Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
On another note, how did the new tires do in the rain? I keep debating on those but leaning towards the 38s. The problem is everything I read about moving past 37s seems to point towards a lot of other requirements and probably a 3.5" lift vs the 2.5". Originally I was going to stick to 37s and I have no desire to go to 40s, it is more for that C rating on the Pats at 38 vs 37. I guess I could go to another tire, just hear such great things about them
Pretty hard to beat the price on those Patagonia MTs, at least in the size I'm looking at. Even their XT hybrid tire is more expensive somehow.
Sponsored

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
So far so good, haven't had any issues. They are a "large" 37 and are noticeable larger than my 37 Cooper STT tires that have about 50-60% tread left.
IMO you will look funny with Pat 38s on a 2.5" lift and the 37s won't look much better. I would run a 3.5" lift even with the 37s, it's a more balanced look and will allow max articulation.
I've heard the Pats wear out quicker due to their softer compound and I have also heard that the C rating on the 38s rocks compared to the D rating on the 37s. One guy somewhere on the forum ran them both and could feel a notable difference with the C rating. Haven't had them off road yet but I heard these rock on the rocks.
The other thing with the Pats is they are very round. Even at 26 psi I'm only contacting about 85% tread where as the Cooper at 30 psi is making pretty much full contact.
If you have an automatic you can get away without re-gearing. The tranny handles the larger tire very well and I see 8th gear all the time at highway speed but it does favor 7th gear. Manual you will most def want to re-gear from what I hear. A re-gear is in the future for us but it's nice to dodge that bullet for now. My manual is running 4.88s, the Mrs. has the auto.
Might as well invest in a Tazer while you are at it so you can enter the correct tire size to fix the speedo and also adjust your TPMS setting. Even with the factory 33 KO2 tires I ran them at 31 psi cold so I used the Tazer to tweak that.

stormymk

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Firecracker Red
Vehicle Showcase
So far so good, haven't had any issues. They are a "large" 37 and are noticeable larger than my 37 Cooper STT tires that have about 50-60% tread left.
IMO you will look funny with Pat 38s on a 2.5" lift and the 37s won't look much better. I would run a 3.5" lift even with the 37s, it's a more balanced look and will allow max articulation.
I've heard the Pats wear out quicker due to their softer compound and I have also heard that the C rating on the 38s rocks compared to the D rating on the 37s. One guy somewhere on the forum ran them both and could feel a notable difference with the C rating. Haven't had them off road yet but I heard these rock on the rocks.
The other thing with the Pats is they are very round. Even at 26 psi I'm only contacting about 85% tread where as the Cooper at 30 psi is making pretty much full contact.
If you have an automatic you can get away without re-gearing. The tranny handles the larger tire very well and I see 8th gear all the time at highway speed but it does favor 7th gear. Manual you will most def want to re-gear from what I hear. A re-gear is in the future for us but it's nice to dodge that bullet for now. My manual is running 4.88s, the Mrs. has the auto.
Might as well invest in a Tazer while you are at it so you can enter the correct tire size to fix the speedo and also adjust your TPMS setting. Even with the factory 33 KO2 tires I ran them at 31 psi cold so I used the Tazer to tweak that.
Great, so that settles it, I guess I need to start committing to a 3.5" lift and the 38s. My daughter may need a ladder lol. Now I just need to decide on the model and where to get it done. I do want to ride it stock a little longer to get a better feel for stock overall, I only have about 600 miles on so far and nothing off the pavement so it may be summer before I get to that point.

I did pick up a Tazer already, haven't installed it yet but picked it up while it was on sale, that was a hard one to justify before I had tires and such but I figured I know I will need it long term anyway. I haven't tried running that low on the 33s yet, I am running 37/38 psi (down from the 42 when I picked it up) but wanted to do a chalk test to see what was best, with all the damn rain, every time I went to do it, it was wet again.

I did plan on re-gearing down the road but it is good to know that it will at least be OK until I get there with that size. Manual was out as my wife can't drive it and plus honestly I am not sure how well I would fair off-road on some obstacles. I am sure you get used to it but something about not having to worry about the clutch while you are at some strange angles sounded better to me for being a newcomer.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Great, so that settles it, I guess I need to start committing to a 3.5" lift and the 38s. My daughter may need a ladder lol. Now I just need to decide on the model and where to get it done. I do want to ride it stock a little longer to get a better feel for stock overall, I only have about 600 miles on so far and nothing off the pavement so it may be summer before I get to that point.

I did pick up a Tazer already, haven't installed it yet but picked it up while it was on sale, that was a hard one to justify before I had tires and such but I figured I know I will need it long term anyway. I haven't tried running that low on the 33s yet, I am running 37/38 psi (down from the 42 when I picked it up) but wanted to do a chalk test to see what was best, with all the damn rain, every time I went to do it, it was wet again.

