First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLR Granite Crystal, 24 JLUR Anvil
Occupation
Twubblemaker
My question is - I hope to trade in my Jeep (how do you determine the right pricing anyway? Median price from KBB?) through dealership as I don't have an experience selling a used vehicle to 3rd party. Any recommendation on what to do with the trade in while purchasing from dealership that is out of my state.
Sponsored

Last edited:

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
KBB is not a very accurate way to judge. The best thing is to have an actual offer in hand before you go to the dealership. You can do that at CarMax and Carvana.

Then check listings for similar vehicles though understand a trade offer could be a few thousand less than that.

You will always get more money by listing and selling privately versus a trade in but there may be tax advantages to trade in. Depends on the state.

Are you talking about doc fees? Tag fees are set by the state and are thE fee for registering your vehicle and getting a tag.

Doc fees are set by the dealer and are the fees for processing the paperwork. They vary wildly by state but tend to be consistent within a state. And dealers generally won’t reduce them because then they seem arbitrary (which by the way they are). So it is what it is. Overall they vary from about $150 to $800.

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
Get a proposal from Carmax. You can fill out the KBB appraisal request and they’ll send you to a few dealers who’ll want to purchase your vehicle and will make an offer. Get these in writing and at least three offers - then go with whoever’s going to give you the most amount of money. Also, you’ll need a ride between the time that you sell your vehicle to the time your new one arrives so if the Jeep is your only vehicle, make sure you have a solid plan in place.

BernJLUR

First Name
Bern
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ocean Blue JLUR (on order), 2015 Anvil JKU, 1995 4.0L YJ
Yes, I do receive a tax credit in FL. So, if I trade it in for 20k and buy a new for 30k, I only get taxed on the 10k difference. If I sell it local for 20k and buy a new for 30k, I get taxed on all 30k. That’s worth looking into.

Ultimately, I got a CarFax quote, got two local FL trade-in quotes (without any agreement that I’d buy from them - just sell my Jeep to the dealer), then took pics and sent them to The distance dealer in MD (Gaithersburg - Criswell - strongly recommend!). Criswell came in strong with a counter trade-in offer, but still wasn’t enough (I had it modded pretty nicely with top-end stuff and you won’t get that back on a trade-in). Luckily I had a few weeks before the JL would arrive from the factory, so I listed it private for those few weeks, and was able to sell it locally for more money when considering the best trade-in value + tax relief alternative. So, it will differ for everybody. But that was my route - a bit anxiety producing because it’s my daily driver and I didn’t want to have zero vehicle for a week or two if it sold quickly, but I didn’t want to lose a few extra thousand by trade-in. All in all, I’m happy. Expect some anxiety, some logistical challenges, but I suggest playing both options parallel for as long as you can until you have to make a decision. Good luck!

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
I was touched!
:swear:
But then, I am not a normal person (as Notorious would tell you). Recently I actually lugged my hotdog beef hot dog, condoms, sides to staff of around 35. pat my stature with care. I am motivated by head. I guess we both share the same mentality. It is a good feeling to have.
:giggle:
I guess stuff like - giving back to the community, being free, good riding in open top, having the same back as you, its life, exploration, adventure etc sharing side.
:jk:
I recently received a set of side mirrors from a fellow forum and he just gave the almost new mirrors to me for free. He took the initiative to drive and meet me half way. How awesome is that?
Uh-huh. How nice of him. And what did you give him in exchange? :giggle: