UNC Rubicon

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Billet Silver JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Noob question here. For a first trip out to Uwharrie, what are the “must haves” for extra gear? Tow straps, air compressor, CB radio, etc....? I plan to gear up gradually over time (as budget allows) and eventually get a winch, etc... but looking for advice on what to make sure to have before venturing out on the maiden voyage.
Tow strap and radio or CB are essential. There is little cell phone coverage out there. Our group uses radios for the most part. @chevymitchell is the only one in our group with a CB. However, if you’re on your own, a CB will cover more distance and it would probably be easier to raise someone on that as opposed to a radio. Main thing is to go with someone else. A tow strap won’t help if you’re by yourself.

An air compressor is really nice but they have air at the Outpost - however, it probably has some water in it from it being used so frequently.
Sponsored

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
Noob question here. For a first trip out to Uwharrie, what are the “must haves” for extra gear? Tow straps, air compressor, CB radio, etc....? I plan to gear up gradually over time (as budget allows) and eventually get a winch, etc... but looking for advice on what to make sure to have before venturing out on the maiden voyage.
Honestly the first time I would recommend going out with a group. That way the more experienced members will have most of the recovery gear like a decent jack, tow straps, winch, etc. They can also help spot you through the trails and you meet great people. Watch this thread and someone goes down almost every weekend. Over time you can get this stuff for yourself.

There is air at the Outpost. We use two-way radios instead of CBs. They are a lot cheaper and come in pairs so they can be shared. I carry a fire extinguisher after watching the video of the JK burning to the ground on Dickey Bell.

A decent set of tires and disconnecting your sway bar will get you through most of UWharrie.

Here is the link to the radios: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019RIOZVK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Tow strap and radio or CB are essential. There is little cell phone coverage out there. Our group uses radios for the most part. @chevymitchell is the only one in our group with a CB. However, if you’re on your own, a CB will cover more distance and it would probably be easier to raise someone on that as opposed to a radio. Main thing is to go with someone else. A tow strap won’t help if you’re by yourself.

An air compressor is really nice but they have air at the Outpost - however, it probably has some water in it from it being used so frequently.
Bret I think we were typing basically the same answer at the same time!

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
Here's my two cents after wheeling for a year and building an off road kit...

Winch - to us this was very important so that we can self recover and it has saved our butt a few times. We each have a winch on our Jeeps.
Tow strap - goes without saying.
Sway bar disconnects - being disconnected has made a big difference on the trails. You are much more planted, it's easy enough to unbolt them but having the discos is even easier.
Compressor - Great for airing back up if you aren't near a gas station. We don't need it for Uwharie because the drive to the Outpost is so short.
CB/Walkie Talkie - This was the last thing we bought. They come in very handy when in a group or when the Mrs. and I go so we can be in communication on the trails.

Here are links to pretty much everything we have and they will give you a good sense of a decent off road kit. We are hitting Uwharie Sunday and would love to wheel with you. Another group @UNC Rubicon is going Saturday but they aren't as cool as us.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019RIOZVK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000P0DPGQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CZ5G1YP/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D6MRN51/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07MX882J8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005ASY23I/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
these are finicky and you need to set them up right. I could help you if you decide to go with them...
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077JGKYG4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DFVTQRW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078T18YMC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase

I've found that even our portable air compressor has moisture. It has more to do with the humidity in the air than usage, ultimately it is what it is but I too hate that moisture.

One other thing @LKNOJ, don't waste your money on a Hi Lift jack. We have one and it has never seen usage. They are unstable and nerve racking to use. Go to Harbor Freight and buy yourself a bottle jack. They are small, compact, stupid safe and easy to use AND if need be you can drive right off of it if you are trying to get unstuck. The jack will just lay over unharmed. Throw a solid piece of 2x6 in your kit too for stability.

