UNC Rubicon

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Billet Silver JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
When I left home for UNC in 2002, my dad told me if I made a 4.0 my first year, he would buy me an SUV. Spring semester, I made a 4.0 and he held up his end of the bargain. I had it narrowed down to a Rubicon or ZR2 Blazer. My dad was a Chevy guy and convinced me the ZR2 would have a better ride and allow me to tow more. Got the ZR2 in the summer of 2003.

Flash forward 6 years and I find out my wife is pregnant. Time to get something with 4 doors. Still focused on my ability to tow stuff, I bought an 07 F150 Supercrew. Its been a reliable machine for the last 9 years but I'm ready to move on.

Looking back, I still regret choosing the ZR2 over the Rubicon. Later this year, I will atone for my 15 year old mistake.
Sponsored

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
I traded in my 2010 Dodge Ram 1500 Big Horn 4x2 for my JLU Sahara.

I bought the Ram while I was living in Twentynine Palms, CA. Open desert, long straight highways, no snow... I was able to cruise for a long time and take advantage of the cylinder deactivation to get decent fuel economy and still have 390 Hp when I needed to get up and go! Fast forward to me moving back home to Winston-Salem, NC. I'm living in town, so my mileage took a steep nose dive, and snow during the winter with a 4x2 pickup wasnt working out too well. I had always considered Jeep when I was doing vehicle shopping but had never actually bought one. I was looking at JKUs and Ram 1500 V6 4x4 to possibly trade in for, and was leaning heavily towards the Ram, until the JL reveal came out. Suddenly all of the advantages of the Ram (minus towing) were moot. Better Fuel economy, more maneuverable, good reliable 4x4, a much better interior all added up to me deciding on the JLU.

Sometimes I miss the raw power of the Hemi, but I really like my new Jeep.

Last edited:

jeremyjeep

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Here is my 2 cents worth...

1. A friend of a friend has a JL and I was mega impressed. The last Wrangler model that I saw was probably a 2011 so I was blown away by the difference. I know that comparing a 2018 JL to a 2011 JK isn't the same as comparing to a more modern JK, but still that made a big impression on me that Wranglers had changed.

2. The dealer said Jeep was phasing out JKs in 2018, so I didn't want to be concerned about the typical issues that come along when something will no longer be available, so go with the new. JKs may be the exception to the rule on this topic, but I lean towards "newer" on major purchases.

3. I'm an early adopter on just about everything. I had to have the latest Apple Macbook with the touch bar, newest iPhone, etc.

4. I car shopped and hated the blind spots of most SUVs. After car shopping, now I realize why so many people are cutting me off all the time, they have massive blind spots. I test drove a JL and no more massive blind spots. Same would of been for the JK I'm sure for any blind spot issues.

5. I love the way both the 2018 JL and 2018 JK looks on the outside. Always have. Many of the 2018 SUVs out there look like squished minivans or taller station wagons. Reminds me of a friend who was talking how sporty his minivan was about 10 years ago, justifying why he bought it. lol

6. Apple Carplay is available in the JL and not the JK (at least that is what the dealer told me). Toyota 4 Runners, Nissan Pathfinders, Lexus, etc. don't even have Apple Carplay or Android Auto. I got the local Toyota dealer and Lexus dealer sales guys to admit it was hurting their sales not to have it. It will especially hurt your re-sale value in 6 years when every car will have Apple Carplay and Android Auto.

7. I had heard people complain about JK reliability in the past. I'm hoping the JL will be better, but I know, being v1.0, it could be worse. Worth the risk.

8. I really like the soft top on the JL vs the JK.

rallydefault

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S
Ever since graduating college and making my first car purchase on my own I've been with the Jeep brand. I had the Cherokee and Renegade, and both were awesome smaller vehicles that were incredible in the snow and could do minor things off road. So I kind of got hooked on always having a vehicle that was all-around capable, and I've never been one for sports cars and going incredibly fast or looking shiny or anything like that.

Anyway, my wife and I have a baby on the way, and my Renegade was already starting to feel cramped. I did some research and saw that most infant seats are really tough to fit into the small back seat of the Renegade, and I've kind of always had my eye on a Wrangler (I live in an area where almost ever other person seems to drive a Wrangler).

So, it kind of came down to a Grand Cherokee or a Wrangler, but I'm not a fan of the traditional SUV look, and I've always wanted a completely open-air vehicle. So this being the redesign year, I just decided to go for the JL.

