Non stock 33s on a Rubicon

Rubi2876

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Unlimited Rubicon
Hello All. Trying to ward off the 35 inch craze and wondering if anyone has kept 33s on their JLUR but with a different wheel/more aggressive looking tire. I kind of like the somewhat lifted look that the stock 33's give but wondering if a more aggressive tire/wheel combo helps offset the just a tad too small look. Like wheels with a bit of an offset to give it a more wider stance. I'm not sure I'm sold on the 35s because then it looks like it needs to be lifted again and not tall looking if that makes sense. Not looking for bling wheels either, something that's fit for the utility look of the jeep but has character.

I know the JLUR can go stock with 35s but it really was designed for 33s. Thanks for reading!
Sponsored

Uhdinator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport HT 2.0T Auto, 2003 TJ Rubicon HT
Vehicle Showcase
305/70/17 is in the middle.......bigger than stock, not as big as 315/70.

I have 305/65/17 and they look a hair bigger than stock Rubicon tire you can see in the background. Mostly due to being wider and different backspace on Wheels. The MTZ3's as pictured are not avail in 305/70/17 which would be a little taller than mine.
Mine are actually 32" as measured for speedo re cal.

IMG_4853.JPG

(about same height or slightly taller than a stock Rubicon with tires and 2" spacers)

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
was an ā€˜18 Rubicon Mojito! now a boring Mazda

I have 305/65/17 and they look a hair bigger than stock Rubicon tire you can see in the background. Mostly due to being wider and different backspace on Wheels. The MTZ3's as pictured are not avail in 305/70/17 which would be a little taller than mine.

IMG_4853.JPG

(about same height or slightly taller than a stock Rubicon with tires and 2" spacers)
Iā€™m interested in this as well. I upgraded to 35s but going to pull them off as I donā€™t want to spend money on a regear. Sold my oem tires.
I have KMC rims that I can use with the smaller tires. Debating whether to get grapplers in 33 or go back to KO2

Carlton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps lots of jeeps
Iā€™m interested in this as well. I upgraded to 35s but going to pull them off as I donā€™t want to spend money on a regear. Sold my oem tires.
I have KMC rims that I can use with the smaller tires. Debating whether to get grapplers in 33 or go back to KO2
There is no reason to regear with 35s on a Rubicon. Did you reprogram for the size increase?

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
There is no reason to regear with 35s on a Rubicon. Did you reprogram for the size increase?
No not yet. Only been a week and I was waiting to see how I like it.
i thought reprogramming only makes a difference in the speedometer? Itā€™s the long term effects I worry about.
I got a quote of $1500 to regear. Ouch.
My brother had a bronco years ago with oversized tires that ate his gears. He had to do them over.

Sponsored

Carlton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps lots of jeeps
No not yet. Only been a week and I was waiting to see how I like it.
i thought reprogramming only makes a difference in the speedometer? Itā€™s the long term effects I worry about.
I got a quote of $1500 to regear. Ouch.
My brother had a bronco years ago with oversized tires that ate his gears. He had to do them over.
It corrects the speedometer and odometer. Shift points are based on speed so correcting the speedo will cause the jeep to shift correct again.

Regearing is expensive. Driving your jeep with 35s vs 33s will have no impact on your gears' life span. What would cause them to get chewed up is improper install/not being lined up correctly. Heavy spinning in rocks/mud and the wheel coming to an abrupt stop due to getting stuck will eat gears as well.

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It corrects the speedometer and odometer. Shift points are based on speed so correcting the speedo will cause the jeep to shift correct again.

Regearing is expensive. Driving your jeep with 35s vs 33s will have no impact on your gears' life span. What would cause them to get chewed up is improper install/not being lined up correctly. Heavy spinning in rocks/mud and the wheel coming to an abrupt stop due to getting stuck will eat gears as well.
Oh, I never plan on wheeling just everyday driving. I just don't want any transmission trouble down the road. I feel like such an idiot because I didn't do enough research on this. But seeing that everyone else was doing it.
I probably should have gotten the KO2 c's instead of the grapplers, but didn't think the 12 lb difference would have an impact.

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Mine is a manual.

OP
OP

Rubi2876

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Unlimited Rubicon

IMG_4853.JPG

Those look good! Thanks for posting a pic. I'm growing to like/content with the 33s. At different angles they look perfect. I think the full on side profile is where they start looking a hair too small.

Uhdinator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport HT 2.0T Auto, 2003 TJ Rubicon HT
Vehicle Showcase
Those look good! Thanks for posting a pic. I'm growing to like/content with the 33s. At different angles they look perfect. I think the full on side profile is where they start looking a hair too small.
Look in my "Garage" for more photos. I think they are just about right and room to flex without bashing the fenders.
Any bigger and they would almost rub the lower edge of the front splash guards between the fender and bumper.
Sponsored