Non wrangler owners, why the JL?

kurt13

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Red JLU Rubi/4Runner
I bought a new YJ in 1990 that I had to give up a couple of years later. I've waited 25+ years, but I'm replacing a Toyota Corolla I've driven for six years so I could save money and pay cash for a JL Rubi.
Sponsored

crash13

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
I drive cars into the ground, 2006 MDX needs replacing, and with this new JL, it seems like the Wrangler marketing guys have nailed my segment.
- lots or room for my bikes - check
- fun to drive - check
- convertible - check
- cool colors - check
- amenities found in similar vehicles (leather, safety, cameras, sound system, etc..) - check
- high resale value - check (in case I get bored of it in 6 years ;)
- great in bad Canadian weather - check
- and who doesn't want to own a vehicle where the doors come off!

Looking forward to ordering my Mojito Rubi with tan leather and soft top!

Boatbuilder88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Wrangler JL Sport S
Occupation
F-16 Engineer (retired)
In the early '90s, I carpooled with a guy who had a CJ. I was hooked. Then my wife and I had kids and along came the minivans (they are very practical) and Hondas.

Fast forward to 2018 and we are now empty-nesting and financially comfortable. I've owned one new car in my life (purchased in 1987) which I kept for 20 years. I guess the JL will be my "mid-life crisis car." I want something fun/impractical and I'm not a Porsche or BMW-type of person. I like to camp, hike, kayak/canoe and snowboard (yes, I'm probably the oldest snowboarder on the mountain) and I want a fun vehicle that can get me to to remote places. The JL fits the bill for me. That said, my DW wouldn't dream of driving anything other than her Honda Civic.

Revelation17

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'00 Corvette; '19 JLRU (Manual, Firecracker red)
Occupation
slave for "the man"
Vehicle Showcase
I’ve loved Jeeps ever since Mork and Mindy was a thing. Was looking at getting one over a decade ago but didn’t like the reliability at that time. Got an FX-35 instead. Traded that for a Mazda 3 a couple of years later. That’s what I’ll be getting rid of to get my Jeep.

swozey

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I'm hoping a Wrangler will end my "buy a different car every 2 years" problem. I didn't buy a JK because I didn't like the interiors/technology/ride stiffness. I was cross shopping 4runners, Tacomas and ZR2s. Hopefully the JL and modding it and what not will keep it fresh enough for me to keep as forever (or at least 5-10 year) car.

Sponsored

Covfefe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUSS
I'm hoping a Wrangler will end my "buy a different car every 2 years" problem. I didn't buy a JK because I didn't like the interiors/technology/ride stiffness. I was cross shopping 4runners, Tacomas and ZR2s. Hopefully the JL and modding it and what not will keep it fresh enough for me to keep as forever (or at least 5-10 year) car.
I have the exact same problem. Every new car I buy, I tell my self, I swear to god this is my last car for the next 10 years, and to my surprise, something better comes along AGAIN!

COBill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser
I want 4WD with a manual transmission; I've never owned a vehicle with automatic and refuse to buy one (they bore me.)

The only other vehicle I am aware of is the Toyota Tacoma pickup, and it's 2018, I won't purchase a vehicle with rear drums.

I owned a 1997 TJ with horrid build quality, and I've seen nothing to indicate Jeep has bothered to improve at all, so it's a rather pending deal for me as so many of the problems have been exactly the same for the past twenty years.

Still, as mentioned, it's a matter of simply having no other choice at the moment.

