Sponsored

Non Rubicon Owners - Would you have paid for upgrades?

Robieman

First Name
Robie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford F150; Sharron's 2020Grand Cherokee
Not to worry, you still will have the brake lock differential on all four wheels (in 4x4). So if you really get into a pinch, the "4 wheel traction control" will kick in (if your in four wheel high or low). The anti spin is just nice to have as an extra, you don't always need 4x4 and it's a little smoother operating that the BLD system.

https://blog.fcanorthamerica.com/2008/02/11/jeep-brake-traction-control-explained/
Thank you Arrowhead. Since I posted this, I did a little more research into the brake lock differential. I think it will work just fine. I have seldom needed 4wd anyway, but I just thought it funny, that they call these 4wd, when the reality is, they are not. Unless of course you have a Rubicon. Thanks again for your reply.
Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Thank you Arrowhead. Since I posted this, I did a little more research into the brake lock differential. I think it will work just fine. I have seldom needed 4wd anyway, but I just thought it funny, that they call these 4wd, when the reality is, they are not. Unless of course you have a Rubicon. Thanks again for your reply.
You are just creating your own definition of four wheel drive that is not accurate. No passenger vehicle has locked differentials.

Robieman

First Name
Robie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford F150; Sharron's 2020Grand Cherokee
You are just creating your own definition of four wheel drive that is not accurate. No passenger vehicle has locked differentials.
Thanks for your reply. I don't think I was creating a definition of 4wd, and I know that vehicles don't have locked or solid axles. I had thought that all front diffs in the different Wrangler models were the same. But as my ole dad used to say to me "BOY, a thought would bust yore head wide open!" I have since discovered that they are different. So, on your Rubicon, when you engage your lockers for your front diff, it makes a mechanical connection between the 2 axles. The Sport model doesn't have those. That's what I was incorrect on, as I thought they did. The reason I said that without the rear limited slip diff, it wasn't true 4wd, was because of my mistake about the front differentials. I think we can agree that with a limited slip diff, when the slipping wheel slips enough, that it will engage the clutches, creating a mechanical connection of the rear axles. That along with the front lockers engaged on the Rubicon, cause all 4 wheels to pull.
Does that sound correct?

Arrowhead

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for your reply. I don't think I was creating a definition of 4wd, and I know that vehicles don't have locked or solid axles. I had thought that all front diffs in the different Wrangler models were the same. But as my ole dad used to say to me "BOY, a thought would bust yore head wide open!" I have since discovered that they are different. So, on your Rubicon, when you engage your lockers for your front diff, it makes a mechanical connection between the 2 axles. The Sport model doesn't have those. That's what I was incorrect on, as I thought they did. The reason I said that without the rear limited slip diff, it wasn't true 4wd, was because of my mistake about the front differentials. I think we can agree that with a limited slip diff, when the slipping wheel slips enough, that it will engage the clutches, creating a mechanical connection of the rear axles. That along with the front lockers engaged on the Rubicon, cause all 4 wheels to pull.
Does that sound correct?
Not sure where mwilk012 was coming from, but I think you have the correct understanding of how it works. Except the Rubicon has a electrically locking front AND rear differentials. I could be wrong about this but I believe the rear is open unless you throw the switch (no clutches). The sport and Sahara are open front and rear unless you get the rear anti spin (limited slip) option. But regardless you get the brake lock differential system (BLD per JEEP) for all four wheels.

Last edited:

Villagevip

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep
Ready, waited for Sahara two door, cloth, soft top.....Nope, only for foreign markets, sad, that I can tell you, believe me...
Hard to pull the cash trigger on a Sport S.,when down the road FCA can change their mind mid stream.....
Desire, all the built in features, looks, and the larger brake system....

