Sponsored

NorCal Wheeling, Camping, Recovery

EDH_JL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Yep. My gf and I are already planning out a trip for 2022 to hit Shasta Trinity > Modoc > Lassen > Tahoe. Hard to figure out what time of the year to plan it for.
Any earlier than mid-June and you risk snow blocking your path in some areas. Some years the road through Lassen Park hasn't opened until July. July or August would be pretty nice.
Sponsored

HeidiHoForTheHills

First Name
Heidi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4xe Rubicon
Has someone on this thread done Truck Hill at Hollister? If so, what did you do to successfully make it up? I've seen some vehicles start the hill at a running speed (heavier vehicles) but I think the 4xe could probably do it without running at it.

Lock the axles, and stay out of the ruts is what I assume. I want to give it a shot next time I go to Hollister Hills.

bjm00se

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 6sp ordered 11/3/21, picked up 8/30/22
Has someone on this thread done Truck Hill at Hollister? If so, what did you do to successfully make it up? I've seen some vehicles start the hill at a running speed (heavier vehicles) but I think the 4xe could probably do it without running at it.

Lock the axles, and stay out of the ruts is what I assume. I want to give it a shot next time I go to Hollister Hills.
I've gone up it a few times in my Tacoma.

The first thing to be aware of is that Truck Hill conditions can vary. Over time ruts gets deeper, and when it's dry, the sandy dirt can become little slippery ball bearings. Conversely, if it rained a few days earlier, or it has been recently re-graded, you'll find it easier.

So suss it out before you try it.

Naturally, you're in 4lo, and have aired down your tires to less than 20psi.

Personally, I never want to have the experience of starting up it and then losing traction part way up and needing to re-start. So I always lock the rear differential before attempting.

I go at it at moderate speed (in 4lo!) with a little bit of momentum, say about 4mph. I don't recommend high speed as some folks do, because the faster you go, the more you'll bounce around and lose traction.

If you start to lose traction, then to help maintain traction, you can use "the wiggle" where you wiggle the steering wheel ever so slightly back and forth from side to side. This will help keep the front driving wheels engaged with a fresh traction surface.

If there are a lot of folks around, you'll want to be sure before you start up that the landing area is clear, as you can't see it at all as you summit the top.

The most important thing, above all else, is to prevent the jeep from getting sideways on the hill. It's steep enough that turning sidewasy across it will cause you to roll. So if for some reason you can't make it, you must back down.

Hope this helps.

HeidiHoForTheHills

First Name
Heidi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4xe Rubicon
I've gone up it a few times in my Tacoma.

The first thing to be aware of is that Truck Hill conditions can vary. Over time ruts gets deeper, and when it's dry, the sandy dirt can become little slippery ball bearings. Conversely, if it rained a few days earlier, or it has been recently re-graded, you'll find it easier.

So suss it out before you try it.

Naturally, you're in 4lo, and have aired down your tires to less than 20psi.

Personally, I never want to have the experience of starting up it and then losing traction part way up and needing to re-start. So I always lock the rear differential before attempting.

I go at it at moderate speed (in 4lo!) with a little bit of momentum, say about 4mph. I don't recommend high speed as some folks do, because the faster you go, the more you'll bounce around and lose traction.

If you start to lose traction, then to help maintain traction, you can use "the wiggle" where you wiggle the steering wheel ever so slightly back and forth from side to side. This will help keep the front driving wheels engaged with a fresh traction surface.

If there are a lot of folks around, you'll want to be sure before you start up that the landing area is clear, as you can't see it at all as you summit the top.

The most important thing, above all else, is to prevent the jeep from getting sideways on the hill. It's steep enough that turning sidewasy across it will cause you to roll. So if for some reason you can't make it, you must back down.

Hope this helps.
Thank you so much! This does help, especially the tip to wiggle the wheel. Also, thanks for the heads up to reverse down the hill and not try to turn around!!!

SlickRickMotoADV

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara, 2017 Miata Club RF
Finally got the Jeep back after almost 2 weeks at the dealer with them attempting to deny warranty/TSB for the steering box. Thing drives so smoothly now.

Anyone down to get together in the coming weeks to help install some LCA skids?

Sponsored

mikem20

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Why’d they try to deny your claim?

SlickRickMotoADV

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Why’d they try to deny your claim?
They simply refused to follow the directions in the TSB. It essentially went step 1 run scan tool, step 2 perform repair. They kept adding in an extra step that was not in the TSB; putting someone in my car to replicate the issue. They claimed they couldn't replicate it, when the TSB clearly states "If customer describes symptom, perform repair". It took getting corporate involved.

mikem20

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
They simply refused to follow the directions in the TSB. It essentially went step 1 run scan tool, step 2 perform repair. They kept adding in an extra step that was not in the TSB; putting someone in my car to replicate the issue. They claimed they couldn't replicate it, when the TSB clearly states "If customer describes symptom, perform repair". It took getting corporate involved.
Glad that it finally got done. Sounds like some bullshit.

SlickRickMotoADV

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Glad that it finally got done. Sounds like some bullshit.
Top tier bullshit. Corporate didn't even get a chance to talk to them before they slapped yet another tech in the car to verify. At least that guy actually felt it.

When I spoke to corporate, I wanted them to get a hold of this dealer and educate them on the proper way to handle TSBs. They weren't at all interested in doing that. They said they could lean on them to do my specific case, but that they were not going to tell the dealer that all customers need to be treated that way. Very odd. I'll be finding another dealer.

ANYWAYS. Is anyone free to help with these LCA skids either this weekend or next weekend?

Alex01

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Wrangler, 2021 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
ANYWAYS. Is anyone free to help with these LCA skids either this weekend or next weekend?
Bolt-on or weld-on?

I have young children at home so I couldn't come to you but if you want to do it in my driveway I don't mind helping out. Just installed a complete MC 2.5" lift on the wives JLURD so unbolting a few lowers should be a cakewalk lol

Located in Martinez

Sponsored

SlickRickMotoADV

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bolt-on or weld-on?

I have young children at home so I couldn't come to you but if you want to do it in my driveway I don't mind helping out. Just installed a complete MC 2.5" lift on the wives JLURD so unbolting a few lowers should be a cakewalk lol

Located in Martinez
both bolt on. Martinez is a HAUL from over here lol. Probably could take the $ I spent on gas there and back and pay a shop haha. Thank you though, I really do appreciate the offer :)

Bluebeast

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU sport
The bolt on one's are super easy. Can do those in the garage!!! Just remember only one side LCA bolt out at a time. I'm in Sacramento or I would be happy to help out.

mikem20

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Same here. It should be pretty easy
I definitely have my hands full this weekend with my lift install.

SlickRickMotoADV

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The bolt on one's are super easy. Can do those in the garage!!! Just remember only one side LCA bolt out at a time. I'm in Sacramento or I would be happy to help out.
I'm mostly worried about the axle / LCAs shifting after bolt removal. I'm not sure how the heck I would get that all aligned again.

Alex01

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Wrangler, 2021 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
I'm mostly worried about the axle / LCAs shifting after bolt removal. I'm not sure how the heck I would get that all aligned again.
You'll put a jack with a block of wood under the axle, near the driveshaft, if you need to move forward and the jack somewhere on the front, I used the tie rod on the knuckle to rotate the other direction.
Sponsored