Non-Rubi/Willys wheels and "curb" appeal

Mccorm67

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLU Sahara
Months ago, before I placed my '22 JLU Sahara order, I was doing my own recon looking at Wranglers that I spotted day to day, and taking note of what appealed to me and what did not. One of the most immediate impressions I got had to do with wheels and tires, and whether they looked "puny" compared to the rest of the vehicle. The larger and more rugged tires seem to go hand in hand with the overall "curb" appeal of the Wrangler, and is what appealed to me. Even my kids got into it, spotting Wranglers and saying things like "eww, those wheels are tiny". Kinda like a big muscular dude with size 7 feet lol. When I placed my Sahara order, I learned that there was only one option for the Sahara, and since then I have quietly feared that my Jeep would have the look I don't love. Obviously, I could swap them out, and I won't know until it arrives how it looks in reality. Might be worried for nothing. So, I'm looking forward to folks posting on this forum when they have pics of their 2022 Sahara's, so I can see what it will actually look like. Anyone else notice this when they see other Jeeps, the "tiny feet" phenomenon? Just an observation and I can't wait to take delivery, I will love her no matter what she looks like :)
Sponsored

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

'21 Sahara Altitude owner here. That "puny" look you're seeing is *usually* after someone puts a lift on it.

Stock from the factory, the Sahara looks great (IMO) - it sits at the right height for its stock tires to look just fine:
Jeep Wrangler JL Non-Rubi/Willys wheels and "curb" appeal 20210717_082849

HOWEVER, it also looks pretty sick with a small Teraflex spacer lift and 33" Rubicon take-offs:
Jeep Wrangler JL Non-Rubi/Willys wheels and "curb" appeal PXL_20220101_192623306

But overall, I don't regret going with the Sahara at all. It's so fun.

Hennessey17

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sport
In my opinion, the stock Rubicon wheels and tires are a perfect size... some of the huge tires people are putting on look crazy out of proportion. (if you're using them for rock crawling... ignore me, this is more about the people compensating)

I also really like the look of the Sahara wheels.

But it really depends on how "you're" going to use it.

WreckEm711

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Sport 6 speed
HOWEVER, it also looks pretty sick with a small Teraflex spacer lift and 33" Rubicon take-offs:
Jeep Wrangler JL Non-Rubi/Willys wheels and "curb" appeal PXL_20220101_192623306

But overall, I don't regret going with the Sahara at all. It's so fun.
Love the proportions of that, what size spacer lift did you use?

OP
OP
Mccorm67

Mccorm67

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLU Sahara
OMG you have all made my (and my kid's) day! I think you're totally right about the lift being the culprit. Love that blue Sahara!! Not that there is anything wrong with people with tiny feet :)

Sponsored

Shibadog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S hardtop
Occupation
Safety &Fire Protection Engineer (Retired)
IMHO a set of stock Rubi wheels and KO2’s really looks good on a “stock” height Jeep. if you install a lift on one, the you get the “small feet” look because of the tire/fender gap. A set of Rubi takeoffs will dress your otherwise stock Sahara up nicely. I put them on my Sports S JL, with limited slip, installed Rockhard Patriot Aluminum bumpers front and rear and added a winch. Rig, to me anyway, looks “right”, plus it will easily go anyplace I’ve tried to go (thus far anyway). The winch and related recovery equipment are insurance. You have it, hope you don’t need it, but wouldn’t take a young fortune for it when you do. My old TJ was set up similarly and was a delight for 10 years..

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

Love the proportions of that, what size spacer lift did you use?
This is the 1.5" Teraflex spacer lift* and then I got a sick deal on the Rubi take-offs ($1K for the full set of 5, brand new, less than 100mi on them).

Measured before lift, my Sahara was perfectly level (though it doesn't look it in the first pic). The Teraflex is NOT level - it is designed to account for the normal factory rake (which I didn't have) so I had to buy the 0.5" rear spacers and install them after. It's still not *perfectly* level but you can only tell if you're really looking.

IMHO a set of stock Rubi wheels and KO2’s really looks good on a “stock” height Jeep. if you install a lift on one, the you get the “small feet” look because of the tire/fender gap. A set of Rubi takeoffs will dress your otherwise stock Sahara up nicely. I put them on my Sports S JL, with limited slip, installed Rockhard Patriot Aluminum bumpers front and rear and added a winch. Rig, to me anyway, looks “right”, plus it will easily go anyplace I’ve tried to go (thus far anyway). The winch and related recovery equipment are insurance. You have it, hope you don’t need it, but wouldn’t take a young fortune for it when you do. My old TJ was set up similarly and was a delight for 10 years..
Yes. Especially the MOPAR lift - it gets waaay more than 2", from my research. Bumpers are my next shopping item - I'm currently planning on the Rugged Ridge full-width + a bull bar. The exact look I want. Winch will come quickly after that.

