3. So the wife can drive around with her top down
Lol
Sponsored

PavementWarrior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL
My Brother has had his CJ for 30+ years, always wanted one too, but the cards never lined up for me,

I had a race car for my toy, then needed a mini van for kids, 4x4 trucks as I needed to haul stuff.

Then I decided to buy but the JK wrangler.. but its too small.. I hit my head in it. JL has better headroom, so looks like finally everything is green light.

JLpaulo

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon
Always wanted one. Was about to pull the trigger in 2013 on a JKU but the wife was pregnant and convinced me to go Grand Cherokee instead (due to lack of perceived safety and ride quality in the wrangler). I previously had a motorcycle then a convertible 350Z at the time, so those served as my fun vehicles.
Ending up selling the 350Z shortly after the first kid was born.
The Grand Cherokee has been great, but the wife's Toyota Highlander has become the family car, so I no longer have the need for a GC.
And I'm ready for a vehicle that can serve as the daily driver and be the "fun" vehicle all in one. I don't plan on any rock crawling, but will see the occasional trail. The JL has improved in many areas (safety, technology, comfort, hopefully ride quality, etc.) so the timing is right.

I finally got to sit in a Sport and a Sahara last week and was impressed. Waiting for the dealer to PDI them so I can finally test drive one. I might wait to see an Ocean Blue in person before ordering.
The fact that those 6 Nacho JLs are in transit, has me optimistically waiting for a blue.

Indio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 Jeep TJ, 1985 Jeep CJ-7, 1972 Series III Land Rover
Occupation
Procrastinator
  1. Spent a lot of my childhood in the back of a CJ7.
  2. It's the only 4WD convertible.
  3. We have the Taco in the US instead of the Hilux.
  4. It has to be able to get from my driveway to the trailhead on its own, not under tow.
  5. I never got around to buying a TJ or JK when they were the new thing, and I'm buying new next.
  6. Because I can.
  7. EDIT: Because I don't have the space to restore/fab/store a Jurassic YJ.
Similar situation going from CJ to JL. Although I bought my CJ-7 in 1989 and still have it. Was my daily driver all over the place on/off road, until a few years ago due to rust. For me the appeal of the JL is the 4 door model ability to better handle my family of four and gear in terms of space and comfort travelling longer distances. And to have one new vehicle (JL) while I continue to muck around with my old 4x4s.

Sponsored

DaveNH

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Sonata
I've wanted a Wrangler since I was a kid (38 now), but things never fell in place. The addition of the 4 door made it at least somewhat practical.

I came close to picking up an '07 JKU about a year and a half ago, but given that I had an 80+ mile round trip commute, I made a more sensible choice in my Sonata (30+ mpg with my heavy foot).

I'm waiting see the JT because a pickup would be more useful for me, and would also retain much of what I've always wanted in the Wrangler. If the JT comes in too expensive and/or less capable as a legit truck, I'll probably get a JL.

Last edited:

DaveNH

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Sonata
I'm waiting see the JT because a pickup would be more useful for me, and would also retain much of what I've always wanted in the Wrangler. If the JT comes in too expensive and/or less capable as a legit truck, I'll probably get a JL.
And with the news that the JT will be "expensive; intentionally so," and not intended to compete with other mid size trucks like the Colorado or Ranger, I'm likely to be in on the JLU.

Revelation17

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'00 Corvette; '19 JLRU (Manual, Firecracker red)
Occupation
slave for "the man"
Vehicle Showcase
I had forgotten about the Mork & Mindy jeep. Daisy Duke's Dixie CJ is burned in my memory
I had forgotten about Daisy’s Jeep. My eyes must have been focused elsewhere.

Bluerhino

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara, 2005 Porsche 911 S
When I was in my twenties I had a CJ5 for a few years. 79' Silver Anniversary Renegade. Have always missed it. When i was in a position to buy a second car, fun car, about a decade ago i was deciding between a Jeep or sports car. I went the sports car route. Now that the new JL is a very capable smooth enough daily driver plus all the other fun stuff that comes with it I am able to have a super fun sports car and a super fun daily driver.

Super Fun Times on the way!

Rubicon1776

First Name
Hondo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Z71, Honda Prelude
Occupation
Astronaut
I fell in love with the TJ in the early 2000s but being a McDonalds worker barely supporting my apartment, that wasn't happening. Later on the JK came out and I just didn't like it at all so that squashed my Wrangler craving, or so I thought. Now the JL comes along and the Wrangler is proper handsome again, and has all the features and specs now 37 year old me will appreciate. So, its finally time!
Same here 100%

Sponsored

Malve

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU, 2012 QX56
Occupation
CEO
Wow, just when you are starting to feel like you are special because you are little flush financially, you've always wanted one, you have a ton of passions that the Wrangler will facilitate, and you are at an age and place in your life that you want to Carpe Diem with the sun on your face and the wind running through where your hair used to be...PLUS you feel smart and rational for buying a vehicle that traditionally was impractical, fuel inefficient, primitive, technologically behind the times, loud and potentially dangerous but now is LESS SO for all of the above... Just when you were starting to feel particularly unique, smart, SLIGHTLY practical and let's not forget, COOL... Then you have to go and learn that almost everyone is JUST LIKE YOU...Er... I mean me.