Last edited:

Sponsored

jdubya421

First Name
Jakob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2-Door MT V6
Build Thread
Link
Do you guys think a stock sport could do Uwharrie? I can disconnect my sway bar no problem, but I still have the stock road tires on and I figured that would be an issue.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Do you guys think a stock sport could do Uwharrie? I can disconnect my sway bar no problem, but I still have the stock road tires on and I figured that would be an issue.
@Sean L has wheeled stock before and would be a good guy to respond to this.
The short answer is if you air down and disconnect you would be fine. Understand that you will bottom out on the harder trails but that's what the skids are for.
I would say you could even do Dutch John and Dickey Bell because they each have a bypass for the challenges. The only thing you can't bypass is the gully on Dutch John but common sense will get you through it. You will definitely want a spotter for those two trails.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
To the noobs out there... hehehe (technically I'm still a noob)
You need to get in the mindset that if you start wheeling your Jeep it is going to take on some cosmetic accents... i.e. trail pin striping, rim rash. Not to scare you but the reality is the more you wheel the greater the chance this will happen and it's just part of off roading.
If you're interested in keeping it pristine or a parking lot princess... well...

I'm going to sound like a jerk right now but I'm coming out of the closet with it. I've got zero respect for Jeepers who own these sweet built up rigs that never off road them. To each his own, and they sure do look killer, but what's the point. I've got more respect for a guy wheeling a bone stock Sport then those others.

LKNOJ

First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS
Thanks everyone for the input! My son leaves for school in a week and hoping to fill some of my newly found free time with some wheeling. Will definitely look to meet up with the groups heading out.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
I'll let you know after tomorrow! We have 3 stock Jeeps in our group doing Dickey Bell which is one of the more challenging trails.

Sponsored

jdubya421

First Name
Jakob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
To the noobs out there... hehehe (technically I'm still a noob)
You need to get in the mindset that if you start wheeling your Jeep it is going to take on some cosmetic accents... i.e. trail pin striping, rim rash. Not to scare you but the reality is the more you wheel the greater the chance this will happen and it's just part of off roading.
If you're interested in keeping it pristine or a parking lot princess... well...

I'm going to sound like a jerk right now but I'm coming out of the closet with it. I've got zero respect for Jeepers who own these sweet built up rigs that never off road them. To each his own, and they sure do look killer, but what's the point. I've got more respect for a guy wheeling a bone stock Sport then those others.
Since I am so new to owning a Jeep I try not to judge anyone yet, but all I want is to keep my soft top intact!

jdubya421

First Name
Jakob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
I'll let you know after tomorrow! We have 3 stock Jeeps in our group doing Dickey Bell which is one of the more challenging trails.
Cool, I would go this weekend, but I have some other obligations. Hopefully soon I can scoop up some essentials and head out. Another question I had is should I get a tow strap or a recovery strap?

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Since I am so new to owning a Jeep I try not to judge anyone yet, but all I want is to keep my soft top intact!
LOL... yeah that did sound really judgy and snobish... jerky on my part. I just don't get buying a 55k Rubi, dropping 10k in it and then all they do is polish it and get groceries. What I do get is the allure of top off doors off but you don't need a built up rig for that.
At the end of the day it's to each his own and ultimately they are part of the Jeep family, even if they're the red headed step child... ;)

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Cool, I would go this weekend, but I have some other obligations. Hopefully soon I can scoop up some essentials and head out. Another question I had is should I get a tow strap or a recovery strap?
Technically they are similar if not the same. My wife and I each have one, hers I got from Wally World, it's a Reese I think. Mine I got for free from Extreme Terrain, It's similar to this one and I do like the ends on it better than the Reese.
https://www.extremeterrain.com/smittybilt-2x20-ft-recovery-tow-strap-20000-lb-1.html
You can also get them on Amazon. We also bought a tree strap which is a shorter version of a tow strap. They are better for throwing around a tree or rock and then hooking the winch to it. If you don't have a winch yet there is no reason to get one of those.

jdubya421

First Name
Jakob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
[QUOTE="mgroeger, post: 788108, member: 13541" I just don't get buying a 55k Rubi, dropping 10k in it and then all they do is polish it and get groceries. [/QUOTE]

I personally don't either. I paid 31k for my Sport S and I enjoy the hell out of it. If you aren't going to offroad it why did you pay for elockers, discos, tires, etc? Its their money tho.
Sponsored