Once I've got the bumpers+winch on there, I'll likely pull the spacer lift and do a proper suspension. My challenge was that I did NOT want more than ~2" of total lift - I have a short garage and a short wife, so getting 3"+ inches would actually have been a really bad thing for me (contrary to most on the forum).

WreckEm711

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Sport 6 speed
This is the 1.5" Teraflex spacer lift* and then I got a sick deal on the Rubi take-offs ($1K for the full set of 5, brand new, less than 100mi on them).

Measured before lift, my Sahara was perfectly level (though it doesn't look it in the first pic). The Teraflex is NOT level - it is designed to account for the normal factory rake (which I didn't have) so I had to buy the 0.5" rear spacers and install them after. It's still not *perfectly* level but you can only tell if you're really looking.
Excellent, I appreciate all the detail!

Gmot123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Billet Silver
OP, sounds like you’ve already placed your order, but you could have gone with the High Altitude which has 20” wheels. Definitely beefier and I’ve driven the High Altitude, though to be perfectly honest, I prefer the ride in my Sahara with stock 18” wheels.

In any event, here is my 2020 Sahara with the stock 18” wheels and 255/70R/18 Dueler A/T tires, and I think she looks rather nicely proportioned if I may say so…. :)

90A532CB-E4E7-42F1-BB0E-3CC62AB6626C.jpeg

Grooster

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Unlimited Rubicon, 2016 Cherokee Latitude
Occupation
IT Director
I ran the stock Sahara wheels for 3 years then upgraded to Rubicon wheels and KO2s. Might have lost 1 mpg. EXCELLENT off road! The Bridgestones were great tires, too. Ran both of them on Colorado trails without issue.

I had the same wheels as Gmot123's Sahara above, too. Great wheel and tire combo but always felt like I needed something MORE. The Rubicon wheels and tires were a direct, no issue swap. Recommended!

If you want to keep the Sahara wheels and upgrade the tires to BFG KO2s or comparable you'll really like the look. Definitely beefier!

Jeep Wrangler JL Non-Rubi/Willys wheels and "curb" appeal JeepLar

Sponsored

OP
OP
Mccorm67

Mccorm67

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLU Sahara
OP, sounds like you’ve already placed your order, but you could have gone with the High Altitude which has 20” wheels. Definitely beefier and I’ve driven the High Altitude, though to be perfectly honest, I prefer the ride in my Sahara with stock 18” wheels.

In any event, here is my 2020 Sahara with the stock 18” wheels and 255/70R/18 Dueler A/T tires, and I think she looks rather nicely proportioned if I may say so…. :)

Jeep Wrangler JL Non-Rubi/Willys wheels and "curb" appeal JeepLar
Thanks Gmot123 and Grooster for the pics and the perspective. Honestly didn't investigate the High Altitude, don't remember why. Probably was trying to keep it simple and on budget. Your 2020 looks great and defy not tiny feet. If I'm not mistaken I think your wheels/tires are also stock on the 2022, so it's good to see how they actually look.

OP
OP
Mccorm67

Mccorm67

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLU Sahara
I really didn't like the tires/rims on my '21 Sahara 4xe. I ended up keeping the rims and going with a larger AT tire and really happy with the look.

Jeep Wrangler JL Non-Rubi/Willys wheels and "curb" appeal IMG_2796 2
Damn, I do prefer those Altitude rims...grrrrr

JABCAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 GC High Altitude 4x4, '22 JLU on order
Occupation
College Professor
I really like the Willys wheels we have on our current JKU and am on the fence about the Sahara Altitude wheels that will be coming on our '22. If I don't sell the JKU before the Sahara comes in I may have the dealer swap them. I'll have to see the Sahara Altitude wheels in person.

Jeep Wrangler JL Non-Rubi/Willys wheels and "curb" appeal '16 Unlimited Backcountry drivers side

Current JKU with Willys wheels & 265/70/17 tires

Jeep Wrangler JL Non-Rubi/Willys wheels and "curb" appeal Sahara Altitude side

What our Sahara Altitude will look like with 18' wheels and 255/70/18 tires

Zoopy123

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4xe Sahara
Occupation
Media Services
Damn, I do prefer those Altitude rims...grrrrr
I bet you could find people selling those rims from their 4xe. I've got a set to sell bc I put on some Rubicon rims instead (wink wink). But likely we are too far being in Boston to make it worth your time. I know I'm not the only one selling!
Sponsored