Sponsored

Noob Question - What's Required to Lift?

Hughesonthenet

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ocean Blue 2018 Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
IT Director
Sorry for what is probably a really basic question ... While I've had two Wranglers previously, neither was lifted, and both kept their original tires/wheels.
  1. When we talk about the JL Rubicon being ready for 35s, is it really that simple? Just replace the 33s with 35s and call it a day? Is there nothing else that needs to be done?
  2. Contrast that with (for example) a JL Sport S or Sahara ... What would be required to bring it from the factory-installed wheels/tires up to 35s?
Just trying to understand the big picture?

Thanks!
Sponsored

macintux

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 LJR, 2022 JLR
Here's a sticky from the same forum about lifts, although it's a bit less friendly than I'd like for a beginner's guide. If nothing else it gives you an idea of the complexities involved in doing a lift correctly.

(Speaking as someone who's had a lot of problems with parts reliability in his front end, and suspects it's at least in part thanks to a cheaply-done lift by a previous owner: don't do a lift until you know you need it, and make sure to work with someone who knows what he/she is doing.)

OP
OP
Hughesonthenet

Hughesonthenet

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ocean Blue 2018 Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
IT Director
Here's a good look at the impact of running bigger tires on a JK, although it doesn't dive into detail on the lift itself.
Thanks, John. Lots of good, detailed info in those links. I have a lot to learn!:cwl:

I’m still trying to make the comparison between a Rubi and a Sport S (or Sahara) moving to 35s in real world terms.

Anyone that can break it down?

Thanks! Happy New Year!

macintux

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 LJR, 2022 JLR
I'm not the right person to answer that, but someone who can will probably want to know more about your use case. Driving 35" on the highway is different from on the trail: you'd want beefier axles for the latter than you'd need for the former.
Sponsored