Sponsored

Noob winch questions

johnbyron

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Sport S
Hello everyone! I just installed my first winch ever (Warn EVO 8S) and I have a few questions to which I couldn't find a definite answer online. Please be patient :)

1- Mine is a wireless model. The receiver inside is always "ready", waiting for a command from the remote. What's powering this receiver (I tried and it works also when the car is off)? Could it drain my battery?
2- Should I leave the winch on "engaged' or "free spool" when not in use? Leaving it engaged I am afraid that an interference (or someone else's remote) might cause a disaster.
3- When my car is parked, anyone can just "free spool" the winch out, correct? Not a big deal, but wanted to make sure there is no way to prevent it.

Thanks!
Sponsored

Sheepjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 xj, 04 Silverado 2500hd
read the install directions for this winch really quickly

1. looks like there is no power off on the winch side for the the wireless receiver, it is getting its power off of the direct battery connection that the rest of the the winch is on, it is most likely a very lower power consumption device so it will drain your battery but not in a significant way that i would worry any more than i would if it was not there
  2. i and a lot of other likes to leave our winches engaged and with a little bit of tension on the rope to keep everything sung and tight on the road, there are others that prefer to leave it slack and an in free spool, so it is what ever you feel comfortable with. The remotes have to be paired in some way for them to work (think bluetooth) else this would not be a viable product for warn to sell, the chance of interference or cross talk is 0, but if you want you can get switches for the +12V line to the winch when it is not is use, but honestly you dont need it.
  3. yes anyone can walk up to the jeep and just free spool your line out, but the probability of that happening is so low that it is not even worth stressing over, unless you have someone that is holding a grudge against your, some kids out to vandalize random parked cars, or country meth heads looking for a winch rope for their woods rig. You might be able to remove the handle depending on the design but many times they are part of the tensioning for the spool lock and retain lots of spring loaded little bits

OP
OP
johnbyron

johnbyron

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Sport S
read the install directions for this winch really quickly

1. looks like there is no power off on the winch side for the the wireless receiver, it is getting its power off of the direct battery connection that the rest of the the winch is on, it is most likely a very lower power consumption device so it will drain your battery but not in a significant way that i would worry any more than i would if it was not there
  2. i and a lot of other likes to leave our winches engaged and with a little bit of tension on the rope to keep everything sung and tight on the road, there are others that prefer to leave it slack and an in free spool, so it is what ever you feel comfortable with. The remotes have to be paired in some way for them to work (think bluetooth) else this would not be a viable product for warn to sell, the chance of interference or cross talk is 0, but if you want you can get switches for the +12V line to the winch when it is not is use, but honestly you dont need it.
  3. yes anyone can walk up to the jeep and just free spool your line out, but the probability of that happening is so low that it is not even worth stressing over, unless you have someone that is holding a grudge against your, some kids out to vandalize random parked cars, or country meth heads looking for a winch rope for their woods rig. You might be able to remove the handle depending on the design but many times they are part of the tensioning for the spool lock and retain lots of spring loaded little bits
Thank you so much, this answers all my doubts and makes me feel a lot better :)

OP
OP
johnbyron

johnbyron

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Sport S
Just wanted to follow up in case other people have the same question: I reached out to Warn and they said
The small led is the only thing being powered when the winch is not in use so there should not be a significant drain on the vehicle unless it is left for months at a time without being driven.
I am not sure about the "led", which I guess should be interpreted as "receiver", but they confirmed that battery draw is minimal.
Sponsored