Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Director, IT
Vehicle Showcase
Drove a Lexus for 16 years, was going to go Mercedes sedan but saw the new 2018 JL Sahara with all the bells and whistles drove the v6 then the 2.0L Turbo, chose the Turbo and love it!!
Sponsored

Sontavaman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Lj - sold-cause im an idiot. 2019 blue rubi ordered and received. I need my LJ back.
Occupation
Repressor of civil rights
I personally wanted the off road tough look but will never go off road, so I elected for the Rubicon...its top of the line right? Somebody else asked me if I was going to buy a Wrangler and I said no I want one of those Sahara Sport models.

Yes im kidding....I cant tell you how much nonsense I heard at the recent car show.

"Alex wanted a Wrangler right, but this says Rubicon so thats not it."
"They have not changed the Wrangler in two decades, its still the same crap."
"My Samurai can go more places than that"
"Why would anyone want one of these, they get horrible gas mileage"
"OMG Becky look the purple one is soooooo like totally awesome"

Wranglers are great vehicles, yea they are quirky, yea they are noisy (well they use to be anyways, time will tell here). Jeep has done a fantastic job of bringing in the entire non wrangler owning community on this revision. The JK with the introduction of the 4 door kind of did that, ya know lets get the family oriented daily vehicle thing going....but the JL has really caught the appeal of folks that would have just turned a blind eye for say an Explorer, BMW, Tahoe, etc etc.

Us decade+ owner fan boys and girls still love it, while it welcomes a whole new era of customer that previously would have passed it over.
Don’t knock those little samurai those things were mean ass little micro Jeeps that could do anything a Jeep could. I had a CJ7 back in the day and I got schooled! They are basically just four wheelers with doors.

Baddog2020

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
Well, back in day I thought that the two door Isuzu Amigos were cool, until I got an insurance quote (under 25 male in car theft capitol of the world at that time, North Jersey) so first new car was a 4 door Honda Accord. After 30 years as fed Leo, driving a g-ride for 26 years and retiring, wanted something just for me. I was a Land Rover 110 Defender fan, but that was a stretch and they ceased production a few years ago. Went back to work again and wife wouldn’t be happy with me driving her new Mazda CX-9 or her “baby”, a Hyundai Equus, which is now 7 years old with only 40 thousand miles on it (long story). Test drove a few pickups as my old man always wanted one like his brother’s Ranger, but passed away at 91 without ever having his truck. I think every red blooded American should have a truck, a bike, or a sports car before they check out of this world. Maybe have all three. Test drove a JL. Came down to JL and Ram Rebel. Low hanging garage entrance at new job and wife’s resistance to pickups (don’t ask) and I grabbed my Jeep. I commute into DC alternating between my Jeep and my motorcycle (can’t beat pandemic commuting) and I’ve got no complaints. Now that new Ram TRX might be on the ticket down the line when I shut it down a second time for real, but who knows. Tomorrow is not promised to any of us, so enjoy today. Oh yeah, the new Defender is nice but I like the old school one better. Must be that Marlon Perkins Wild Kingdom thing.

KrzybonesJLU

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
I’ve seen a thread like this before— for me I’ve owned a sports car, I’ve done the luxury car. When I finally decided to own a new car I wanted something that would have versatility. The wrangler just made a lot of sense. I can get up the mountains in the winter, perfect for camping and getting my dog around. Since getting the Jeep I feel like I’ve found the car I’ve always wanted. I’ll likely be a loyal Jeep owner moving forward.

Sponsored

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
I'm 40 now, and personal finances forced me to play vehicle undertaker up until my mid 30's. A slew of pickups and sedans that I'd squeeze the last drop of blood out of, before needing a ride home from the scrap yard with the proceeds to get the next.

Scored a low mileage 96 XL1200 Sportster on trade, which served as my sole vehicle for about 2 years. I turned it into a bit of a cafe racer. Great bike and fun, but sucked in the winter months.
Jeep Wrangler JL Non wrangler owners, why the JL? 20140203_011854
Jeep Wrangler JL Non wrangler owners, why the JL? 20140222_161059-1-1

My then gf, now wife, didn't want me going through another winter on 2 wheels, so she helped me get more rubber on the ground. I wanted something awd after seeing how great an Oldsmobile bravada handled one of the worst NY blizzards. That led me into an awd 2001 Chevy Astro van. I had most of the exterior converted to LED's and was on the verge of lifting it to fit some "big" 31's. Before getting the chance, it started suffering from check engine light money pit syndrome.

At that same point, my wife's 2000 civic was starting to shit the bed. She was working at a great hospital for great pay, so new made the most sense. My only recommendation was awd. Knowing how I am with research, she gave me a short list of vehicles to put under my microscope. As negotiations were wrapping up on a 2016 Nissan Juke SV awd, I inquired about a fully loaded SL for myself. Here's both the Astro and the Juke that replaced it.
Jeep Wrangler JL Non wrangler owners, why the JL? 20160804_094656

I had the Juke for 2.5 years and about 48k miles. Great car. 1.6 turbo, cvt tranny, and both regular and torque vectoring awd. Pretty much a watered down 370Z with greater ground clearance. Problem was it was too small in the back seat and the cargo area was like a 2 door JL, but with a back hatch that robbed all air space. I was having passengers and cargo more often than I originally thought. On top of that, I'm not a car guy. I belong in something truck based. Too many pickups in the past proved that I end up hauling more shit for everyone else than myself. Don't care for another van.

