime if I get over to Utah.

PA in December, sounds interesting.
Yep, 10/17 is the day we head out but that leaves two weekends :) I'm out of town this weekend and I can't risk damage the week before we move. See you in Utah :)

Tar Heel Wrangler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Willys Sport, JT Mojave, Sold JLU Sport S
Occupation
Cigar & IPA Snob
Yeah it's not so bad as long as you avoid the obviously in-your-face difficult parts, which are few and far between.

I had every intention of leaving my Jeep stock. Then I went to Uwharrie and became friends with those erosion humps. After that, I knew (1) I would be going back to Uwharrie rather frequently, and (2) I needed lift/tires in my life solely to deal with the erosion humps because it drove me nuts.
When I was stock in my Sport, I hit pretty much all of the erosion mounds unless I made an "S" going over them. I went back after getting 33s and Rubi suspension and I didn't scrape very many.

Reactions: eck

stormymk

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
So talking about Uwahrrie, the one area I am always concerned about hurting is the diff and have been looking at getting it covered. Reading through @mgroeger story made me even more paranoid and was wondering if there were any advantages of one brand over another at this point.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
So talking about Uwahrrie, the one area I am always concerned about hurting is the diff and have been looking at getting it covered. Reading through @mgroeger story made me even more paranoid and was wondering if there were any advantages of one brand over another at this point.
We are running the Metal Cloak golden diaper on the rear and the Rancho up front. Both have taken a beating and held up well. The Rancho did bend a tick but nothing major, it did what it was paid to do.

The front axle is the most vulnerable since it's drain plug is exposed on the bottom. The Rubi rear axle is safer in that the drain plug is on the side of the housing and not exposed to the rocks. If money is tight and you can only do one I would choose the front axle first.

Sponsored

stormymk

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
We are running the Metal Cloak golden diaper on the rear and the Rancho up front. Both have taken a beating and held up well. The Rancho did bend a tick but nothing major, it did what it was paid to do.

The front axle is the most vulnerable since it's drain plug is exposed on the bottom. The Rubi rear axle is safer in that the drain plug is on the side of the housing and not exposed to the rocks. If money is tight and you can only do one I would choose the front axle first.
Thanks @mgroeger so would you recommend MC for the front as well vs the Rancho based on some of the damage you have experienced or would you still do the Rancho again?

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks @mgroeger so would you recommend MC for the front as well vs the Rancho based on some of the damage you have experienced or would you still do the Rancho again?
Nope. I don't like that to use MC up front you need to use their diff cover and I don't like the design of the diff cover. Diff covers have a certain shape to them to promote proper fluid dispersion and MC throws that right out the window.

UNC Rubicon

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Billet Silver JLUR
Vehicle Showcase

I guess I should actually start planning at some point. I think a hotel would be the best bet. Don’t get me wrong, I like to camp but I’m not sure I can do multiple nights of sub freezing weather in a tent.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
I like to camp but I’m not sure I can do multiple nights of sub freezing weather in a tent.
Good Call... I did more than my fair share of that.

jdubya421

First Name
Jakob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2-Door MT V6
Build Thread
Link
I guess I should actually start planning at some point. I think a hotel would be the best bet. Don’t get me wrong, I like to camp but I’m not sure I can do multiple nights of sub freezing weather in a tent.
I'll just hope the heater buddy can keep me alive.
Sponsored