I did plan on re-gearing down the road but it is good to know that it will at least be OK until I get there with that size. Manual was out as my wife can't drive it and plus honestly I am not sure how well I would fair off-road on some obstacles. I am sure you get used to it but something about not having to worry about the clutch while you are at some strange angles sounded better to me for being a newcomer.
I highly recommend the Teraflex ST3 lift with Falcon 3.1 or 3.3 shocks. We are both running it and it rides great. We can meet up either at an off road get together or just here in town at Wally World and go for a spin if you'd like.
IMO 37psi is WAY too high on the factory tires. You need to remember that once you've driven for a bit those pressures go up 2 degrees. We chalk tested our old KO2s at 33 psi when it was hot out, so that meant cold psi setting was 31psi.
If you are going to run 37s or 38s (especially 38s) you will want to upgrade your track bar, tie rod, draglink and steering stabilizer since they all suck on the factory version. My driver's side track bar end was pretty worn already.

The Rubi has a distinct advantage with it's 4:1 transfer case when it comes to running a stick. You can put it in 1st gear and let your foot off the clutch without even touching the gas pedal and it will go 1mph and not stall even when it comes to an obstacle. It will either crawl over it or sit there and chirp the tires butting heads with it. I popped it in 1st in 4LO and got out of the Jeep and walked next to it, it was pretty cool :)

It's always good to get a feel for your Jeep stock IMO. Off road it, daily drive it, get comfortable with it and it's amazing capabilities and then think of what you want to change, why and how.

stormymk

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Firecracker Red
Vehicle Showcase
I highly recommend the Teraflex ST3 lift with Falcon 3.1 or 3.3 shocks. We are both running it and it rides great. We can meet up either at an off road get together or just here in town at Wally World and go for a spin if you'd like.
IMO 37psi is WAY too high on the factory tires. You need to remember that once you've driven for a bit those pressures go up 2 degrees. We chalk tested our old KO2s at 33 psi when it was hot out, so that meant cold psi setting was 31psi.
If you are going to run 37s or 38s (especially 38s) you will want to upgrade your track bar, tie rod, draglink and steering stabilizer since they all suck on the factory version. My driver's side track bar end was pretty worn already.

The Rubi has a distinct advantage with it's 4:1 transfer case when it comes to running a stick. You can put it in 1st gear and let your foot off the clutch without even touching the gas pedal and it will go 1mph and not stall even when it comes to an obstacle. It will either crawl over it or sit there and chirp the tires butting heads with it. I popped it in 1st in 4LO and got out of the Jeep and walked next to it, it was pretty cool :)

It's always good to get a feel for your Jeep stock IMO. Off road it, daily drive it, get comfortable with it and it's amazing capabilities and then think of what you want to change, why and how.
I was looking at the MC 3.5" GC with the RockSports and the TF ST3 with the Falcon 3.3. I thought they were complete kits outside of the steering stabilizer, is that not the case or are you saying if I went to the tires before having a lift that I would need to get those components? This process is all new to me so if there are other components I need to account for, I am glad I am finding it out now vs going to a shop and being surprised.

I may mess with the PSI today before the rain hits, I am driving up to the mountains Friday and rather get it right before the 5 hour drive plus it may give me an excuse to install the Tazer. People seem to complain about the install of it which is one of the reasons I haven't done it yet as I figured it is a pain to have to do that every time since I would remove it before it goes to the dealer. I am not sure if it would ever come up, just don't want that to be an excuse for them.

Looking forward to the first meetup and maybe I will take you up on that offer to see how it feels. I am not sure what groups everyone hangs out on here, I saw that there was a meetup at Pik N Pig from the Wicked Jeeps page in a few weeks. There are so many groups not sure if people gravitate towards one or another or if everyone kind of just does them all.

Sponsored

swimman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I was looking at the MC 3.5" GC with the RockSports and the TF ST3 with the Falcon 3.3. I thought they were complete kits outside of the steering stabilizer, is that not the case or are you saying if I went to the tires before having a lift that I would need to get those components? This process is all new to me so if there are other components I need to account for, I am glad I am finding it out now vs going to a shop and being surprised.

I may mess with the PSI today before the rain hits, I am driving up to the mountains Friday and rather get it right before the 5 hour drive plus it may give me an excuse to install the Tazer. People seem to complain about the install of it which is one of the reasons I haven't done it yet as I figured it is a pain to have to do that every time since I would remove it before it goes to the dealer. I am not sure if it would ever come up, just don't want that to be an excuse for them.

Looking forward to the first meetup and maybe I will take you up on that offer to see how it feels. I am not sure what groups everyone hangs out on here, I saw that there was a meetup at Pik N Pig from the Wicked Jeeps page in a few weeks. There are so many groups not sure if people gravitate towards one or another or if everyone kind of just does them all.
Stormy,
I've got a Metal Cloak 2.5" Gamechanger with Rocksports sitting in my garage waiting to be installed. Most likely in April when I get some free time. The kit is complete less the stabilizer. I initially went with 35s before doing the lift. I'll install the lift and will then consider an aftermarket stabilizer a bit later.

