Sponsored

Nominal oil pressures on 2.0T

LuvHydro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUS Hella , 22 JLUSS Hydro
I know these 2.0s have a dual-stage oil pump. I feel both my 2.0s typically have ran 19/40. Checking the last couple days it's been running 19/49.

Is this of concern?

I'm wondering out loud if these two stage pumps are common, what the advantage is and what determines if it operates high or low.
Sponsored

shindleria235

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
My experience over the last 3 years, 17-21 & 47-52 are the typical ranges. It does not seem to like spending any time in the 20's & 30's, and I'll often adjust throttle to 'help' it pick which range it wants to be in. Sometimes it seems to be fine in low/mid 40's.
All that to say, I would not be worried by the numbers you're seeing, myself.

OP
OP
LuvHydro

LuvHydro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My experience over the last 3 years, 17-21 & 47-52 are the typical ranges. It does not seem to like spending any time in the 20's & 30's, and I'll often adjust throttle to 'help' it pick which range it wants to be in. Sometimes it seems to be fine in low/mid 40's.
All that to say, I would not be worried by the numbers you're seeing, myself.
Thanks.

jjvincent

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 2017 VW Alltrack, 2003 VW Eurovan
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Here's the best way of looking at it. you have and ECU and dash. Both work in conjunction. Jeep engineers set up warnings if the oil pressure is too low depending in the RPM and oil temp. I've been doing this for years in racing were when I program a dash, I do it where I have Boolean operations that will allow or not a warning to go off. Those things for oil pressure are generally, RPM, Oil Temp and oil Pressure. I know for a fact that Jeep has been doing this for years as I can take a tool (let's say a Snap On) and watch what it takes to set off the oil pressure light. With for Jeeps, becomes a check engine light too.

This is not old school. Thus they have got it figured out to warn you way in advance if too low it bad. For example, I can tell you that on a racetrack that running certain BMW engines for 117 seconds will end up grenading itself. Yet others will only last 75.

With companies having to CYA for many items, I suspect they are not going to be liberal on that item. If you want, look up the Hyindai/Kia Theta II engine and find out after years it took a whistle blower from Korea to let NHTSA know that they were covering up a problem. It had nothing to do with oil changes and the type oil used.

Embrace new tech and things like CAN-BUS. Everyone talke to each other in your car and thus warnings are set up when something is not right. This is especially true of the engine, ABS, Trans and Airbags. Maybe not as much as the FR door lock actuator has too much resistance.

OP
OP
LuvHydro

LuvHydro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I wanted to keep my original post short and to the point. My concern was the top number. Like I mentioned I thought it usually ran 40.

I had just changed the oil (Penz FS 5/30) and Mopar OEM filter and was concerned the filter might be defective causing the pressure to be higher than normal for my engine.

No worries.

Sponsored

diesel_dave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon 4xe
I wanted to keep my original post short and to the point. My concern was the top number. Like I mentioned I thought it usually ran 40.

I had just changed the oil (Penz FS 5/30) and Mopar OEM filter and was concerned the filter might be defective causing the pressure to be higher than normal for my engine.

No worries.
I run the same oil and filter and I see around 50 PSI in high pressure mode. Around 20 in low pressure mode in my 4xe. Crusing at 70 and I'm almost always in low pressure mode as long as the battery has charge. When the battery is empty and the engine is doing all the work, it usually goes up to 50 PSI.

OP
OP
LuvHydro

LuvHydro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I run the same oil and filter and I see around 50 PSI in high pressure mode. Around 20 in low pressure mode in my 4xe. Crusing at 70 and I'm almost always in low pressure mode as long as the battery has charge. When the battery is empty and the engine is doing all the work, it usually goes up to 50 PSI.
Thanks!

74bronco_nomore

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2013 JKU, 2005 Dodge Quad cab, 2005 Audi A4
I would be worried if the high pressure was only 40. Every 2.0 I know was a 47-52 range. The lower part of the range I witnessed when I had 4000 miles on the oil and oil life monitor had about 40%. Pressure ran about 2 psi higher the next day after an oil change and same conditions.

Coltron_Actual

First Name
Colton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 TJ, 2006 LJ, 2021 Rubicon
I'm usually 18-21, and then 48-49.
I'm assuming the high pressure "mode" is for when the engine is under higher boost, yes? I've noticed it's not RPM dependent, but solely on how hard the engine is pulling.

diesel_dave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon 4xe
I'm usually 18-21, and then 48-49.
I'm assuming the high pressure "mode" is for when the engine is under higher boost, yes? I've noticed it's not RPM dependent, but solely on how hard the engine is pulling.
Yes, it does appear to be "load" based and not RPM based.
Sponsored