Sponsored

NON STOCK SWITCHES., WHERE TO INSTALL THEM?

willy_28

First Name
guillermo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jeep wrangler unlimited rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I would like to get the factory switches on my JL, but kinda pricey. has anyone added switches for led cubes, light bars, or for whatever else? on my JK i had them by the windshield, but the jl has grab handles (mine is a rubicon, don't know if they all come with grab handles on the pilar) . has anyone added switches yet? and if yes can you please post pictures. getting my DV8 front bumper install this sunday, and would like to get my lights install too.

thanks
Sponsored

lookitsadam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Someone on here installed after market heated seats and put their buttons on either side of the dash (think next to the volume/channel scanner toggles but lower down) so you could do something like that. You could also put them near the headlight switch but I can't recall how much available space there is now.

Honestly I think the Mopar auxiliary switches are a great deal compared to SPODS and other after market options the JK had. Plus you can even get your Uconnect flashed to have all the settings for latching vs momentary, battery v ignition, etc.

gothewild

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Bump

I'm currently looking for mounting options. I don't plan on needing any more than 2 switches. I don't want any switch panels. The OEM auxiliary option is not only too expensive, but isn't even located in a convenient spot. Has anyone found any good places to mount two switches? I would ideally put them under the light control knobs, but it looks like you need to remove the entire dash just to get to that spot. Any recommendations would be appreciated, and pictures would be very helpful. Thank you.

Rico1111

First Name
Rico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon 2 door JL
A Pillar! I had mounted switches on my JK on the A Pillar and they were perfect came with the a pillar molding so all you did was cnnect and snap in place and looked totally factory. Haven't checked to see if any are made for the JL with the grab handle there maybe not.

IMG_0993.jpg

Sponsored

gothewild

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
I ended up wiring two switches directly below the headlight/dimmer controls. It made the most sense to me to put my auxiliary light switches in this area. I only wired two switches, but it looked like there may be enough room for 1 or 2 more. There is no need to remove the entire dash to get to this area.

Jeep Wrangler JL NON STOCK SWITCHES., WHERE TO INSTALL THEM? IMG_0326

The headlight controller comes out very easy with a trim removal tool. You can see there's a face plate, followed by the control panel, which has 4 metal clips that hold it in place. Once you pull the panel out, you will be able to unplug the wiring harness by pushing the red tab up and pulling it apart.

Jeep Wrangler JL NON STOCK SWITCHES., WHERE TO INSTALL THEM? IMG_0322

Jeep Wrangler JL NON STOCK SWITCHES., WHERE TO INSTALL THEM? IMG_0323
Jeep Wrangler JL NON STOCK SWITCHES., WHERE TO INSTALL THEM? IMG_0321

I also removed the knee panel below the steering wheel so I could run my wires easier. The panel is held together with clips and comes out relatively easy. Once the headlight controller was removed, I made a template and traced where my holes were going to be. I made sure the wiring wouldn't rub on the headlight controller, once installed. You will have just enough room to wire the switches....unless you have fat hands and/or fat fingers. Good luck. Have patience.

Jeep Wrangler JL NON STOCK SWITCHES., WHERE TO INSTALL THEM? IMG_0317

Jeep Wrangler JL NON STOCK SWITCHES., WHERE TO INSTALL THEM? IMG_0319

Some tips: wire your switches from bottom to top so you have more room to work. Also if you're going to use a dremel to drill your holes, don't slip like I did and scratch your panel.

iamstillvince

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 wrangler sport s
Haven't checked it yet as it's winter but I have a 2 door so only 2 switches on power window panel in center. Hoping the lower 2 don't have anything behind it so I can put a couple switches below window switches

Knapprd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Granite Crystal Metallic, 1986 Porsche 944 Turbo, KTM 1290 SAR
I ended up wiring two switches directly below the headlight/dimmer controls. It made the most sense to me to put my auxiliary light switches in this area. I only wired two switches, but it looked like there may be enough room for 1 or 2 more. There is no need to remove the entire dash to get to this area.

The headlight controller comes out very easy with a trim removal tool. You can see there's a face plate, followed by the control panel, which has 4 metal clips that hold it in place. Once you pull the panel out, you will be able to unplug the wiring harness by pushing the red tab up and pulling it apart.

I also removed the knee panel below the steering wheel so I could run my wires easier. The panel is held together with clips and comes out relatively easy. Once the headlight controller was removed, I made a template and traced where my holes were going to be. I made sure the wiring wouldn't rub on the headlight controller, once installed. You will have just enough room to wire the switches....unless you have fat hands and/or fat fingers. Good luck. Have patience.

Some tips: wire your switches from bottom to top so you have more room to work. Also if you're going to use a dremel to drill your holes, don't slip like I did and scratch your panel.

Thanks for the tips on the switch location. I'm doing something similar, but struggling with where to pass the wires through from the engine bay, back into the cab? I'd love to find a way to get them through near with window frame/ little speaker on top of the dash on the driver side.

Thanks for any insight!

gothewild

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Thanks for the tips on the switch location. I'm doing something similar, but struggling with where to pass the wires through from the engine bay, back into the cab? I'd love to find a way to get them through near with window frame/ little speaker on top of the dash on the driver side.

Thanks for any insight!

There's a plastic plug located on the firewall on the driver's side. That plug can be unscrewed, giving you a hole to run wires through. I drilled a hole through the plug, reinstalled it, and ran the wires through it (so there'd only be a minor opening instead of a 1" hole). Inside the Jeep, you'll see the wires coming through up near your gas pedal. I recommend popping off the panel below the steering wheel to give yourself more room to work with. I found a photo on google showing where the plug is:

Jeep Wrangler JL NON STOCK SWITCHES., WHERE TO INSTALL THEM? Wrangler12

gothewild

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
I'd love to find a way to get them through near with window frame/ little speaker on top of the dash on the driver side.
I'm not entirely sure on how to get them up there. I do believe you will have to do some dashboard dismembering. There are some videos on youtube for swapping out the tweeters. Maybe you can find out your solution there. Good luck.

Sponsored

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Eventually, I plan on installing a Switch Pros panel to the bottom of the driver's a-pillar grab handle. They have a mount specifically for that location, that doesn't impede grabbing of the handle.

rangerrotty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
That hole is not present on manual transmission JLs. It is filled by the clutch mechanism.

There's a plastic plug located on the firewall on the driver's side. That plug can be unscrewed, giving you a hole to run wires through. I drilled a hole through the plug, reinstalled it, and ran the wires through it (so there'd only be a minor opening instead of a 1" hole). Inside the Jeep, you'll see the wires coming through up near your gas pedal. I recommend popping off the panel below the steering wheel to give yourself more room to work with. I found a photo on google showing where the plug is:

Jeep Wrangler JL NON STOCK SWITCHES., WHERE TO INSTALL THEM? Wrangler12

MandKM

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜73 CJ5, ā€˜19 2-door JL Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

If your Jeep is equipped with Homelink you can repurpose a couple switches to power lights or whatever by installing a RF relay switch. Iā€™m using them to drive my rock lights and light bar, as well as my garage door.

Probably not what you had in mind, but food for thought.

Odyssey USA

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
If your Jeep is equipped with Homelink you can repurpose a couple switches to power lights or whatever by installing a RF relay switch. Iā€™m using them to drive my rock lights and light bar, as well as my garage door.

Probably not what you had in mind, but food for thought.
Iā€™m going to pretend to understand. lol All I got was that itā€™s great that you can use an existing button. So is that radio frequency? How does that work?
Sponsored