I'm running 29-30 psi on my 35x12.5 KO3's after doing the chalk test. It does drive better than when it was running 35/36 psi.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase

Just drop your tire pressure down to like 32 and live with the warning light for now. The Tazer is easy to install, make sure it's up to date with their updater app on your computer. Plug it in and leave it in unless you go to the dealer.
I don't think there are any kits out there that will give you a tie rod and draglink but I do see that the MC kit gives you track bars. I bought the Teraflex Alpine track bar and the Steer Smarts tie rod and draglink and the Teraflex Falcon 2.1 stabilizer and I can tell you that really tightened up the front end.
You can't put those 38s on your Jeep without a lift. OK, technically you can but if you fart in the driver's seat you will probably rub the tire on the inner fender. Some have run the 37s with no lift on a Rubi but there is no way in the world they are doing serious off roading like that since they will rub with very little articulation.
If anything do your lift first and then your tires if you have to break it up.
Plenty of people running stock steering components with 38s but IMO it's a bad idea. Feel free to call me at 919-324-2224 to discuss further.
I don't do any social media so when I say meet up it's me posting on this forum or shooting out a text that we are going to where ever on any given weekend :)

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
So I am planning a trip this summer down South. PM me if you are potentially interested and I will put you on the list and share more info.

Dates are 7/15 - 7/19

Four nights. Three different trail locations. 4 badges.

Details:

Day 1 - Warm up on Charlie's Creek Road near Clayton, Ga (optional: Head down to Beasley Knob in the afternoon). Spend the night at Vogel State Park near Blairsville, Ga.

Day 2 - Offroad at Beasley Knob near Blairsville, Ga. 1 Badge. Spend the night at Cloudland Canyon state park in Georgia

Day 3 - Head down to Stony Lonesome park in AL. Offroad there. 3 Badge trails there. Spend the night at Stony Lonesome.

Day 4 - More offroad at Stony Lonesome in the morning. Head up to the lake house (Lake Hartwell) at Anderson, SC. Spend the night at the lake house.

Day 5 - Spend the morning at the lake and head home

I know it seems really early to plan a July trip but the campsites and cabins fill up early so if anyone is interested now is the tie to raise your hand. I am going to reserve the campsites but if folks are interested in cabins or hotels they need to book their own. So far we have 12 vehicles showing interest, about half are definite.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
So I am planning a trip this summer down South. PM me if you are potentially interested and I will put you on the list and share more info.

Dates are 7/15 - 7/19

Four nights. Three different trail locations. 4 badges.

Details:

Day 1 - Warm up on Charlie's Creek Road near Clayton, Ga (optional: Head down to Beasley Knob in the afternoon). Spend the night at Vogel State Park near Blairsville, Ga.

Day 2 - Offroad at Beasley Knob near Blairsville, Ga. 1 Badge. Spend the night at Cloudland Canyon state park in Georgia

Day 3 - Head down to Stony Lonesome park in AL. Offroad there. 3 Badge trails there. Spend the night at Stony Lonesome.

Day 4 - More offroad at Stony Lonesome in the morning. Head up to the lake house (Lake Hartwell) at Anderson, SC. Spend the night at the lake house.

Day 5 - Spend the morning at the lake and head home

I know it seems really early to plan a July trip but the campsites and cabins fill up early so if anyone is interested now is the tie to raise your hand. I am going to reserve the campsites but if folks are interested in cabins or hotels they need to book their own. So far we have 12 vehicles showing interest, about half are definite.
Dang it that sounds like fun. We are heading back to UT during those dates. Going to St. George this time and run Sand Hallow, otherwise I'd def look into getting in on your trip. We are chomping at the bit to wheel!!!

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
Dang it that sounds like fun. We are heading back to UT during those dates. Going to St. George this time and run Sand Hallow, otherwise I'd def look into getting in on your trip. We are chomping at the bit to wheel!!!
Sounds like you have a good one planned too. There will be other trips before this one. But trying to plan this one early because of the number of days off and the logistics.

Sponsored

Cheveyboy

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Hi guys. Keep me in the loop if anything comes up in the area. Pimping a JT. Nothing done to it. Used to wheel a XJ years ago... I'd like to get back in into the swing of things.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
Hi guys. Keep me in the loop if anything comes up in the area. Pimping a JT. Nothing done to it. Used to wheel a XJ years ago... I'd like to get back in into the swing of things.
There's plenty of things in the planning stages I believe. Keep an eye out on this thread. Welcome!

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
You better pimp that sucker good! :)
We ran with a stock JT that had a Rubi suspension put on it, woooooweeeee did that things scrape!!!

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
You guys getting itchy for Uwharie to open yet? We are!
Guess we should start figuring out our first run of the season. We actually might take opening day off (it's a Monday) and go run the trails.

BTW... still have that Maximus 3 bull bar for sale. I'm tired of looking at it in my garage so it's priced to sell at $100!!!! That's a third of list price! You can't go wrong! What a deal! Don't miss out! While supplies last!