Those of you familiar with the "Tipping Point" concept can probably identify that for so many of us, the confluence of growing up when we did (70's and 80's), financial means, older children, value on doing over having all combined with this rather remarkable, decade in the making, truly meaningful, upgrade of the Wrangler JL where almost every feature of the vehicle including every real or perceived criticism/drawback has been improved ... Well it creates a REAL tipping point. A point at which the choice doesn't only seem obvious, it feels as if there is NO other choice, none that can check ALL of those boxes. Plus, let's not fail to mention that the Wrangler JL's and JLU's are beautiful AF.

Well, it certainly is a great group of like-minded people to feel a kinship with. I have NEVER bought a (two wheeled) vehicle that had me so emotionally invested. My child-like excitement is simultaneously both proudly and ambarrassingly unique. Never has the purchase of a car been such a motivating catalyst to reignite all of my passions and to get out and do the active things that I have loved doing for decades.

If you agree with all of this, please wave out there and I'll know what you mean .

Hazmater911

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLUR, Silver, 2006 TJ (for sale)
Owned a 1985 CJ7, loved it but had kids, and safety became an issue. We ended up with family type suv’s Like a Cherokee and Suburban. We also got dirt bikes. Desert to motocross until multiple knee surgeries. Got a Polaris Razor, 800 then a 1000. I Got my 2006 TJ to pull behind my Motorhome and ended up driving it more than my suburban. The hard top is off about 9 months out of the year. I almost bought a JK Rubicon hard rock but caught wind of the JL. I was patient and put it out of my mind until now, (very unlike me). I just hit KZ yesterday and will soon sell my TJ. I must say that I get more compliments on my TJ than any other vehicle I have owned. Must be the red and black combo. I can’t wait for my JLUR (silver & loaded). I plan to off-road this one. It’s almost impossible to be stressed out while driving the Jeep. This is my retirement gift to myself. When I’m done, just bury me in it!

Ajn13

First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
I always wanted a wrangler. Having 3 kids in car seats the past 8 years meant I needed a larger car to fit 3 across, plus strollers and luggage and dog (and the old then husband). I spent the last few summers in my parents old sport and the kids and I fell in love with going topless.
When it was time for a new car I REALLY wanted an unlimited wrangler, didn’t think I would love it, my niece has a JK Rubi and my sister said “you’ll hate it!” and I was seriously considering a Grand Cherokee altitude as well.
I had the opportunity to rent a JKU for a week and said wth...this will work!! Freedom panels?! I’m in!! Not to mention the ease of the soft top compared to the 15 yr old sport I was playing wit in Cape Cod.
My brother implored me to wait for the JL. When I heard It would only push my new car plan back a year, I put the car buying on hold till I could see one and read all the details. Got my shit together and ordered mine. Red too...my first “colored” car.

dave.j.fisher

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I have the exact same problem. Every new car I buy, I tell my self, I swear to god this is my last car for the next 10 years, and to my surprise, something better comes along AGAIN!
Welcome to the club...is there an alcoholics anonymous for this sort of problem?

Salty Rubi

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
I never was a Jeep Wrangler guy. Some of my friends had Jeeps when I was a kid and I thought they were just ok. The coolest thing about them was that they were always working on them. Everytime I would say something to my dad about a Jeep, he would tell me how bad they ride, how loud they are and how cold they are in the winter. Fast forward 30 years and I am a late 40's dad with 1 biological son and 4 adopted brothers and a sister who came out of an abuse and neglect situation. Our life is crazy to say the least. I came home one Friday in the midst of a mid-life crises and told my wife I was buying a sports car. At the time, was driving a GMC Sierra and was not happy with it. It had the 5.3 liter engine with AFM and used oil with only 50,000 miles on it. So off we went to the Chevy dealer to look at a Camaro ZL1. My wife was all in until she saw the sticker price. I quickly realized she was not as in as I had hoped. Still wanting a new car, I started looking at a Ram 2500, negotiated the deal and told the dealer I would come over to sign the paperwork in a couple of hours. The dealer had one JL on the lot, a black rubicon. When I saw it, I instantly thought it was the coolest vehicle I had seen in a long time. I started thinking about long drives on the Blue Ridge Parkway with the top off, nice drives to Hatteras. I started thinking about Rubitrux just down the road in Boone and all things I could do the Jeep... yay adult legos. I came home with the Jeep. The wife loves it, but she has realized financially we would have been better off buying the Camaro. All five of my kids can't fit in it, but I guess thats what the Yukon XL is for.
Sponsored