Non wrangler owners, why the JL?

Steph1

First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU , Audi Q5
I'm one of the lucky person that fell in love with Jeeps in my early teens by watching our front door neighbor drive through 4 feet snowbank that the snowplow left in front of his house, and made Jeeps my first vehicle. And I've been driving Jeeps ever since, always buying new and owned every wrangler model since. I only strayed from 2008-2013 where I owned a Land rover discovery, then came back to Jeeps. The rest is history :)

I've always owned more than the Jeep, I've also owned ford Edge, Volvo XC90, my current other vehicle is an Audi Q5 and my 3rd was a Porsche 911 that I sold last spring.
Sponsored

vegasblue

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Not a new Wrangler owner, but I was forced to sell my 2017 JKUR Recon due to life events. I replaced it with a 4Runner. 4Runner was lifted and whatnot but was completely underwhelming. No power, boring to drive, boring to look at. Even wheeled down in Arizona, boring. I missed the Wrangler pretty bad so here we are. The JLUR is night and day different than the JKUR. The JL is my daily on a 2.5" lift and 35" tires. The new transmission is a dream, thing drives like a car. I did opt for the 4cyl and am really enjoying the power it has, where it has it. Maybe my only complaint is the Jl has cloth seats. I may have to fix that.

Blazing Saddles

First Name
Not Sure
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Jeep
Occupation
Staring at this forum
My current ride is a F150. I decided a while back to upgrade the truck when I saw the Lightnings. But, I want to give Ford a few years to work out the kinks. I was in the market for a fun vehicle. I have been going back and forth between muscle cars and off road vehicles. I think where I am in life that going outdoors and taking my family off-road will be more fun for me. I got the wife a Wrangler to replace her Civic out here because the Civic was no longer safe. The more I drive it, the more I like it. Being used to a truck, I was looking at the Broncos and the Wranglers. Between botched roll outs and unavailable options with the Bronco, I decided to join the Jeep crowd.

HellaRubi

First Name
Sher or Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Hellayella; F87 M2C; E90 M3
I only strayed from 2008-2013 where I owned a Land rover discovery, then came back to Jeeps. The rest is history :)
How was the Land Rover ownership experience? We considered the brand a little, but not too seriously. After owning other cars that cost an arm and a leg to repair, we figured Land Rovers would be of that same ilk. And of course heavy depreciation if you buy new or slightly used. And new they are pretty pricey.

crudesolo

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 2 dr
I’ve been meaning to replace my compact sedan for a while. I was actually looking at the Bronco but was very hesitant to put an order down without being able to see it or sit inside.

I work for a family business so I have to make it to work in all sorts of awful weather. We had some very bad flooding in NY a few weeks ago and my sedan almost didn’t make it. Pretty scared I was going to be stuck in the flood with an old blind dog.

I made up my mind then to look at what’s available. I serendipitously came upon a 2dr Rubicon with the 2 liter on a dealer lot with everything I need and nothing I don’t. I wouldn’t have to wait for an order and would be able to have it before winter. Best vehicle I’ve ever owned. Its surprisingly easy to drive both in the city and on the highway. Planning to do some off-roading already. It’s been a joy.

Sponsored

Steph1

First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU , Audi Q5
How was the Land Rover ownership experience? We considered the brand a little, but not too seriously. After owning other cars that cost an arm and a leg to repair, we figured Land Rovers would be of that same ilk. And of course heavy depreciation if you buy new or slightly used. And new they are pretty pricey.
Perfect example of love hate relationship :)

To this day it's the vehicle that I enjoyed the most driving as it was just a charm to drive and made me feel like a million bucks.

To this day it is the vehicle that I hated the most owning as it really cost a fortune to repair $9Gs in 4 years and I did everything myself except for 2X engine head gaskets. It never let me stranded anywhere, but there was always something to fix. Ironically, it would always wait for something to be fixed for something else to go wrong. That one day that everything was done and nothing was wrong, I decided to part with it before something else came-up.

Jeep Wrangler JL Non wrangler owners, why the JL? FF9BED7B-B9B3-490D-981D-0B74393C8464

ELJeffe77

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0 Turbo, Delivered on 08/30/2021
Occupation
Affiliate Marketer & Search Engine Optimization Consultant
I just got mine 1 1/2 months ago and love it - came from an Audi Q5. Went offroading in Sedona a few times with my 5 year old, loved jeeps since I was a kid, figured now's a good of a time as any!

