Sponsored

Non Rubicon Owners - Would you have paid for upgrades?

lookitsadam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
I have a Sport S with every option. The only other thing I would have wanted would be LED lights, and plan to buy these as soon as the backlog is gone. An 8.4in screen would be nice but the 7 does everything I need it to (I don't need nav or gimmicky off road pages). Also I do plan on picking up some take off Rubicon rock rails just to cover the pinch seam and give a little more protection but that's an easy find.
Sponsored

JLUSSOBRTP

First Name
Aimee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUSS
I would've liked the 8.4", mainly to have the ability to do remote start and unlock from my Apple Watch without having to have the remote start/cold weather group. Also the LED group. I know I can change bulbs, but I haven't found anything I like as much as the OEM ones.

1995YJ

First Name
Vincent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1995 YJ Rio Grande, 2018 JL Sport S 3.6L 6 Spd
Occupation
Firefighter
LED’s should’ve been an option across the board. That’s is all.

RERAIL

First Name
Kell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU SPORT
Occupation
Retired Law Enforcement
Just wondering if those of us that bought a Sport or Sport S would have paid for upgrades that were available for the Sahara and Rubicon? I would have paid the $895 for the LED lighting package because, you know, I drive at night. I take my Jeep offroad and would have loved to have the option to purchase the 8.4' screen with Off Road Pages. It would have been great to be able to add the steel bumpers on from the factory and been able to finance them with the rest of the Jeep. I understand Jeep wants to sell more Rubicons and Saharas but... Not everyone wants to put $50-60K out for a Jeep from the factory. I don't see many Saharas on trails... Give me your thoughts.

My first Jeep JLU Sport is due in two weeks. Since I don't have a daily commute, I didn't need (or want) the extra creature comforts of a Sahara or Rubicon. Added Sirius Sat. Radio, Limited Slip with Goodyear AT's, Tow package (Because I traded in my 2004 Dodge 3500 Cummins), so I may need a utility trailer. Rock Rails to hid the pitch seem and a little extra protection, optional tailgate reinforcement. Never know if I might want bigger shoes. I would have liked the LED package. lots of dense winter fog in the Central San Joaquin Valley here in CA. Looks like some good options are available from Diode Dynamics. DOT compliant and half the price.

steelrain82

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
My first Jeep actually belongs to my wife. We have never done off reading as we have always owned cars and driven on the road. However, the salesman talked her out of the selec-trac, anti-slip, and auxiliary/tow package because he asked her if she ever did any rock crawling and she said no. Despite my input she didn't listen to me, so now she says if she is going to do anything to the Jeep it will be to add lightbars. How are you going to do that without the auxiliary pack I asked her? "I wish you would have said something." was her response. So while not a sport, I would have gladly paid for those instead of the neutered Sahara I have.

Sponsored

Carolina88

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting-Gray JLU Sport S
My first Jeep actually belongs to my wife. We have never done off reading as we have always owned cars and driven on the road. However, the salesman talked her out of the selec-trac, anti-slip, and auxiliary/tow package because he asked her if she ever did any rock crawling and she said no. Despite my input she didn't listen to me, so now she says if she is going to do anything to the Jeep it will be to add lightbars. How are you going to do that without the auxiliary pack I asked her? "I wish you would have said something." was her response. So while not a sport, I would have gladly paid for those instead of the neutered Sahara I have.
I'm still confused about the anti-slip feature. If you don't off-road/rock crawl, will it help in other circumstances like rain or snow? I'm planning to get a Sport S and wondering if it's worth it to get the Dana 44/LSD option even though I'll be on pavement all the time.

Arrowhead

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport
Vehicle Showcase
I'm still confused about the anti-slip feature. If you don't off-road/rock crawl, will it help in other circumstances like rain or snow? I'm planning to get a Sport S and wondering if it's worth it to get the Dana 44/LSD option even though I'll be on pavement all the time.
Up here in the Northeast I wanted the anti spin for winter. A lot of times I'll have situation where the roads are clear, but there my be slick spots or snow built up on secondary roads or parking lots. The anti slip will get me though most of that with out having to constantly shift in and out of 4x4. I believe the standard traction control will help, but I like the constant smoothness of the anti spin.

Biscuit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Retired
It’s the smallest thing you could possibly imagine, but auto on/off headlights seem to me to be something all cars should have since it’s a legitimate safety feature that I wouldn’t be surprised it it costs the manufacturer $20 to include. In 2018 I don’t even consider it a convenience feature. It could save lives.

That’s the only thing on my base Sport that I honestly think Jeep cheaped out on.
And DRL. I've gotten into the habit of turning on the parking and fog lights on cloudy, rainy or foggy days.

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F-250, 18’ Toyota 4Runner
I went with the SPORT and honestly the only thing I would JEEP would let you add on was Power Locks. I have no need for anything else. My Sport came with 8-speed, Limited Slip and Hard Top. I just wish I could have gotten Power locks without going full blown 24S Package.

I'm in the process of installing the power locks and the TechAuthority Service Manuals and diagrams is a big help.

Wanderingwheelz

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport
You can probably live w/o it. If you trade your cars in rather than selling them private party you’ll be even better off for having skipped it. I made sure to have it on mine since for the money it gives me peace of mind, and I also like having something that gives my car an edge over most others when it’s resale time. On a Sport that was really the only significant feature after automatic and air.

Keep in mind you’ll receive highway tires rather than A/T tires if you skip Anti-Spin, which could affect your rough weather performance too.

Sponsored

Wanderingwheelz

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport
My wife has me pick out her cars for her.

She picks out my shoes for me. :)

Robieman

First Name
Robie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford F150; Sharron's 2020Grand Cherokee
Must have, locking rear diff. How else can you call it a 4 wheel drive? I asked for it when I ordered mine and dealer said it was on restriction!! Great! Funny, but I've not read on these forums of anyone else having that happen.

Jfolland

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLU Sport
Base Sport Unlimited here. The single option on my JLU is the anti-spin/all-terrains..Only thing additional I wanted was LED package, and perhaps a Rubi wheel/tire option...other than that, I'm all set.

TimmH

First Name
Timm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sahara 3.6 Auto
Vehicle Showcase
I have the Sahara, and the only thing I wish I would have gotten was proximity locks.
Just seems stupid to have push button start but still have to grab the brick to get in.
And maybe LED lights, but better lights will be available aftermarketbsoon, I really want RGB halos.

Arrowhead

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Must have, locking rear diff. How else can you call it a 4 wheel drive? I asked for it when I ordered mine and dealer said it was on restriction!! Great! Funny, but I've not read on these forums of anyone else having that happen.
Not to worry, you still will have the brake lock differential on all four wheels (in 4x4). So if you really get into a pinch, the "4 wheel traction control" will kick in (if your in four wheel high or low). The anti spin is just nice to have as an extra, you don't always need 4x4 and it's a little smoother operating that the BLD system.

https://blog.fcanorthamerica.com/2008/02/11/jeep-brake-traction-control-explained/
Sponsored