non 4XE lift springs on 4XE Rubicon

Bowhunter23

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JLUR-4xe, '85 CJ-7
I've searched around and haven't seen a direct answer. Other than loss of height, is there any concern running non-4XE lift springs on a 4XE Rubicon? I know the Mopar lift only gives 1" of lift on a Rubicon 4XE. Is the Mopar lift I see people putting on 4XEs the same as the 2" standard lift? Anyone else using other aftermarket lift springs on a 4XE? Looking for roughly a 1.5" spring lift (absolute max of 2" lift) on my 4XE Rubicon and all of the 4XE specific lift kits out there start at 2.5" and most state that you can see even more than that because they are designed with winch/bumper and heavy spare tire. I'm already running 1.5" spacers and with winch, bumper, tailgate reinforcement, and spare tire it's sitting at only 3/4" overall lift from the compression of the stock springs. Since I have all that stuff, I'd probably be around the 2.5" lift but that's still 1/2"-1" taller than I really want to be. Don't want to mess with front driveshaft, adjustable LCAs, etc, want to be able to still be able to put a kayak on the roofrack without needing a ladder, and I have small kids that need to climb up in the backseat. I really don't want to go to a 2.5-3" spacer (if those are even available) to net 1.5-2" and would rather find springs that give 1.5" lift. Would standard JLU Rubicon 2.5" springs net a 1.5" lift on a 4XE or would the spring rate be totally off and ride like crap?
Seems odd that nobody offers a 1.5" spring lift for 4XEs. Is the general consensus to just use spacers for anything less than 2.5". I think I read that 4XE Rubicon rear spring rates are something like 170 #/in. Aftermarket lift companies don't readily state their lift spring rates. I'm thinking as long as the lift springs are at least 170 #/in and just taller, the ride should stay similar to stock like spacers but with the added benefit of longer springs.
Sponsored

Last edited:

redracer

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 4xe Rubicon
I'm in the same boat to some degree. I bought a spacer lift for my '23 4xe rubicon but decided to return it and wait. My thought is to go with the MC 2.5" for the 4xe. The truth is, that the measurement for most all lifts is based around the stock height of the sport/sahara models, so they tend to net an inch less of lift for the Rubicon variants anyways. But, I'll watch and learn what others have to say on this.

OP
OP
Bowhunter23

Bowhunter23

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JLUR-4xe, '85 CJ-7
I'm in the same boat to some degree. I bought a spacer lift for my '23 4xe rubicon but decided to return it and wait. My thought is to go with the MC 2.5" for the 4xe. The truth is, that the measurement for most all lifts is based around the stock height of the sport/sahara models, so they tend to net an inch less of lift for the Rubicon variants anyways. But, I'll watch and learn what others have to say on this.
Just a heads up, MC states on their 2.5" 4XE specific lift that front driveshaft will not work. That's based on their flex I assume so depending on what shocks you are running or any items that increase droop, you may run into driveshaft issues. This is why I'm targeting trying to stay under 2". That and I picked up some Teraflex Sport fixed LCAs that are 5/8" longer than stock and was told anything over 2" would require adjustable LCAs. The cost really compounds anything over 2".

bjm00se

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 6sp ordered 11/3/21, picked up 8/30/22
ARB Old Man Emu (OME) Springs and shocks?

redracer

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 4xe Rubicon
Just a heads up, MC states on their 2.5" 4XE specific lift that front driveshaft will not work. That's based on their flex I assume so depending on what shocks you are running or any items that increase droop, you may run into driveshaft issues. This is why I'm targeting trying to stay under 2". That and I picked up some Teraflex Sport fixed LCAs that are 5/8" longer than stock and was told anything over 2" would require adjustable LCAs. The cost really compounds anything over 2".
Yes, I experienced this with my '18 JLUR. I put on the MC 2.5 lift and promptly damaged the front driveshaft seal on the first wheeling trip out with the stock shaft.

My idea for that is to not use the MC shocks. Their shocks are what gives their lift the huge droop and that's what requires the replacement front shaft. I'm thinking of staying stock shocks at first then going Bilstien 5100's eventually. Hopefully, the reduced extension lengths will keep the front shaft from getting damaged.

Sponsored

XX4XEXX

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
I will answer this exact and spot on. If you Install any coils not specifically rated and tested for 4xe your doing nothing! The ONLY springs to date truly rated for 4xe are @EVO MFG, MC has a rendition but are harsh as fuc unless you overland but again EVO.

We tried 3 sets at our shop and all fail3d to lift. Mopar the worst!

If your lifting and want a true lift get EVO or MC do not question it.

fcsallan

First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler JL 4Xe
Occupation
Manager of ones and zero's
I'll second the EVO, I used their 2.5" lift on my Sahara and net'd 3+ and it is great quality hardware.

OP
OP
Bowhunter23

Bowhunter23

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JLUR-4xe, '85 CJ-7
I checked into EVO and looks like their shortest spring for 4xe is 2.5”.
I want to be only in the 1.5-2” range.
in another thread someone mentioned Clayton. Looks like they have a 1.5” 4xe lift. Anyone have experience with Clayton on a 4xe?

Sponsored

OP
OP
Bowhunter23

Bowhunter23

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JLUR-4xe, '85 CJ-7

KarlN

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited 4XE
Occupation
Retired
Picture of my 4XE Clayton 2.5 lift for non-4XE kit. Maybe 1/4 less lift in back, Drives and Wheels great

Jeep20211225_104919.jpeg

Jeep20220206_113308.jpg

OP
OP
Bowhunter23

Bowhunter23

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JLUR-4xe, '85 CJ-7
Picture of my 4XE Clayton 2.5 lift for non-4XE kit. Maybe 1/4 less lift in back, Drives and Wheels great

Jeep Wrangler JL non 4XE lift springs on 4XE Rubicon Jeep20220206_113308

Jeep Wrangler JL non 4XE lift springs on 4XE Rubicon Jeep20220206_113308
How much actual measured lift did you get from that? Those are 35s right? Proportions look good.

KarlN

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited 4XE
Occupation
Retired
How much actual measured lift did you get from that? Those are 35s right? Proportions look good.
They are 35's Sorry but I didn't measure a before so I can't give you the actual lift spec. I can measure the current ground to fender well if you would like me to

OP
OP
Bowhunter23

Bowhunter23

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JLUR-4xe, '85 CJ-7
They are 35's Sorry but I didn't measure a before so I can't give you the actual lift spec. I can measure the current ground to fender well if you would like me to
Thanks. To take the tire out of the equation could you measure shock eye to shock eye?
my stock measurements are 20-3/8” front and 22-5/8” rear.
Thanks!
Sponsored