Non wrangler owners, why the JL?

Mordin Solus

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR
Was pretty simple for me. Was thinking about a new vehicle (long story, will just say my 3 year warranty is up on my car this July and rather move on), do not care to driving boring vehicles, love the look of the new Jeep and there you go!

It also helps that my wife LOVES Jeeps!

And I have fond memories of driving my dads 72 Commando back in the mid 80's. Thing was like a tank and snapped clutch cables on a regular basis, and with that my dad taught me how to shift without a clutch :p
Sponsored

KennyGolub

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
No reason other than a test ride that put a smile on my face.
Traded a 2016 Chevy Colorado

firesnuffer

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubi, 2006 Xterra, 14' Explorer
I always had a pick-up truck until recently and thought I would get another truck. I drove my son's truck while he was deployed, at his request, and decided that I didn't want or need a truck to drive around day to day. A lot of my coworkers have had jeeps over the years and it always looked like a lot of fun. My thinking is that the jeep will be my convertible, sports car, sport utility, and with a trailer hooked up a light hauler/pick-up. Plus, my wife said that I deserved it.

Steve_South

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
isuzu dmx, prado landcruiser
well , finally a dealer for it in this country,out here you literally end up with a brick for a car or one where you ignore all the warning lights on the dash, cause there is no one with the software to reset it after fixing it.And I always wanted one. before the jk that is.This JL got me, cause of the way they sold the soft top , the windshield and what a standard rubicon could do. and the one thing I look forward to doing is to once out of necessity wash the car inside and out.lol...and I am thinking of switching to four doors, if the wait keeps up.
and out here, the prado and isuzu's are a dime a dozen, everywhere!!...where is my car?no that is not mine,no..o there it is.

Specter491

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Wranlger JL Sport S
I finally didn't feel like I was sacrificing a ton of comfort and features by getting a Wrangler. A lot of die-hard Wrangler owners probably don't like the new model, but it definitely made it more appealing to the masses without sacrificing too much capability. I looked at the JK like 2 years ago but it was too bare bones and rough for me.

Sponsored

Dreadnought_Leviathan

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Finance
Vehicle Showcase
I left a 2011 VW GTI to my sister and got the JLUR.

I’ve always liked Jeeps, and was thinking about getting one as a second vehicle a few years ago. I then decided that it wouldn’t make much Financial sense to do that, so I scrapped the idea.

I also drove a Sahara JK back in November of last year in Maui and was actually rather disappointed by the handling and the interior. I’ve always disliked a lot of American vehicle interiors and felt the JK’s was very uninspiring.

I’m 34 now, and I’m making a ton more money than I was back then, so I figured it was time for an upgrade. Plus, I felt that driving around in a car designed for a younger age was starting to get old (pun intended).

I just happened to look up a Jeep and noticed that they were releasing the new JL’s and was blown away by how they looked, both the interior and exterior. I saw that they had worked on the handling a lot as well. I also really liked the aggressive look of the Rubicon (and the logo on the side), and I figured since I was balling out of control these days, I’d go for the top of the line.

Also, I’ve always wanted a car that I could spend a lot of time customizing, and I’m learning very quickly just how extreme I’ll be able to take things.

And, the ruggedness. Wranglers look G as fuck rolling down the road, and I didn’t want some lame ass SUV.

JL Fan

First Name
JL Fan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S
I have always liked Jeeps. Traded in a Tacoma. Had to wait until both kids were out of child seats (wife's rule). Previously drove Tacomas...fantastic trucks. But I wanted a Jeep. I don't go rock crawling, but I do go off pavement some...hunting, trails, etc. I love it. Never getting rid of it. (said the same thing about the Tacomas too though).

rav1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
I've driven an 'CJ' equivalent of the Wrangler a lot in my youth (search for Mahindra MM540) and I've always wanted a Wrangler. The JL ticked all the boxes, especially to convince the wife - better ride quality compared to previous models, 8 speed auto (so she can drive it too, I would have picked the manual transmission on all previous models) and last but not least - many more "physically distanced" activities possible nowadays with road-trips/off-roading/overlanding.

Nohair989

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sport
That's an easy question to answer. I wanted a Jeep back in 2006, but couldn't financially pull the trigger coming off a divorce and facing child support payments. Fast forward to 2019 and the situation had changed significantly enough to begin exploring the Jeep option again. Ran with 'Kini and haven't looked back. Sometimes good things do come to those who wait.

bboyk

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR,16 Siverado; 61 & 02 Vettes, 67 Camaro
Occupation
Finally retired! Futures industry executive
I was a muscle car owner for 19 years. Had a 61 Vette, 67 Camaro and 02 Vette. Loved them all. Had all three at once for a number of years. Won trophies with them all. I did a frame-off restoration on the 61 Vette and a partial restoration on the Camaro. Last couple of years I wasn't enjoying them as much and never drove them in the winter. They became more costly with age and I wasn't putting the driving time in on them. They needed new homes with owners that could appreciate them as I once did.
Always wanted the Wrangler experience. Purchased a 19 Rubicon with manual transmission. I wanted the driving experience I had with my muscle cars. I immediately did the off road upgrades. I've taken it off road and enjoyed the experience. I also like sitting up high and looking down on other cars rather than looking at everyones' tail pipes as I did in the other cars.

