Sponsored

Normal to need to turn wheel 360 - 540 degrees for a 90 degree turn?

nilyogi

First Name
Reed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2-Door JL 2019
Steering this car is quite a cumbersome task and and Im not sure if its normal.

Turning the steering wheel feels like it requires an unusual amount of effort and the amount needed to turn the wheel seems exaggerated. I often find the wheel fully turned around twice (720 degrees) after making certain turns, and almost every turn requires atleast a 360-540 degree revolution. The steering wheel will also jerk quite far in certain directions when hitting bumps. Is this normal? Also there seems to be about an inch I can turn it in either direction before the car actually starts responding and this seems to happen regardless of starting a turn or coming out of one. I just came from driving a 2017 Giulia so there is obviously going to be a pretty big difference so maybe it just feels more exaggerated because of that. Is this normal for these JLs or not?
Sponsored

Mikeoso

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.iowaparrotrescue.org
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500, Jeep
Occupation
Retired history teacher

Turning the steering wheel feels like it requires an unusual amount of effort and the amount needed to turn the wheel seems exaggerated. I often find the wheel fully turned around twice (720 degrees) after making certain turns, and almost every turn requires atleast a 360-540 degree revolution. The steering wheel will also jerk quite far in certain directions when hitting bumps. Is this normal? Also there seems to be about an inch I can turn it in either direction before the car actually starts responding and this seems to happen regardless of starting a turn or coming out of one. I just came from driving a 2017 Giulia so there is obviously going to be a pretty big difference so maybe it just feels more exaggerated because of that. Is this normal for these JLs or not?
Absolutely NOT normal, or even close to it, and dangerous as well. Get it into a tech or dealer immediately.

beaups

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL
You aren't driving around in 4WD mode are you? That could cause a bit of what you are experiencing. While there may be an actual issue, keep in mind your previous car has the highest steering ratio of any production car (as did I), so you are going from one extreme to the other, to a certain degree.

OP
OP
nilyogi

nilyogi

First Name
Reed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2-Door JL 2019
im interested in what peoples actual experience driving their JLs is. does the wheel take a lot of effort to turn? Do you have to turn the wheel around 1.5x to take a 90 degree turn? When you hit bumps does it pull the steering wheel several inches to the left or right?

Mikeoso

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.iowaparrotrescue.org
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500, Jeep
Occupation
Retired history teacher
im interested in what peoples actual experience driving their JLs is. does the wheel take a lot of effort to turn? Do you have to turn the wheel around 1.5x to take a 90 degree turn? When you hit bumps does it pull the steering wheel several inches to the left or right?
ok, I have a 2019 JL Sport, 2 door, all stock. It doesnt take much effort at all to turn my steering wheel, and a 90 degree turn (like a street corner) needs about 50 degrees of wheel. My wheel doesnt pull at all when I hit bump.

If it's doing what you describe, something is badly wrong up front, and seriously, the only place I would drive it is back where I bought it.

Sponsored

Apoznan

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara
I just tested mine. If I'm making an extremely sharp turn, and I make an effort to turn as much as possible, I'll hit 270 degrees, or 3/4 of a turn. Get yours checked bud.

cOtter

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 Sahara 2.0L Ocean Blue Metallic, Toyota Highlander & Pontiac G6 coupe
Occupation
Senior Manager PM (Automotive OEM)
Not normal at all.

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL

@nilyogi,
We certainly recommend having this looked at by your dealer. Please reach out to us privately if you require any additional assistance during your service.

Kathryn
JeepCares