JLTurbo

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 2.0
All,
I'm new to the JL Wrangler Forums and would like to revisit this topic. I have a JLUR 2.0 Etorque. I just had my first oil change and the oil is reading about 1/4 - 1/2" high on dipstick. I know many people have said dealers are accidentally putting 6 qts in the JL's instead of 5 qts. I decided to look at the Oil Pressure, which is reading consistently 49PSI while driving at highway speeds (it's in the 20's - 30's around town). Is anyone else seeing this high psi for extended periods of time? Is it possible an oil overfill would cause this pressure to be high?

Thanks!
Sponsored

FUHL

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Website
cmott426.wixsite.com
Vehicle(s)
2013 F-150 Ecoboost 2018 2-door Rubicon 2013 Range Rover Evoque
Occupation
CAD Drafter/Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
At highway speeds mine is around that.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door Rubicon
All,
I'm new to the JL Wrangler Forums and would like to revisit this topic. I have a JLUR 2.0 Etorque. I just had my first oil change and the oil is reading about 1/4 - 1/2" high on dipstick. I know many people have said dealers are accidentally putting 6 qts in the JL's instead of 5 qts. I decided to look at the Oil Pressure, which is reading consistently 49PSI while driving at highway speeds (it's in the 20's - 30's around town). Is anyone else seeing this high psi for extended periods of time? Is it possible an oil overfill would cause this pressure to be high?

Thanks!
My Wife's truck has the exact same issue: the dipstick reads high. I think that they forgot to recalibrate the dipsticks when they pulled that engine out of the fiat. @JeepCares if you are listening maybe you should look into a recall. The DIY fix IMO would be to do an oil change on a near perfectly level ground and under fill the engine by exactly 1 quart, warm up the engine, let sit for a few minutes, mark the dipstick, add the final quart, and remark the dipstick. As a former wrx owner I can attest to the fact that turbo charged engines burn oil even with low miles so I think that the dipstick calibration is important.

beaups

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL
My Wife's truck has the exact same issue: the dipstick reads high. I think that they forgot to recalibrate the dipsticks when they pulled that engine out of the fiat.
Which Fiat is running this 2.0 engine?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door Rubicon

Sponsored

beaups

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL

Cheaplabor

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR 2.0. 2016 willy's
I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that the 2.0 has a variable oil pump, I had looked at some engine specs a while back when I noticed it fluctuates between 18-50 psi dependant on load, RPM, speed etc..

4x4Tyrant

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited JL
I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that the 2.0 has a variable oil pump, I had looked at some engine specs a while back when I noticed it fluctuates between 18-50 psi dependant on load, RPM, speed etc..
Came here to say this. It's not a traditional oil pump that runs off your rpm its computer controlled from what I understand, low speed 18-20psi under idle and around town then it goes to high speed 40-50 when under load of highway driving.

Cheaplabor

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR 2.0. 2016 willy's
Yes I've seen mine at 18psi downhill at 65mph and then 50psi seconds later, interesting tho...at 75mph. It's always 50psi so I think there is some rpm that disallows the low pressure... not too concerned we have 15L Cummins engines in our peterbilt that run under 30psi at full load and it's normal.. I remember an old timer saying. 10psi to start off.. And 5psi for every 1000rpm ??? Some crazy thing like that..

Germansheperd

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU, 2019 HD FLHXS, 2018 Taurus, 2008 Mustang GT, 1994 Z28
Your oil pressure is acting the way it’s supposed to. As stated about the 2.0 has a variable pressure oil pump. Most all of the newer engines have this. It has less drag and lower pressure when not needed and increases when needed. It is done for CAFE as another tool for better fuel economy.

Sponsored

CptFloridaMan

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport 2.0
Check out this video and let me know if anyone else has noticed this. The oil pressure goes up and down and is not RPM dependent. Maybe more load dependent but just cruising can cause it to go up and down. It goes as low as 17 psi while driving and as high as 50 psi.

To my knowledge, our 2.0s have variable speed oil pumps and it's load based on when it pushes more oil.

Light load, 17-22psi cruising or idling, 30-50psi if I'm on the highway over 2k rpm, or using the fun pedal.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door Rubicon
FCA is Jeep themselves, not some company that designs things for them.
I am aware, and I don't pretend to be any expert, but the way I understand it, theres different devisions. Someone who knows more than me please chime in; this is what I have heard: the Italian FCA devision originally made the 2.0 L for an Alpha Romeo and it has been adapted for the JL.

beaups

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL
I am aware, and I don't pretend to be any expert, but the way I understand it, theres different devisions. Someone who knows more than me please chime in; this is what I have heard: the Italian FCA devision originally made the 2.0 L for an Alpha Romeo and it has been adapted for the JL.
Ah ok. *Alfa* Romeo's 2.0 is a totally different engine.
Sponsored