Sponsored

Tdurden032

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited
I always wanted a Wrangler. I am not "leaving" anything (this will be a second car for me). The wrangler allows me to keep my 2017 Porsche 911 for many more years while my kids grow. I suspect I will get equal driving enjoyment out of both vehicles. Who knows, maybe dump the Porsche depending how much I enjoy jeep. However, I suspect my daughter will want the Jeep in about 4 years when she gets her license.
I was in the Carrera camp too - I had a 996 convertible with a 6 speed and my wife loved it but it became painfully evident that We couldn’t safely drive our small kids around in it. I wanted something fun and/or a convertible with four doors That they could grow up riding around in and also had a Subaru Forester With 219k mikes on the clock (that I sold to an overlanding guy - we actually had 4 cars at the time) so I decided to sell the Porsche too, and kept coming back to the Jeep as a replacement. I looked closely at land cruisers but felt that they’ve totally lost their outdoor adventure heritage (too posh for me really and I wasn’t crazy about the $90k price tag either), so the more I looked, the more apparent it was that the Rubicon was the solution. I’m a total gear head and have no regrets about buying the JLUR at all - when I tell people that it’s been the most fun vehicle that I’ve ever owned (even including the 911 convertible) I suspect that many of them don’t believe me but it’s true - I wish that I would’ve gotten one sooner, but better late than never right?

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTS-V, 2018 JLU Sport Firecracker Red
I've been interested in camping/hiking/backpacking for a long time. My wife had a WJ for a long time and we did a lot of offroad trails in Colorado and Utah. I decided I was going to work less and spend more time going places where I wanted to go so I decided I needed a Jeep. I thought long and hard between getting a WK2 and modifying it, or getting a JLU. The WK2 might have done what I wanted but I couldn't be sure so I went ahead and bought the JLU.

My usual practice is to buy a 3 year old car so most of the depreciation has occurred. My wife gave me a tight budget for buying a new vehicle. I looked at 3 and 4 year old Wranglers, which meant JK, but prices were still very high. People advised me that there were enough differences with the JL that I should not consider a JK so I looked for the best deal I could find on a JLU and bought that. I might have been able to spend a little more if I had to but I wanted to stay as close to my wife's budget as I could . I ended up spending about 10% over.

4xFUN

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2-door Rubi. 2023 RAM TRX
I have always been a truck / SUV guy and not counting my first car (ex-highway patrol clunker bought at auction for $500) I have only owned one car...I used to love 4-wheeling and exploring AZ backcountry and built a killer Blazer (dana 60's, ARB lockers, custom lift, cage and B&B 377) that was fun, capable and with the rear seat removed, was perfect for camping with my girl.
However, since starting my company I fell into 'the all work trap' getting used to 70 and 80 hour weeks...Even with my previous Raptors, I only found time to blast across the desert a couple of times. This year I decided I had to tap the brakes and start enjoying life again and wanted what I considered the best overall 4x4 on the market to get back into serious 4-wheeling: A Wrangler Rubicon 2-door! While my DD is' a 19' RAM Longhorn 'company car' (love this truck) my Rubi 2-door is really a blast to drive! I have done a few mods to her including a Mopar lift (netted 2.25" of lift) with all 8 Teraflex IR arms, full Steer Smarts setup, key critical skid plates, 35" KO2's on 17x8.5 wheels, a few more goodies plus Warn bumpers and Zeon 10-S winch. Outside of the bumpers and winch, she really looks stock as the 2"+ lift with 35's maintained stock proportions...Looking forward to lots of good times to come!

BRuby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-A Benz-A Porsche-M Subie-M
For us it was mostly due to a test drive the salesman took us on. It was a FSR heavily potholed and deeply rutted. Then up a very steep single track testing 4 Lo crawling and sway bar disconnect articulation then hill descent. After that we test drove the JL back home for the night. We had a pretty good feel for the JL at that point. So next day we gave them a deep deal offer and they accepted. It had been overpriced so sat on their lot for 60+ days. The previous owner traded it in for one of the first JTs. Ours had only 4K miles on the odometer so was near new. Probs we got it for near dealer trade-in cost with a very small markup.

Primarily we needed something to get us up heavily snow covered mountain roads for skiing snowboarding mountaineering in any conditions. Plus backroads the rest of the year. 25 yrs ago we had a couple 4WD vehicles with low range and LSD towing a 5000 lb trailer. So were familiar with go anywhere 4WD vehicles. But the JL has exceeded our expectations. It is super cushy yet can go pretty much anywhere we need it to. With ease. The stock V6 + 8spd + 4.10 axle + lockers + 33 KO2s aired down to 12-18 has been the perfect off road machine for us.

702SaharaJL

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Bikini Blue
I upgraded from a 2016 Cadillac ESV.

I actually got a call from Cadillac the other day to trade in for a 2020, and I told the salesman the same thing..."Upgraded to Rubicon." He said "sweet, good choice! I'm jealous!"
Sponsored