Go go gadget, ocd research! And here you all are, stuck with me and my occasional long winded posts. At least I sprinkled some pics along the way. :like:
Jeep Wrangler JL Non wrangler owners, why the JL? 20200815_110458

Last edited:

Baddog2020

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
I'm 40 now, and personal finances forced me to play vehicle undertaker up until my mid 30's. A slew of pickups and sedans that I'd squeeze the last drop of blood out of, before needing a ride home from the scrap yard with the proceeds to get the next.

Scored a low mileage 96 XL1200 Sportster on trade, which served as my sole vehicle for about 2 years. I turned it into a bit of a cafe racer. Great bike and fun, but ducked in the winter months.

My then gf, now wife, didn't want me going through another winter on 2 wheels, so she helped me get more rubber on the ground. I wanted something awd after seeing how great an Oldsmobile bravada handled one of the worst NY blizzards. That led me into an awd 2001 Chevy Astro van. I had most of the exterior converted to LED's and was on the verge of lifting it to fit some "big" 31's. Before getting the chance, it started suffering from check engine light money pit syndrome.

At that same point, my wife's 2000 civic was starting to shit the bed. She was working at a great hospital for great pay, so new made the most sense. My only recommendation was awd. Knowing how I am with research, she gave me a short list of vehicles to put under my microscope. As negotiations were wrapping up on a 2016 Nissan Juke SV awd, I inquired about a fully loaded SL for myself. Here's both the Astro and the Juke that replaced it.

I had the Juke for 2.5 years and about 48k miles. Great car. 1.6 turbo, cvt tranny, and both regular and torque vectoring awd. Pretty much a watered down 370Z with greater ground clearance. Problem was it was too small in the back seat and the cargo area was like a 2 door JL, but with a back hatch that robbed all air space. I was having passengers and cargo more often than I originally thought. On top of that, I'm not a car guy. I belong in something truck based. Too many pickups in the past proved that I end up hauling more shit for everyone else than myself. Don't care for another van.

Go go gadget, ocd research! And here you all are, stuck with me and my occasional long winded posts. At least I sprinkled some pics along the way. :like:

Nice rides, both 2 and 4 wheel. Commuting in NY in the winter on bike? I tip my hat to you, Sir!

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Nice rides, both 2 and 4 wheel. Commuting in NY in the winter on bike? I tip my hat to you, Sir!
Thanks! Had no choice at the time got the bike on a trade for a 20k Lister Petter diesel generator that was being sold to fund a better than scrap worthy vehicle.

I had to ride in 10-15 minute intervals before pulling over to get feeling back in my hands. Nothing gets your attention like cresting a hill and seeing a line of cars at a dead stop and you can't feel the clutch under your fingers. My wonderful girl stepped in when she found out I was switching to studded tires whenever the ground was more than just cold.

Black Jeep Convertible

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Sport S 2.0T eTorque
Occupation
Amazon Influencer 😂
It seems like there are a lot of people who are going to be first time wrangler owners with the JL. I’m wondering, what are you all leaving for the JL, and why?
Because it doesn’t look like an ancient piece of artifact anymore

Thunderjet

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 F350
The JL I have on order didnt replace anything. Wanted a JL due to its size. It is very maneuverable and easy to park and almost impervious to door dings, especially after I add the Mopar running boards. 2 door Wranglers are just fun! If I need more space will drive my truck or the wifes Expedition. When I feel the need for speed will get in my ZL1 Camaro.
As soon as the JL arrives at home the back seat is coming out as we are down to just the wife, myself, and our yellow lab.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Spearmin

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Just the sheer fun of it. I 'm on my second one that I picked up a week ago (Nacho). They now have a very palatable ride compared to my 97TJ its literally night and day. Only regrets I now have is not living in a warmer climate where I can have the top down more often.

BlackGenesis

First Name
Andrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Sahara unlimited
Wife wanted something fun for herself and kids, she had to get rid of her RX8 Shinka before kids 7years ago, so we went with a wrangler. Jl because JK 1990s interior options and design is a comete turn off_garbage.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
almost impervious to door dings,
A few months ago I was sitting in the parking lot waiting on my wife to come out of Target. Dude in a Grand Cherokee starts driving off with his rear passenger side door wide open. Before I can honk the horn he slams his door right into my Jeep! :angry:

Fortunately for him, I had the end caps off of the steel bumper and his door only hit my tire and slammed shut as I was honking my horn. No damage to either Jeep... but he was still clueless and I had to tell him he ran his open door into my Jeep... :headbang:

Jeeperific

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Unlimited 70th
Have Audi Q5 and now JL Sahara. The JL replaced my 70th Anniversary Sahara. JL is much higher build quality than the JK but the drive feel is less Jeep/truck and more like a speedy auto. Today and Tomorrow I will drive the JL with Audi in garage.

BTW if anyone looking for a 70th anniversary Sahara I will start selling it soon.

Threedog

First Name
Lawrence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Sport S (D)
In the current market, if you want certain wrangler features, you have to order new, at least in our area. So we did and a new order jeep is a JL. My wife test drove a demo diesel and loved it. Hated the color, so we ordered one. Still 2 to 4 months out. Hopefully will be in our driveway on Christmas.
Sponsored