Sponsored

Non-dealer financing?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Highlander
Okay, so this may seem like a really silly question to some of you...

I’ve always bought cars either with cash or financed through the dealer when they’ve offered really good financing deals (0.9% APR or even 0% financing). From what I’m seeing, Jeep isn’t offering any insane deals on financing with them with new 2020 Wranglers (just ordered so probably take delivery in August or September).

So you do you go about getting financing from a bank or credit union? I understand going in and getting preapproved, but say I pick up on a Saturday and the bank is closed? How’s all that work? I won’t know the exact amount until the day of the sale, because I’ll have a trade, too.

Thanks for shedding any light on this process...
Sponsored

JurassicJeep12

First Name
Manny
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jpmotorpool.com
Vehicle(s)
1992 Jeep Wrangler (Leslie), 2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (Land Raider)
Occupation
Warehouse Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Well my way is maybe not the smartest, but it worked well for my situation.

Bought a home when it was dirt cheap. In a few years, it doubled in value. I had a newborn on the way and wanted a safer Wrangler (drive a YJ).

refinanced my home and used the extra money to pay off credit card debt, and have extra cash leftover to buy a JLUR outright.

My mortgage payment is still in the affordable range ($1300), and now I even have enough money leftover to save with every paycheck.
Don't have any car payments since it was added to the mortgage.

Another additional benefit I found out from owning the vehicle and not having a lien is.... I was double rear-ended by 2 other Jeep wranglers after owning the vehicle for only 4000 miles. Because I was not at fault, I was able to request for the other party's insurance to repair the damage, and pay me out for the cost of new OEM steel bumpers (had them as a precaution in case of an accident until AEV decides to release their bumpers) Now I'm using the money for quality aftermarket bumpers and should even have some leftover cash after they install it free of charge. I will also be going after the insurance for diminished value, and based on a rough online calculator and cross referencing with Kbb.com, I might be able to squeeze them for a $7000 check which I can use for whatever I want.

Bryce

First Name
Bryce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
The dealer we bought through was able to shop around for the "best" financing for us through many banks, and even on a Sunday. I forget who we ended up with... Wells Fargo maybe? The following day, I called my insurance agent with State Farm to get the Jeep added to my policy, and they offers to refinance the Jeep at a better rate, so I I jumped on it. Not a huge ammount of savings, but maybe $30/mo ($1800over 60mo though).

Durango

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited, 2019 Ram 1500 Quadcab 4X4, 2018 Challenger Hellcat, 2018 Charger SRT, 2018 American Dream, 2017 Ram 1500 Reg Cab 4X4, 2020 Redwood 3951MB, 2019 Mercedes 4WD Van
Go to the bank you're working with and they'll tell you how to do it on a weekend - different institutions have different protocols regarding that.
Dealers can secure financing for you from banks that are closed, based on your credit score and other factors - they have guidelines and agreements with lending institutions (banks, and...) that they go by and don't need to get the institution's approval during closed hours - but, most often the contract they have you sign notes that it's contingent upon the final approval by the bank...just don't let that scare you as if they value the relationship with the institution and value your business, they're not going to sign you up for a plan they can't get an institution to approve come Monday morning.
Sponsored