Sponsored

punknking

First Name
Chrus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
buying JLU soon
Just wondering if those of us that bought a Sport or Sport S would have paid for upgrades that were available for the Sahara and Rubicon? I would have paid the $895 for the LED lighting package because, you know, I drive at night. I take my Jeep offroad and would have loved to have the option to purchase the 8.4' screen with Off Road Pages. It would have been great to be able to add the steel bumpers on from the factory and been able to finance them with the rest of the Jeep. I understand Jeep wants to sell more Rubicons and Saharas but... Not everyone wants to put $50-60K out for a Jeep from the factory. I don't see many Saharas on trails... Give me your thoughts.
The stock halogen lights in the JL arent great, but they are massively better than the JK's stockers. I literally was scared to drive at night before I got aftermarket headlights in my JK.

I was shocked about all the JLU complaints. Theres no way Id pay 600 bucks for 7 inch retrofit hack jobs people are doing here

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
The stock halogen lights in the JL arent great, but they are massively better than the JK's stockers. I literally was scared to drive at night before I got aftermarket headlights in my JK.

I was shocked about all the JLU complaints. Theres no way Id pay 600 bucks for 7 inch retrofit hack jobs people are doing here
We parked my husband's 17 JK next to my 19 JL, both stock headlights, and the difference is night and day. I'm definitely upgrading my husband's JK headlights soon.

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
And no regrets with my Sport S. I only ordered a 3.6 auto with the upgraded wheels. I ran the first tank of gas out the first day (Friday) :devil: I traded in my TJ, and the JL is light years ahead. Now, I just have to wait for nice weather so I can go topless!:rock:

Spartan99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 JKUX
Yes. The auto sway bar disconnect, better axles, lockers and rock crawl gearing are a nice package.

Sponsored

rallydefault

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S
No regrets, honestly.

I like researching upgrades and waiting for deals, and I love putting work into something to make it really feel like mine (not that you can't put further work into a Rubicon, of course, but it certainly needs a lot less out of the gate).

Also not a fan of the Rubi hood to be honest - a little too much craziness going on there for my old-school taste.

One thing I will probably miss at some point is the locker, though. But like a wise man once said, don't do serious off roading with a vehicle payment. Once I get this puppy paid off, I'll look into some options for that.

Uhdinator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport HT 2.0T Auto, 2003 TJ Rubicon HT
Vehicle Showcase
2018 2 dr sport, 2.0 Auto, Tinted window hard top and AC.

Much nicer than my 2003 Rubicon that didn't have E-disconnects or traction control. Barely used the lockers in it.
I'll be fine. The JL sport has 305/65's and a 2" spacer kit and is just as tall as the Ruby with 2.5" and 285's.

Options you pay for twice........when you buy them and when they break. I don't miss any of the bells and whistles.

TrewJL

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
Occupation
CEO
Just wondering if those of us that bought a Sport or Sport S would have paid for upgrades that were available for the Sahara and Rubicon? I would have paid the $895 for the LED lighting package because, you know, I drive at night. I take my Jeep offroad and would have loved to have the option to purchase the 8.4' screen with Off Road Pages. It would have been great to be able to add the steel bumpers on from the factory and been able to finance them with the rest of the Jeep. I understand Jeep wants to sell more Rubicons and Saharas but... Not everyone wants to put $50-60K out for a Jeep from the factory. I don't see many Saharas on trails... Give me your thoughts.
Definitely would upgrade. My JKU was a Sahara and just the axles and gear ratio would have made me upgraded. That being said I had already invested 15k in the RIG and needed the bigger axles and higher gear ratio.

rcr1340

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon(LJ)
Occupation
retail manager
I think the Sport should have more available options. Just because someone does not want power windows and locks, doesn't mean that they don't want an upgraded stereo(7' and Alpine), Premium Soft Top, LED headlights or Trail Rail Management.

c20040215

First Name
Leon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S; 2023 Honda Civic Sport Touring
Vehicle Showcase
I got my sport s pretty much fully loaded. Premium sound, cold weather pkg, hardtop, safety pkg, convenient pkg, and headliner. Two only options I don't have are tow pkg and 8 speed auto which I don't want.

I am very pleased with it. Everything I need nothing I don't nothing fancy.
Sponsored