Sponsored

Non Rubicon Owners - Would you have paid for upgrades?

crystalbackJL

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon JL
I purchased my Sport with bare bones except for the LSD rear.

I do miss keyless entry and would not have minded an option for steel bumpers.
So far I have added aftermarket wheels and just purchased OEM Rubicon steel front bumper (so I can install a winch).

Dana 44 front axle would have been a great option.

I did not want anything fancy on my Jeep. Would be nice to have a Sport with the Rubicon axles, case, and suspension.
Sponsored

19SilverRubicon

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2 door Rubicon
I wish I could have ordered my Rubicon 2 door without Power windows, locks, cruise, and no stupid backup camera. Had crank windows in my JK Rubicon

Goheels050917

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU (SOLD - March 2021)
Occupation
SD-WAN Engineer - Technical Author

hybrid3.0

First Name
Erin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JGC
Outside of cosmetic items like floormats, door sills or grab handles; I load up my purchase from the factory if I want that feature even if there is a cheaper aftermarket alternative. There is a lot of smart engineering and consideration that goes into designing a product to work together on a platform as a whole. I have seen fitment issues (gaps between fender trim) on this forum when installing a factory steel rear rubicon bumper onto a sahara. People have solutions and workarounds, but this is not something I want to mess with when I can pay a little more and get it right the first time. If you are constrained by budget at the time of purchase, then it makes sense to add some of these things later but I believe buying the options initially as configured provides peace-of-mind with a warranty to boot.

JeezAJeep

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Baja..2019 BMW X2
Anything I buy I normally buy up, not down. I ordered a fully loaded Willys...the only option I did not get was a diesel engine and a hard top(I hate them)...with that said, I could not justify paying another 15-20k more for a Ruby....I do not go off roading...I am just a city slicker from NYC who loves the Wranglers.

Sponsored

hybrid3.0

First Name
Erin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JGC
Anything I buy I normally buy up, not down. I ordered a fully loaded Willys...the only option I did not get was a diesel engine and a hard top(I hate them)...with that said, I could not justify paying another 15-20k more for a Ruby....I do not go off roading...I am just a city slicker from NYC who loves the Wranglers.
Great choice! I especially love the sun and sound package on the Willys which gets you the 8.4 Uconnect, Alpine speakers and sky roof for msrp $4k. Most other trims have it about a $4k upcharge just for the sky roof over the standard fabric top! I was close to pulling trigger on that but decided I was ready for an electric vehicle in the 4xe.

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTS-V, 2018 JLU Sport Firecracker Red
Just wondering if those of us that bought a Sport or Sport S would have paid for upgrades that were available for the Sahara and Rubicon?
Most of the options don't interest me. I was even undecided about hand crank windows because they can be more convenient when camping. Now if the Rubicon suspension becomes a stand-alone option, that is one that I would have considered.

At Risk Ute

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
milehightrails.com
Vehicle(s)
‘94 YJ, ‘21 JLR, ‘22 JLUR XR, ‘23 392 XR
Occupation
Retired Navy
Bare bones Sport besides AC, LSD, floor mats, tinted rear windows, and Sirius XM. Wanted a 2 door manual / something light and simple. I have to point to my kids the window crank and manual locks. Dana 30 has been a blessing to temper my mods.

No regrets but in hindsight, would have paid FCA for a Rubi suspension, tires, gears, and TC instead of upgrading them myself. First two are easy but gears ain’t cheap. I was ignorant about the TC differences when I purchased... rubi/sport and auto/manny variants.

Htfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S - 3.6L
Vehicle Showcase
There is absolutely nothing I need that I can't add on later to my Sport S. I also like the $20k extra I didn't spend on the Rubicon in my pocket much better ;)

Hound Dog

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon, 2002 TJ Rustomatic
I didn't have to buy all that stuff to get my JL up to the level of a Rubicon either. Yep that's right. Mine came with an upgraded suspension, power windows and locks, proximity locks, back up camera, all weather floor mats, heated power mirrors, cruise control, molle seat backs, locking differentials front and rear, 4.10 gears, 4:1 transfer case, electric sway bar disconnects, larger brakes, 33 inch tires (bumped to 35's anyway and didn't need a lift). That's right. Stock off the lot and didn't have to pay extra for it all.

Oh, yea, right... It's a Rubicon.

Sponsored

Hound Dog

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon, 2002 TJ Rustomatic
There is absolutely nothing I need that I can't add on later to my Sport S. I also like the $20k extra I didn't spend on the Rubicon in my pocket much better ;)
You saved $20k?!? Man you got a smokin' deal! If I could have snatched up a brand new Sport S with a 3.6 for $22k I would have been all over it. I need to take you with me next time and reel in a deal like that. I would be glad to pay a commission.

Htfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S - 3.6L
Vehicle Showcase
You saved $20k?!? Man you got a smokin' deal! If I could have snatched up a brand new Sport S with a 3.6 for $22k I would have been all over it. I need to take you with me next time and reel in a deal like that. I would be glad to pay a commission.
Afraid that you are using different numbers in VA. We are in a completely different market in Southern California.

$50k - $30k = $20k here :LOL:

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTS-V, 2018 JLU Sport Firecracker Red
Afraid that you are using different numbers in VA. We are in a completely different market in Southern California.

$50k - $30k = $20k here :LOL:
I was shopping back in the spring, with full employee pricing discounts in effect. A fully stripped JLU with hardtop and automatic was just above $30k, maybe $32k. With stick shift and soft top maybe you could get really close to $30k. The best I was finding on a Rubicon was about $48k. So $20k is a full fabrication, the real number is closer to $18k. Or $20k is low if you are looking at a loaded Rubicon.

Htfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S - 3.6L
Vehicle Showcase
I was shopping back in the spring, with full employee pricing discounts in effect. A fully stripped JLU with hardtop and automatic was just above $30k, maybe $32k. With stick shift and soft top maybe you could get really close to $30k. The best I was finding on a Rubicon was about $48k. So $20k is a full fabrication, the real number is closer to $18k. Or $20k is low if you are looking at a loaded Rubicon.
Yes, this is closer to the market here in So Cal. Also, my purchase was in early 2019 and you couldn't touch a Rubicon for under $50k unless it was stripped. My Sport S has a decent amount of factory addons. I did get a great deal!

emptyminded42

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hellayella JLU Sport S 6MT, Forester XT
Occupation
Engineer
I wish my Sport S had the LED lighting, Cold Weather Package, and CarPlay but I don't want automatic climate control. But I like that I paid a mere $31k for my JLU Sport S vs. over $40k I'd have to shell out for a more loaded Sport S or Sahara. I don't need the extra features really and I can add LED headlights pretty inexpensively later on in the aftermarket. I don't off-road or will be doing it so infrequently I don't need the LSD rear end, a stronger front axle, or 33" or 35" A/T tires.
Sponsored