Sponsored

Non Rubicon Owners - Would you have paid for upgrades?

flipboltz

First Name
Nikk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport S 2 Door
Vehicle Showcase
Just wondering if those of us that bought a Sport or Sport S would have paid for upgrades that were available for the Sahara and Rubicon? I would have paid the $895 for the LED lighting package because, you know, I drive at night. I take my Jeep offroad and would have loved to have the option to purchase the 8.4' screen with Off Road Pages. It would have been great to be able to add the steel bumpers on from the factory and been able to finance them with the rest of the Jeep. I understand Jeep wants to sell more Rubicons and Saharas but... Not everyone wants to put $50-60K out for a Jeep from the factory. I don't see many Saharas on trails... Give me your thoughts.
Sponsored

azamani

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited JL Sport S
Just wondering if those of us that bought a Sport or Sport S would have paid for upgrades that were available for the Sahara and Rubicon? I would have paid the $895 for the LED lighting package because, you know, I drive at night. I take my Jeep offroad and would have loved to have the option to purchase the 8.4' screen with Off Road Pages. It would have been great to be able to add the steel bumpers on from the factory and been able to finance them with the rest of the Jeep. I understand Jeep wants to sell more Rubicons and Saharas but... Not everyone wants to put $50-60K out for a Jeep from the factory. I don't see many Saharas on trails... Give me your thoughts.
I have a Sport S and have no regrets. Would have liked the bigger uconnect screen (I have 7") and the parking sensors (not a big deal- my former car just spoiled me where I could hear how close I'm getting to something), but honestly, can't think of a whole lot I'm missing out on for the massive price gap. I'm not a hardcore off roader so the Rubicon was never really in consideration. After closely looking at the Sahara vs Sport S, couldn't justify the price difference for the difference in features.

The way I look at it, the Sahara is a more luxury Sport. The more expensive and luxurious something is, naturally the more you'll be concerned or cringe treating it like a Jeep.

Mattius1337

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sport S(JL)
The only Non sport S thing from the rubicon i would have payed for was the lockers honestly. For light trail riding in BC Canada my 2 door sport s has been everything that i could ask for.

chiggerdude

First Name
Brian Head
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR and a 2010 JK - 2010 JK Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Our JK has no options. Crank windows, no air, no cruise etc.
Honestly owning 3 jeeps it comes down to what you use the most and what frustrates you the least.
Our JK has no options. It has crank windows, no air, no cruise etc. (Wife's Jeep)
I have to have cruise and power windows in a JKL/JLU
In a JK/JL I personally only need cc.
When I bought the JLUR I told them I only wanted the basic Rubi package... It had more than what I needed. But since I wanted the HD44s I had to take a few extras on.

Wanderingwheelz

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport
It’s the smallest thing you could possibly imagine, but auto on/off headlights seem to me to be something all cars should have since it’s a legitimate safety feature that I wouldn’t be surprised it it costs the manufacturer $20 to include. In 2018 I don’t even consider it a convenience feature. It could save lives.

That’s the only thing on my base Sport that I honestly think Jeep cheaped out on.

Sponsored

Djmatt85

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JL Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
That was the main reason I upgraded to the Sahara over the sport... LED light package and 8.4” uconnect (along with others). I know it’s possible to upgrade later, but seems like a hassle and may not have all the features of a factory installed option. So, I guess their marketing technique worked. lol

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I see it both ways.

On one hand, it would be nice to have access to every option you want on a Sport.

On the other hand, this would make it stupid to have various trim levels.

I brought home the Sport because it was in my price range. If I had money for more options, I would have just gotten a Sahara or Rubicon instead.

LouNYC

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
I always wanted the Sahara because:

- Selec-Trac was a must have
- LED package was a must have
- 8.4" Screen is awesome
- Painted fenders and hardtop

* Disclaimer: My vehicle can be seen at malls on weekends.

Wanderingwheelz

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport
I always wanted the Sahara because:

- Selec-Trac was a must have
- LED package was a must have
- 8.4" Screen is awesome
- Painted fenders and hardtop

* Disclaimer: My vehicle can be seen at malls on weekends.
I’m fascinated that people still go the mall. At least in a Wrangler you don’t need to slow down for speed bumps. So onvioisly it’s the perfect mall car for that reason alone.

Arrowhead

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport
Vehicle Showcase
My 2 dr Sport came with the 24S package and had everything I wanted and nothing I didn't. Options included hardtop, auto, A/C, Anti spin Dana 44 rear axle and convenience group (didn't need that one though). I don't really understand the fascination with the big screens, I don't care for it but since a backup camera is mandated well then fine, the small 5" one is plenty. The tow package might have been nice, but the hitch from my old JK is already bolted on. The wiring though, the JL is completely different and it need a module and 12v wire run up to the distribution box. I'm guessing the wiring is not rated for trailer light loads so that why a separate feed is needed.

Sponsored

OP
OP
flipboltz

flipboltz

First Name
Nikk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport S 2 Door
Vehicle Showcase
I see it both ways.

On one hand, it would be nice to have access to every option you want on a Sport.

On the other hand, this would make it stupid to have various trim levels.

I brought home the Sport because it was in my price range. If I had money for more options, I would have just gotten a Sahara or Rubicon instead.
I get it. I brought home the Sport for the same reason. I think the trim levels could have stayed the same with Standard features like Leather seats, cold weather package, auto sway bar disconnect, lockers... I would have liked some of the package options to be available for most levels. I understand why Jeep did what they did, but with the Wrangler being the most modified vehicle ever, some more options from the factory would have been nice to have.

Luvmejeeps

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu sport. 2004 TJ
Nope....cause most the time aftermarket (non jeep or mopar)items are cheaper and better.

ChrispyJL

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk"N JLU Sport s
Occupation
Building Mechanic
Nope...
Sport s for me.
No me gusta leather in my jeeps.
LED package...for that $895 I can have lightworkz do a nice HID retrofit and complete bulb swap to LED, I don't like LED Headlights, they do not generate enough heat in winter to melt snow and ice.
8.4 and alpine...maybe, as I do like music, but I have no problem with the 7" unless i'm next to a truck on the highway with the top down.
Bumper group...better looking bumpers and cheaper aftermarket (front and rear I want is under $1000)
D44s, lockers and electronic sway bar discos....44s would have been nice, im not a fan of electronic lockers or electric sway bar discos.

Auto park, safety group, lane assist, adaptive CC, front collision warning...you can keep that trash out of my jeep, my last vehicle had all that poop, it was so annoying to drive.

S2k Chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AP1 S2000, Rubicon 4xe
Occupation
Finance
The only thing I feel like I REALLY missed out on is the LED headlights. I got my Sport S pretty well loaded (tech, cold weather, homelink, Alpine, 2x tops) and would have clicked a couple more boxes had they been available. Also wish I could've gotten the proximity entry feature.

Next time I'll probably get a nearly-loaded Rubicon (unless there's a special edition that makes more sense); this was basically my "Trial Jeep" lease to see how I liked it.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
I would have gotten LEDs. A little disappointed because it was an option on the JK Sport S. Otherwise I got exactly what I wanted.
Sponsored