Boatbuilder88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Wrangler JL Sport S
Occupation
F-16 Engineer (retired)
I’ve loved Jeeps ever since Mork and Mindy was a thing. Was looking at getting one over a decade ago but didn’t like the reliability at that time. Got an FX-35 instead. Traded that for a Mazda 3 a couple of years later. That’s what I’ll be getting rid of to get my Jeep.
I had forgotten about the Mork & Mindy jeep. Daisy Duke's Dixie CJ is burned in my memory.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
It seems like there are a lot of people who are going to be first time wrangler owners with the JL. I’m wondering, what are you all leaving for the JL, and why?
Traded my 2013 Raptor for a 2016 Yukon XL almost two years ago. Needed a truck that could pull our boat, but also comfortably fit 3 teenagers and a Golden Retriever in the back. It was the right decision for our family, but I really miss my toy. I don’t love the 2nd gen Raptors (looks like a scuba diver to me), and can’t afford one, anyway. Plus, I really want a manual transmission to teach my kids. Convertible also sounds really fun.

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
Interesting are the similarities that bring us to the dealer:

....Now, with the JL, almost everything I've wanted in a car and more are now included.
...I was dismayed at the low level of components/ build for the price. The last time I looked at them until recently, they still had a 4 speed automatic. Since I will want my wife to be a driver, that is a requirement. I recently started looking at them again and discovered that an updated version that is more current in terms of safety and basic features was on the horizon. 25 years later, I’m looking for a fun vehicle...with....Seems like a good time to own a Jeep again.
For the last 12+ years I have been driving a Honda Element Pilot which..is...incredibly reliable and great for hauling the kids around. The kids are all grown up now off to college so I'm going to buy a Jeep. I was about to buy a new JK when I found out about the JL and decided to hold off and wait for the JL. Its more of a reward-for-me sort of thing, climbing the walls all these years and now I'm financially able to get the vehicle I really want.
...Fast forward to 2018 and we are now empty-nesting and financially comfortable. I've owned one a few new car(s) in my life, which I kept for [many]] years. I guess the JL will be my "mid-life crisis car." I want something fun/impractical and I'm not a Porsche or BMW-type of person. The JL fits the bill for me. That said, my DW wouldn't dream of driving anything other than her Small SUV Honda Civic.

Sponsored

AZCrawl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Granite Jeep JLUR
I have had a Toyota Tacoma for 12 years and want to do more advanced off-roading and want to run bigger tires, plus the solid front axle and the Jeep community.

Rinkydink56

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Scion xB
It seems like there are a lot of people who are going to be first time wrangler owners with the JL. I’m wondering, what are you all leaving for the JL, and why?
I've wanted a Jeep for a long, long time. This is the first time I've had the resource. So, why not go for the 'new' one. Also, everything I've read about it and videos I've seen about it show it is the best one, yet. Mine is on order, finally. I'm not sure exactly when I'll have it. I can't wait!

MotoOverland

First Name
Moto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Golf TDI
FCA has made it through the rough patch and is starting to get it's design language right, has a great new set of suppliers, and is making good decisions across many of their brands. The market is really competitive but FCA has found a way to remain competitive.

The attention to details and the thorough redesign of the JL sold me. In addition, the press events and the Jeep product planning team are articulate, smart, yet approachable and clear.

Mike Manley
Mark Allen
Ryan Joyce
Many Others

I appreciate the amount of effort that was devoted to the launch and look forward to placing my order. In a market crowded with options, I find it really important to support companies that respect my time and intelligence. Yes, $50K is a lot of money but if it helps FCA remain profitable, I will support it.

jloyva

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sting-Gray Wrangler JL Sport S, Victory Touring Cruiser, Kia Sorento
Occupation
Project Manaager
Three reasons I'm getting a JL
1. To replace a 2002 Ford Exploder i really don't trust any more
2. Relive the glory days of my CJ-7
3. So the wife can drive around with her top down

CRC

First Name
Casey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKUR Hard Rock, 2023 Toyota Camry XLE AWD
  1. Spent a lot of my childhood in the back of a CJ7.
  2. It's the only 4WD convertible.
  3. We have the Taco in the US instead of the Hilux.
  4. It has to be able to get from my driveway to the trailhead on its own, not under tow.
  5. I never got around to buying a TJ or JK when they were the new thing, and I'm buying new next.
  6. Because I can.
  7. EDIT: Because I don't have the space to restore/fab/store a Jurassic YJ.
Sponsored