tykurez

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR 4xe, 2021 JT Willys
Damn, I do prefer those Altitude rims...grrrrr
Yea man sorry! I sold my HA wheels from my ‘21 Sahara 4xe right after I got the vehicle - someone bought them to put on their Gladiator. Right down the road from you …

For reference I just went with 33s on a set of Method wheels but I really contemplated putting 33s on the stock wheels like @halsjeep

Jeep Wrangler JL Non-Rubi/Willys wheels and "curb" appeal 4D6CEBD1-1B21-4D41-99FC-868037DA6230
Sponsored

BigWave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR\XR and 2014 WK2
I always dig the stock Sahara wheels when I see them in the wild. Darker wheels tend to catch my eye most on Wranglers, and the polished grey wheels are just on the correct side of the dark/bright spectrum for me.

With the various Altitude editions throughout the Jeep brand I think their design team picked up on that spectrum, too, as evidenced by the blackout look adopted in the lineup.

For the extra boost in curb appeal an option to perhaps consider is eventually going with a more aggressive tire. With our WK2, once the OEM Michelin all-seasons reached the end of their useful life, I upgraded to a Goodyear Duratrac. The look was just enough for those who somewhat pay attention to call out how much they liked the look -- it was slightly different than what they typically saw tooling around town.

Have a great time with your family in the new rig.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
A lot of Sahara owners throw away perfectly good wheels thinking they look puny.

The fact is all it takes is a meatier set of tires to make them look better.

Here is my Sahara with a set of 275/70R18 KO2s on the stock wheels; it looks a lot better with just meatier tires.
Jeep Wrangler JL Non-Rubi/Willys wheels and "curb" appeal 1641919905840

Jeep Wrangler JL Non-Rubi/Willys wheels and "curb" appeal 74AA97EC-A0AB-4B2D-993E-1BEE29EFCBDB

If you take into account Sahara wheels’ relative lightweight construction, and look up closely the level of craftsmanship that goes into machined finish, the painted pockets and the clear coating, you will be impressed.

People let them go for peanuts, often to buy wheels that are much heavier and of overall inferior quality and craftsmanship.

Last edited:

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
Anyone else notice this when they see other Jeeps, the "tiny feet" phenomenon?
No, just the opposite. I've seen a few Jeeps with comically oversized tires, even when allowing for the aesthetics of the lift already installed on the vehicle. Two-door Wranglers are particularly susceptible here. Their abbreviated wheelbase means it's easier for them to look like a clown car if the tire size is too far removed from what's proportionate for the vehicle's configuration.

What matters, of course, is if the owner likes how their Jeep is set up. You asked about a vehicle's appearance, though, so the wormy can is thus opened. ;)

OP
OP
Mccorm67

Mccorm67

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLU Sahara
Thanks to all the posters for pics and suggestions, you have restored my faith in humanity...at least when it comes to wheels and tires :) Speaking of puny, I'm trading in my little Nissan Juke for the Wrangler, so I'm clearing over compensating.....

Sponsored

Hennessey17

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sport
A lot of Sahara owners throw away perfectly good wheels thinking they look puny.

Here is my Sahara with a set of 275/70R18 KO2s on the stock wheels; it looks a lot better with just meatier tires.
Jeep Wrangler JL Non-Rubi/Willys wheels and "curb" appeal 74AA97EC-A0AB-4B2D-993E-1BEE29EFCBDB

If you take into account Sahara wheels’ relative lightweight construction, and look up close the level of craftsmanship that goes into machined finish and the level of detail into the charcoal paint and the clear coat, you will be impressed.

People let them go for peanuts, often to buy wheels that are much heavier and of overall inferior quality and craftsmanship.
As I said above, I really like the Sahara wheels, and with the KO2s, it's perfect. Looks Good!

Gmot123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Billet Silver

That looks great, and if I were to go any other direction (not that I am itching to do so for the time being), it would likely be that size, 275/70R/18, and very possibly that tire, on the stock wheels. Terrific combination.

IIRC, I think it was you who used spacers for that tire size. Could one simply install the 275/70R/18 on the stock Sahara 18" wheels with nothing else done, no spacer/lift? Thanks.

sdebol

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Sahara
Do you need wheel spacers to avoid rubbing if you replace the stock JL Sahara tires with 275s or 285s?

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
That looks great, and if I were to go any other direction (not that I am itching to do so for the time being), it would likely be that size, 275/70R/18, and very possibly that tire, on the stock wheels. Terrific combination.

IIRC, I think it was you who used spacers for that tire size. Could one simply install the 275/70R/18 on the stock Sahara 18" wheels with nothing else done, no spacer/lift? Thanks.
I had a Daystar "Comfort Ride" leveling kit (3/4-inch in front and 1/2-inch in rear). https://www.quadratec.com/p/daystar/34-spacer-lift-kit-jeep-wrangler-jl

If you don't plant to off-road you may not need them. If you do, it will prevent rubbing at full articulation.

Do you need wheel spacers to avoid rubbing if you replace the stock JL Sahara tires with 275s or 285s?
No. See above

sdebol

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Sahara
Thanks!—sorry, I had misread that as referring only to not needing a lift.

Sponsored

JABCAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 GC High Altitude 4x4, '22 JLU on order
Occupation
College Professor

BXFXJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Sahara
The wheels are puny, recently I have always(x3) bought Rubicon take offs and put them on my Saharas.

Currently rolling with Rubicon wheels on my Sahara 4xe.

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

I'll be a voice of opposition here:

While I really loved the *look* of the black Sahara Altitude rims (it was one factor in me going with that trim level), I disliked that they were 18".

Finding tires in an 18" size is a bit trickier, will limit your choices, and can also cost more vs similar 17" tires. It was actually a deciding factor in me getting Rubicon take-offs - an easy way for me to get back down to 17" rims.

Cost/looks aside, I can also personally confirm that there is a pretty noticeable ride comfort difference between 18" rims with 32" tires and 17" rims with 33" tires - you have an extra ~inch of sidewall all the way around, and I definitely noticed it was much softer (even going from Dueler A/Ts to KO2s).

I don't know if the stock Sahara (non-Altitude) trim comes with 17s or 18s, but that's my $0.02. I was sad to give up my nice pretty black rims, but I'm really happy with the choice overall.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
This tire size/tire should be fine if replacing the Sahara springs/shocks with OEM Rubicon components?
Yes. 275/70R18 are 33.2 x 10.8 inches; Rubicon tires are 285/70R17, which is 32.7 x 11.2 inches --see below

(1) is 275/70R18; (2) is 285/70R17 --i.e., Rubicon

Jeep Wrangler JL Non-Rubi/Willys wheels and "curb" appeal 1641929005004
Sponsored