North Carolina Roll Call

eck

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU MOAB HellaYella
I'm guessing you were flying through the rock garden at the time? ;)

Uwharrie is definitely not free of hazards, I got high centered pretty bad my first time there. But the majority of the park isn't that hard on the Jeep. My main issue seems to be rubbing the belly on those erosion humps.
Yeah it's not so bad as long as you avoid the obviously in-your-face difficult parts, which are few and far between.

I had every intention of leaving my Jeep stock. Then I went to Uwharrie and became friends with those erosion humps. After that, I knew (1) I would be going back to Uwharrie rather frequently, and (2) I needed lift/tires in my life solely to deal with the erosion humps because it drove me nuts.
Sponsored

eck

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU MOAB HellaYella
Yeah it's not so bad as long as you avoid the obviously in-your-face difficult parts, which are few and far between.

I had every intention of leaving my Jeep stock. Then I went to Uwharrie and became friends with those erosion humps. After that, I knew (1) I would be going back to Uwharrie rather frequently, and (2) I needed lift/tires in my life solely to deal with the erosion humps because it drove me nuts.
A bit more context about those humps, for those new to Uwharrie and/or thinking about upgrades...

When I went stock in my 4dr Moab on 32s, I scraped on most of the humps. If you go slow and pick your line with some care, it's no big deal but it's really annoying. Today with Dynatrac 2" lift and 35s, I don't scrape.

My friend with his stock 4dr Rubicon on 33s, scraped occasionally. I probably scraped 10x for every one time he did.

My other friend with his stock 2dr Sport on whatever the stock Sport tires are (31 or 32?), was fine. I don't think he scraped a single time. The breakover angle on the 2dr is great, the humps don't matter at all.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase

This was my first time at Uwharrie and @obwahn managed to catch one of my scrapes, lol. This was with the Rubi suspension installed and the factory 32s.

And here is an example of a poor choice of line...

Jeep Wrangler JL North Carolina Roll Call IMG_6182.JPG

But I'm still impressed with how easily the Jeep handles everything else. The next Jeep will more than likely be a Rubicon though. I just like the tire options with the 17 inch wheels a lot better.

OP
OP
chevymitchell

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Pain Train), 2022 2500 AT4
Occupation
Avi Engineer
This was my first time at Uwharrie and @obwahn managed to catch one of my scrapes, lol. This was with the Rubi suspension installed and the factory 32s.

And here is an example of a poor choice of line...

Jeep Wrangler JL North Carolina Roll Call IMG_6182.JPG

But I'm still impressed with how easily the Jeep handles everything else. The next Jeep will more than likely be a Rubicon though. I just like the tire options with the 17 inch wheels a lot better.
Yes... everything 18" is just that much more expensive.

Jeep looks good sitting up there. Lol

eck

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU MOAB HellaYella
Yeah I can't really complain, my Jeep has done everything I've asked it to do with ease (except that one time it broke and required towing off the beach at ft. fisher...).

However, if I could go back in time and redo my purchase with what I know now, I think I would just buy a 2 door Rubicon with the 6MT and leave it stock. With the lockers and the better breakover, it would handle everything I need it for on the factory 33s.

And despite the fact that I have never driven a manual in my life, I *really* want a stick in my Jeep now.

Sponsored

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Yes... everything 18" is just that much more expensive.

Jeep looks good sitting up there. Lol
lol, I would have a heart attack just looking at pricing 35s on an 18" wheel.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah I can't really complain, my Jeep has done everything I've asked it to do with ease (except that one time it broke and required towing off the beach at ft. fisher...).

However, if I could go back in time and redo my purchase with what I know now, I think I would just buy a 2 door Rubicon with the 6MT and leave it stock. With the lockers and the better breakover, it would handle everything I need it for on the factory 33s.

And despite the fact that I have never driven a manual in my life, I *really* want a stick in my Jeep now.
I managed to find a JT with a manual several months ago. Pretty smooth ride when I test drove it. I think it was smoother than any previous manual I've owned.

mic.rempel

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon, 2018 Grand Cherokee
I hated the erosion humps....especially in the JT, that wheel base is killer like I mentioned. That alone convinced me to go 37s with at least 2 inch lift. Thinking I'm going to do the Evo Stage 2. I'm bummed Teraflex doesn't have any true lifts with the JT, only leveling kits at this point.

OP
OP
chevymitchell

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Avi Engineer

mic.rempel

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon, 2018 Grand Cherokee

Sponsored

OP
OP
chevymitchell

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Avi Engineer
Thanks for that Shawn. Yeah, I thought it was weird that they only include 1/2 inch spacers in the rear and not full springs. I'm wondering if that's all that's really needed to level things out and still have room for 37s.
Yeah... They're just trying to level out with the standard pick-up rake that's put there for the tongue weight when towing.

I'd wait until they release a CT3 or RT3 kit or buy from a different MFG. Teralfex does have a tendency to be behind most other lift MFG's when releasing product. I am a fanboy of Teraflex, but if you want a full spring lift to handle 37's, check out @Taznc. His Gladiator is set up very well and is very capable.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I am a fanboy of Teraflex, but if you want a full spring lift to handle 37's, check out @Taznc. His Gladiator is set up very well and is very capable.
Agreed, I was behind him last time I was down in URE and It didn't even come close to the humps.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
I'm guessing you were flying through the rock garden at the time? ;)

Uwharrie is definitely not free of hazards, I got high centered pretty bad my first time there. But the majority of the park isn't that hard on the Jeep. My main issue seems to be rubbing the belly on those erosion humps.
Funny thing is.. no. I was on a regular part of the trail BUT was a TOTAL noob at the time :)

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Funny thing is.. no. I was on a regular part of the trail BUT was a TOTAL noob at the time :)
I guess freak accidents can happen. I'm still not sure where on the trail I bashed my Grille "guard" into the grille. It wasn't on the rock garden though.
Sponsored