Noob to new tires/wheels...some help please

AllenTC2

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S in Granite Metallic
So I'm thinking maybe some new wheels/tires for the '20 Sport S. I would like something a tad wider, and very little, if any, increase in height. My Jeep gets pulled behind an RV so keeping the tow bar level is kinda important.

What I'm fuzzy on is what I can get away with and not have a lift. One article I read said that the Sahara and Sport are the same when it comes to axles, etc. and to go to Rubicon size, I start having to look at lifts. Another site (a vendor) says I can do 33" (which if I am grasping this, is maybe 1.5" height increase?) with nothing more than removing the splash guards. So which is it?

Also, the stock spare tire carrier, what's the size limit on that thing?

If there is anything else I'm not thinking about, please clue me in. All this offset/backspace/etc confuses the crap out of me. LOL
Sponsored

TheGreyWolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
You can easily put on 33s without a lift, and yes get rid of those splash guards. With that being said this also depends on your intended use, if you are wheeling, Iā€™d recommend a life to avoid rubbing, if it is fire trails and roads only, youā€™re good to go.

Iā€™d recommend going over to quadratec or extremeterrain to do a wheel tire combo. Iā€™d recommend going with BFG KO2s or Falcon Wildpeaks. If you need serious details let me know.

Redbaron73

First Name
Ronnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 sport s unlimited;2020 Rubicon Unlimited
I have 2 jeeps, both 2020.

One is a sport s, the other is a rubicon.

The rubicon has a lift and 37" tires on aftermarket wheels

The take off 33 and rubicon rims are on the sport now, and removing the splash guard is all I needed to do.

I did upgrade the sport with a steel bumper, rubicon take off fenders, and the rubicon take off suspension. Plan is to upgrade the tires to 35s once the 33s wear out.

OP
OP
AllenTC2

AllenTC2

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
....if it is fire trails and roads only, youā€™re good to go.
Yeah, I'm not going crawling or mudding....basically rocky roads (not trails LOL) in the southwest

Iā€™d recommend going over to quadratec or extremeterrain to do a wheel tire combo. Iā€™d recommend going with BFG KO2s or Falcon Wildpeaks. If you need serious details let me know.
Been looking on both, but not able to build the combos I like. One either has the tire I want but no wheels, or vice versa. I have been piddling around on Tire Rack too. LOL

What about 32" wheels? Do I need to pull the splash guards off for that?

Last edited:

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Yeah, I'm not going crawling or mudding....basically rocky roads (not trails LOL) in the southwest

Been looking on both, but not able to build the combos I like. One either has the tire I want but no wheels, or vice versa. I have been piddling around on Tire Rack too. LOL

What about 32" wheels? Do I need to pull the splash guards off for that?
Don't need to pull of the splash guards, there will be minor rubbing but it will slowly wear that area down making the rubbing less of an issue. The Rubi take off tires are a good choice, not a 33 but a 32.6" tall. I was running 295/70s (33.3" tall) for a while before adding the Rubi suspension and the rubbing wasn't really an issue. Check https://www.discounttiredirect.com too they have a bit lower prices than Discount tire w/ most of the same selection. Simpletire.com also has good tire pricing.

Sponsored

OP
OP
AllenTC2

AllenTC2

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It just occurred to me....if splash guards = "mud flaps", I don't have those. LOL

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
It just occurred to me....if splash guards = "mud flaps", I don't have those. LOL
It's that plastic euro piece that is between the bumper & fender.

OP
OP
AllenTC2

AllenTC2

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It's that plastic euro piece that is between the bumper & fender.
I cut those out in the first two weeks I had my Jeep. šŸ˜†

Cool....now I just have to pick out what wheel I want.

Thanks all!

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Allen, I'd look for 17x8.5 wheels w/ offsets in the zero to +20 range for a nice fit at the fender but still some room. And going this route vs. wheels w/ a negative offset won't affect your scrub radius too much.
I run 17x8.5 +10 w/ 295/70s and they've worked well (especially w/ the Rubi suspension swap) :)

OP
OP
AllenTC2

AllenTC2

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think at MOST I want 285/70s. I don't want to gain too much height or my tow bar geometry will be jacked up (I think). 275/70R17 is my sweet spot I think. No real changes need to be made to the Jeep, it'll look good, and still do what I need on the road.

The wheels I'm looking at primarily are a couple of Quadratec models (Hardrock and '41), ICON Rebound, and maybe one or two Black Rhinos.

Sponsored

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
I think at MOST I want 285/70s. I don't want to gain too much height or my tow bar geometry will be jacked up (I think). 275/70R17 is my sweet spot I think. No real changes need to be made to the Jeep, it'll look good, and still do what I need on the road.

The wheels I'm looking at primarily are a couple of Quadratec models (Hardrock and '41), ICON Rebound, and maybe one or two Black Rhinos.
May want to play around on www.CustomOffsets.com

OP
OP
AllenTC2

AllenTC2

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Oh man, I did not need to go there. LOL