UNC Rubicon

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Billet Silver JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I can’t wait for it to open. I want to hit dicky bell and get my first badge of honor!
There are a lot of us that earned our first BoH on that trail. Hopefully I’ll be able to go with you when you earn it. We’ve got other trips coming up this summer that will help you earn another 3.
Sponsored

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
The Mrs. build is coming along nicely. Here's some pics of the new Road Armor fenders and Artec @Artec fender liners. Only the fronts were ready, the rears are still in fabrication. The fenders REALLY open up the front end, don't think she will need to worry about rubbing :)
So far we've done...
Teraflex ST3, DV8 beadlocks, 37" Pats, Teraflex track bar, Steer Smarts tie rod and drag link, Falcon 2.1 steering stabilizer, Falcon 3.1 shocks, Metalcloak discos, Tailgate reinforcement bracket, Road Armor fenders (all 4), Artec front fender liners, Rubi rails, Rubi steel front bumper, Warn winch plate.

First pic still has old bumper and rock rails.

IMG_3070.jpg
IMG_3087.jpg
IMG_3086.jpg
IMG_3088.jpg
IMG_3109.jpg
IMG_3092.jpg
IMG_3108.jpg

MadDog27

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Tacoma
Vehicle Showcase
The Mrs. build is coming along nicely. Here's some pics of the new Road Armor fenders and Artec @Artec fender liners. Only the fronts were ready, the rears are still in fabrication. The fenders REALLY open up the front end, don't think she will need to worry about rubbing :)
So far we've done...
Teraflex ST3, DV8 beadlocks, 37" Pats, Teraflex track bar, Steer Smarts tie rod and drag link, Falcon 2.1 steering stabilizer, Falcon 3.1 shocks, Metalcloak discos, Tailgate reinforcement bracket, Road Armor fenders (all 4), Artec front fender liners, Rubi rails, Rubi steel front bumper, Warn winch plate.

First pic still has old bumper and rock rails.
Just curious why you chose the Teraflex track bar vs the steer smarts when you went with them for the tie rod and drag link?

Been looking at both and on the fence, so reason for the ask.

eck

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU MOAB HellaYella
I've had the Teraflex track bar for only a few months now and I'm not thrilled. The grease boots for the bushings are pretty bad. Both sides slipped off on the axle end, and one side on the frame end already has a tear.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I've had the Teraflex track bar for only a few months now and I'm not thrilled. The grease boots for the bushings are pretty bad. Both sides slipped off on the axle end, and one side on the frame end already has a tear.
Hmmmm.... not sure which track bar you bought but the Teraflex one I have does not have any sort of greasable ends. I've had zero problems with it so far. Could you post some pics?

I would contact Teraflex as well since they have a warranty on their stuff.

https://www.northridge4x4.com/part/...-forged-adjustable-front-track-bar-0-6in-lift

Sponsored

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Just curious why you chose the Teraflex track bar vs the steer smarts when you went with them for the tie rod and drag link?

Been looking at both and on the fence, so reason for the ask.
I was all set to buy the Steer Smarts one and when I was talking to the guy at Northridge4x4 I asked why there was a Steer Smarts and a Steer Smarts XD track bar for the JL. He said that the original version (the non XD version) was having some trouble with the bushings from people who were really wheeling hard with them so they came out with the XD version. He recommended the Teraflex one since it had the Alpine lifetime bushings. It also looks like they only carry the XD version now.
I have the Steer Smarts track bar on my Jeep and have no complaints.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Also I would order from Northridge4x4 asap. Use the "jlwranglerforums" for a discount and if you order asap you might get away with no taxes. They are changing over to start charging taxes this month.

eck

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU MOAB HellaYella
Hmmmm.... not sure which track bar you bought but the Teraflex one I have does not have any sort of greasable ends. I've had zero problems with it so far. Could you post some pics?

I would contact Teraflex as well since they have a warranty on their stuff.

https://www.northridge4x4.com/part/...-forged-adjustable-front-track-bar-0-6in-lift
We have the same one. They are not supposed to be greaseable (there's no zerk fitting) but both bushings are packed with grease and there are four rubber boots (front and back side, on both ends of the trackbar). The problem seems to be that the boots are retained in place by very flimsy "springs" that can pop loose easily on their own. They're basically metal rubber bands. Something more like a proper snap ring would have been much better (although it might cut into the boot, maybe that's why they did it this way).

I don't have any pics right now, but if you click full-size and look very closely at the frame end on the product pic here you can see the retaining "spring" where the boot meets the main body of the trackbar:

5cdd124cc0afa2007507f6a1.jpg

eck

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU MOAB HellaYella
Also I would order from Northridge4x4 asap. Use the "jlwranglerforums" for a discount and if you order asap you might get away with no taxes. They are changing over to start charging taxes this month.
Noooooooooooo, that was the best part of Northridge!

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
We have the same one. They are not supposed to be greaseable (there's no zerk fitting) but both bushings are packed with grease and there are four rubber boots (front and back side, on both ends of the trackbar). The problem seems to be that the boots are retained in place by very flimsy "springs" that can pop loose easily on their own. They're basically metal rubber bands. Something more like a proper snap ring would have been much better (although it might cut into the boot, maybe that's why they did it this way).

I don't have any pics right now, but if you click full-size and look very closely at the frame end on the product pic here you can see the retaining "spring" where the boot meets the main body of the trackbar:

5cdd124cc0afa2007507f6a1.jpg
OK, I know exactly what you are talking about. I will keep an eye on mine. Question: Obviously there should be zero side to side play on a track bar and I do not have any. However you can grab the track bar and"wiggle" it, as in there is about 1/8" of movement "turning" the track bar front to back. I called Teraflex and they confirmed that is by design that they want a tiny bit of play like that to allow for easy movement during flex.
Do me a favor and grab your track bar and "rotate" it with your hand and see if you have the same.

Yeah, I have saved hundreds on sales tax with them and it sucks that they are cutting over now. At least all of our major purchases are over now :)

Sponsored

eck

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU MOAB HellaYella
Question: Obviously there should be zero side to side play on a track bar and I do not have any. However you can grab the track bar and"wiggle" it, as in there is about 1/8" of movement "turning" the track bar front to back. I called Teraflex and they confirmed that is by design that they want a tiny bit of play like that to allow for easy movement during flex.
Do me a favor and grab your track bar and "rotate" it with your hand and see if you have the same.
Yeah mine is exactly the same, a bit of rotational movement but absolutely no lateral movement.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah mine is exactly the same, a bit of rotational movement but absolutely no lateral movement.
I'll keep an eye on the boots. I would def reach out to Teraflex, they will take care of you.

Meanwhile... I can't believe we live 5 mins apart and have yet to see each other. A bright yellow Moab and a built Fat Ninja... lol.

eck

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU MOAB HellaYella
I'll keep an eye on the boots. I would def reach out to Teraflex, they will take care of you.

Meanwhile... I can't believe we live 5 mins apart and have yet to see each other. A bright yellow Moab and a built Fat Ninja... lol.
It really is amazing. I see 100 different Jeeps a week, but still haven't run across Fat Ninja, the Saharacon, or the LJ when you still had it.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Heading to the in-laws this weekend which means we will probably run Hurricane Creek. Let me know if anyone else will be up there and we can meet up.

UNC Rubicon

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Billet Silver JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Heading to the in-laws this weekend which means we will probably run Hurricane Creek. Let me know if anyone else will be up there and we can meet up.
I’ve heard rumblings that Hurricane Creek has been closed. Couple folks posted on Facebook that gates were going up at both ends. Hopefully that’s not true. Let us know how it goes.
Sponsored