I'm also a tinkerer and enjoy working on electronic and mechanical things, so the customization of Wranglers always appealed to me. I already have a few small things lined up (splash guards, rails, and decals), and I can't wait to take the top down for the summer months. All of that while keeping the amazing snow and off-road capabilities and getting a bigger vehicle for my family. I also feel like it fits us well because we're not a family that takes a ton of long highway trips (my past vehicles I've only put about 5-8k miles per year), so the highway manners of the Wrangler that turn a lot of people off aren't a big deal for me.

notcreative

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sahara
I had a 2014 Grand Cherokee V8 that I thought was great (aside from how common they are). The transmission cooler went back in September when it was 3 months out of warranty and it never shifted the same again so it was time to move on. I test drove everything and got down to a BMW 5 series, Audi A6, or a new Grand Cherokee...while they were all nice, they all felt like a settle.

I went to the Jeep dealership to sign the papers for a new Grand Cherokee and saw a black JL Sahara sitting right out front and decided to test drive it. Couldn't wipe the smile off my face during or after the test drive and bought it right then. It sort of checked all the boxes- had the room I needed, was fun to drive (in a different way than the Germans obviously), open top driving in the summer, could take it in the sand dunes, etc.

I wish I had shopped around a little as this is missing a couple features I would have preferred, but at the end of the day its fine. JL Sahara w LED package, Dual roof, cold weather....

Sponsored

$uicide$hift

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
I am buying the JL to upgrade my JK which was my first bought in 2015. I always liked the Jeep but never thought about buying one and I am not sure why. I was driving a 2002 Acura TL Type S as I had a long commute. Back in 2006 I started working from home and wanted to get rid of it. The problem was that car would not DIE! I could not justify going into a payment when there was nothing wrong with my car that was paid for.

I actually started looking at a second "fun" car for summer. I was looking at Corvettes for a fun rag top in the summer. Then I thought about the Jeep. I figured it was a rag top, loved the styling, could remove the doors, and it would be great in the North East for winter driving. So I was waiting for my Acura to get to a point where it was not worth it to keep it any longer.

Finally in 2015 at almost 200K miles I failed state inspection. It needed new tires, had check engine light for leak somewhere in the gas tank or filer tube, needed CV joints, and the timing chain replaced which required the motor to be pulled out. This was all going to cost more than the 2K it was worth on a trade in. I then went shopping and bought my first Jeep.

I don't need the JL. My JK is fine with no issues. If it did not hold the value it does I would not even be buying a new Jeep. Since I was able to get 10K more than I owe for it on trade I decided to order a new one and just keep the payments the same and basically extend the loan payments. Now I am already thinking about 3 to 4 years down the road when a new special edition is released and what it will take for me to buy another one! LOL

robkruns

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler JL Sahara & 2022 BMW M4
I always wanted a Wrangler. I am not "leaving" anything (this will be a second car for me). The wrangler allows me to keep my 2017 Porsche 911 for many more years while my kids grow. I suspect I will get equal driving enjoyment out of both vehicles. Who knows, maybe dump the Porsche depending how much I enjoy jeep. However, I suspect my daughter will want the Jeep in about 4 years when she gets her license.

555Redhorse

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Nissan Rogue, 2015 Ford Mustang
I was a Harley rider. I LOVE the open air ride. The wind, the sights, the smell, whole thing. But motorcycles are dangerous. The next best thing to open air experience is the Jeep Wrangler. Almost the same experience (not quite but close) with all the amenities of a 4 wheeler to include a lot of new updated comforts. Top and doors off...there is nothing else like it on the road. Very fun, very capable, oozes fun and individualism (which becomes more important the older I get) Jeep can be a sort of reflection of your personality. You can customize it to be unique to you and you alone. How many other vehicles can do that?

automaton

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLUR
I traded a 2015 Chevy Silverado 1500 on the JL. I had that for around 3 years and never really cared much for it. Mostly because it's a soulless appliance. Don't get me wrong, it was very reliable and rode and drove pretty well, but my test drive in the JL was an epiphany for how much fun a vehicle could be that WASN'T a sporty car.

I always liked Jeeps, in general, and Wranglers, specifically, but I always had good reasons not to buy one. A friend bought a JK in 2007 and I always admired it, but I didn't care for the way it drove. It was the first Jeep that truly tempted me, but I had other priorities. Later, my cousin bought a 2012 or 2013, and I found it to be a big improvement, but was still a bit of a penalty box, in my opinion.