Definitely loving it, no regrets :)

sspectre

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 3.6L
Bought mine early this year, caught a good deal right before the shortages started really affecting prices. My friend has a JKUR and I've liked it for a long time. Coming from a 2006 Honda Accord (still runs well and is a decent car) that is going to become a car for my oldest to use.

So far it's all good, but have only taken it slightly off-road. Need to take it out more.

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

My Sahara Altitude replaced an '07 GMC Sierra. I loved that truck, but in ~14 years driving it, I never once towed anything and I had a bed cover on ~80% of the time. Basically didn't use ~60% of the vehicle, and it was huge in my garage.

Wanted something more fun, slightly smaller/more gas-friendly, but that still "sat" like a truck, in terms of the driver's seat. Most SUVs, you sit like a car, just higher. Wranglers were the first thing I found that wasn't a truck that *sat* like a truck.

4 months in, I freakin love it. Opened up a TON of room in my garage, went from ~12 MPG to ~20 MPG, the 2.0L is surprisingly peppy, and I love driving with the top off. Wouldn't go back.

Rubi SoHo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR-XR
Occupation
Physician
I had a CJ7 right after highschool, sold it when I got married. I’ve had a slew of less than capable vehicles since then.

I’m 40 now, have kids I’d like to get out into the wilderness with, and I miss that old jeep, enter JLU.

I’m personally leaving a Subaru Crosstrek, whichhas handled MTB hauler and cold weather driving duty just fine. But I live in Utah and want to explore the canyon country. The Subi doesn’t quite cut it.

Sponsored

Ticks

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR
My older brother had a Jeep in the mid 90's and I thought it was cool, but honestly never gave a thought about buying one until the past year and half. Now I've been obsessing over it and contacted a dealer to order a '22 Rubicon. Just the right time in my life honestly, almost 40, midlife crisis!

j.stotts

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
I’ve always wanted a Jeep and not sure why I never bought one. I decided after owning my 2020 392 Challenger for 6 months that it was the perfect time to get a JLU. I couldn’t believe I bought my Challenger new for $36K and was able to sell it for $51K used.
Jeep Wrangler JL Non wrangler owners, why the JL? DDE72DDF-DA5B-493D-95E1-7BDE7C76947B

linux_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL 6-speed manual, 2011 Compass 5-speed manual
My JL didn't replace anything. I wanted a manual transmission, something that held value, Freedom tops. I missed my full size Blazer and my Grand National with T-tops. I missed my full size short bed half ton Chevy pickup 5.0 5 speed manual. The JL I got has some of the cool features of each. Jeep Compass (5 speed) and 75th anniversary Cherokee bought most recently made me comfortable with the brand.

Employee pricing in 2020 forced my hand.

HellaRubi

First Name
Sher or Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Hellayella; F87 M2C; E90 M3
To this day it is the vehicle that I hated the most owning as it really cost a fortune to repair $9Gs in 4 years and I did everything myself except for 2X engine head gaskets. It never let me stranded anywhere, but there was always something to fix. Ironically, it would always wait for something to be fixed for something else to go wrong. That one day that everything was done and nothing was wrong, I decided to part with it before something else came-up.
This sounds exactly like my aging M3

WhtRubi

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Rubicon
I had always wanted a Wrangler. 20 years ago, I had gone to a dealership to buy a TJ, but I was young and dumb and the dealer ended up talking me into a Liberty. It was the WORST car I have ever owned (and I've owned some clunkers!). That experience lead me down a long path of saving up for the new Wrangler I had always wanted. It was the ability to go anywhere, drop the top, and freedom that you could really only get in a Jeep. Cheesy, I know.

Over the years, I have had plenty of different cars, some good and some bad:
- 2001 Liberty
- 1998 Blazer
- 1995, 1999, 2003 Ford Explorer Sports (I like a 2-door SUV)
- 1990 Honda Prelude
- 1988 IROC (my name ends in a vowel)
- 2003 stepside S-10
- 2015 Chrysler 200

Fast forward to this year, and I had finally gotten the money saved for my Wrangler and in a place financially to afford the payments. Two months and 2,500 miles later, it was the best decision I have made and I am more than ecstatic with my new JLR. Factory ordered with everything I wanted and nothing I didn't.

TL;DR - I always liked Wranglers and finally could afford one, so I bought it
Sponsored