I knew there was a new Wrangler coming out this year, and the lease was almost up on my Silverado, so I decided to check one out. I loved it and I knew my wife would as well. She's particularly enamored of it, and loves the commanding driving position and great maneuverability and outward visibility. We hope to get years of family use out of it. Surprisingly, I'm finding myself considering trading my commuter Ford Fiesta ST for a diesel Wrangler when they come out. I love the handling of the Fiesta, but I have so much fun driving the Wrangler, too.

Sponsored

ryandamartini

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
I've been a lifelong Toyota owning Jeep hating individual. You just always heard how horrible they were, how unreliable they were, etc. I hada nice done up 16' 4Runner 4x4. While some owners do go out and use them, a majority of the owners are fucks. They all brag about how reliable their trucks are while they all use obstacle bypasses then brag about "pulling out" Jeeps that actually would give the obstacle a go.

A lot of the clubs just do nothing but talk shit about how bad their rides are yet you'll never get them to go out on a trail and use them. Toyota also just mocks their enthusiast customer base regularly and is making it ever more clear that the enthusiast Toyota 4x4 vehicle is an ever endangered species. Jeep embraces their enthusiasts. Jeep owners usually tend to be helpful people and were always nice to me when I met them out in my 4R. The amount of events, classes, and trail runs held by Jeep communities around me is just 10x what any Toyota group has done.

I want to go offroad, explore, and see things. On a whim I was like you know those Jeep guys have always been nice to me (something I cant say about my fellow Toyota owners to Jeep owners..), let's go test drive one so I can have a voice in how they drive. I drove a 18' JKU and 18 JLU. I was pleasantly surprised and realized the mythical proportions of bullshit spread about Jeeps to me. I sold the 4R and picked up my 18' Silver JLU. Already met some people and have taken it out for some fun. Looking forward to growing with the Jeep.

J.R. Quimby

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 TJ Sport
I always wanted a Wrangler. I am not "leaving" anything (this will be a second car for me). The wrangler allows me to keep my 2017 Porsche 911 for many more years while my kids grow. I suspect I will get equal driving enjoyment out of both vehicles. Who knows, maybe dump the Porsche depending how much I enjoy jeep. However, I suspect my daughter will want the Jeep in about 4 years when she gets her license.
Yay! I approve of hand me down Wranglers :)

kculp

First Name
KEN
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara JLU
Occupation
Professor in the health sciences
Vehicle Showcase
My wife has always wanted a jeep, it was a poor choice in my mind. The gas mileage, bumpy ride etc all turned me off. I test drove a 2001 about 3 weeks ago and it validated my thinking. It wasn't until I started seeing the reviews of the JL that it got my attention. I did drive a 2018 JK, but just not the same (I see some who decided to jump ship here and go JK). Started browsing around here a few weeks ago, keeping an eye out for the types of options per recommendations from Jeep veterans etc.

The wife started asking about them more and we've been married 43 years so this became a mission. Find a model we could agree on. I am a retro type guy so the JL started to appeal to me. Old school appearance works for me. I drive a Ford Mustang and a Harley motorcycle. When we saw firecracker red in the JL, it matched my 'stang. It's only been a week or so, but I am a cash buyer and when I saw the shipping and base sticker go up... I pulled the trigger. We only have a couple hundred miles on it, but I like it. Plan to take the roof off when the weather warms up and our grand-kids are excited to go for a ride. We like the flexibility, there's really not a convertible on the market that seats 4 people comfortable (my mustang is a coupe for that reason) and it's the fun of owning one. I was in the Army some 30 years ago, so I like the nostalgia of the JEEP image on the boot up screen.

UNC Rubicon

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Billet Silver JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I was a Harley rider. I LOVE the open air ride. The wind, the sights, the smell, whole thing. But motorcycles are dangerous. The next best thing to open air experience is the Jeep Wrangler. Almost the same experience (not quite but close) with all the amenities of a 4 wheeler to include a lot of new updated comforts. Top and doors off...there is nothing else like it on the road. Very fun, very capable, oozes fun and individualism (which becomes more important the older I get) Jeep can be a sort of reflection of your personality. You can customize it to be unique to you and you alone. How many other vehicles can do that?
You bring up a great point. I've got a Ducati Monster that I'll be parting ways with this spring (never thought it'd actually happen). Don't have enough time to ride between having three kids and work.

While not the same, the Wrangler will be the closest thing I'll be able to get for a while that will actually provide protection in a crash. Plus the family will be able to enjoy the open air feel too.