Sponsored

Noisy clutch and transmission... normal? Video recording included.

unsavory

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR 2.0T Auto, 2019 JLUR V6 Manual (sold)
My manual transmission and clutch has always been very noisy, particularly with the windows down.

The clutch makes a clanking noise when it disengages, and again when it engages.

And the transmission is not smooth from 1st to 2nd, and 2nd to 3rd. 3rd to 4th and onward are very smooth.

Sorry for the view, I didn't have anywhere to put my phone so I could shift.

Does everyone's make this much noise with the windows down? It sounds like the transmission is going to fall out of the vehicle at low speed shifting. That clanking noise is the clutch engaging and disengaging. It's not the shifter. Although the shifter does tend to grind a bit between 1st and 2nd.
Sponsored

MaineBumpkin

First Name
Henri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLU, 2021 RAM 1500
Build Thread
Link
No clue what the noise is but no, my 2021 6sp makes no such noise.

FJL40

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 2dr 6spd
Mine does the same 1st to 2nd, 2nd to 3rd. When i rev it to 4k on each shift, no noise. Seems like at low speed low rpm its more obvious.

def1ance

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
I have a similar experience with my 2021 Rubicon. Have you taken it to the dealer to ask them about it?

AlgUSF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUS, 2014 Tundra, 2013 Odyssey, 2002 Civic
Mine is a bit noisy also, but then my last MT truck was as well. My MT cars have been super quiet. It may have something to do with the fact that it is a "truck transmission". There is a note in the Owners Manual that states, "A certain amount of noise from the transmission is normal". My Chevy S-10 always similar sound to my Jeep and the transmission lasted 147K until I totaled the truck. I had no doubt that that transmission would have made it to 200-250K.

Like another poster said, take it to the dealership for your next oil change and add that to the Service Order. If they say it's "normal" ask to see another Jeep with a 6MT and see if it makes similar noises.

Sponsored

OP
OP
unsavory

unsavory

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have a similar experience with my 2021 Rubicon. Have you taken it to the dealer to ask them about it?
Yes, I did. They told me if it was "just noise" then it's fine.

sinmike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Unlimited Sport
Did the issue ever got fixed? If yes, how? I just bought a new one and have almost the same noise issues. Sometimes it feels like a loose transmission mount or the clutch not engaging properly. However the noise comes from 3 different locations.
Pressing the clutch: left side of the transmission.
Shifting to the next gear: center of the transmission.
Releasing the clutch: right side of the transmission.
I have an appointment at the dealer next week, but like to have as much information as possible on hand. Thanks.

OP
OP
unsavory

unsavory

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nope. Again, they told me it is "normal". Hope you can get a better diagnosis and cure.

Slowregal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'01 TJ 2.5 5spd on 31s / '22 JLUR 3.6/Manual
This is my 6th manual transmission vehicule and each one of them have been much quieter. The shifter in the JL is a little clunky when going into gear and yes it can be noisy especially from 1st to 2nd. I've driven two different JLs and they are the same. You can really hear the noises from the clutch/shift linkage when at a drive-thru with windows down. Your video sounds normal to me.

Try 4L with windows down and feel the 1-2-3 gears, you'll see it's really not that bad in 2h lol

JeepinPete

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mojito JLUR, '95 Land Cruiser
Mine will make that noise if I press the clutch when the drive train is under load, which is what it sounds like you are doing at the end of your "video". Most of the time I can drive it without making the clank so it might be worthwhile to play around with your shifting technique.

Pete

Sponsored

Merc

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 door 6mt Willys; 2013 Subaru Crosstrek
Normal. I installed a muffler delete, that’ll help block out that noise.;)

sinmike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Unlimited Sport
Quick update. I took the JLU to the dealer 2 weeks ago and was told that I need to leave it for 2-3 days, but the transmission guy was going on vacation the following day. I rescheduled my appointment, but was able to take the transmission guy on a test drive. He confirmed the noise and said it might has something to do with the vacuum in the clutch. Anyhow, I dropped it back off today and will hopefully have an answer in 3 days.

OP
OP
unsavory

unsavory

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Quick update. I took the JLU to the dealer 2 weeks ago and was told that I need to leave it for 2-3 days, but the transmission guy was going on vacation the following day. I rescheduled my appointment, but was able to take the transmission guy on a test drive. He confirmed the noise and said it might has something to do with the vacuum in the clutch. Anyhow, I dropped it back off today and will hopefully have an answer in 3 days.
Would be interested to hear what you find out.

sinmike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Unlimited Sport
Would be interested to hear what you find out.
I just picked up my JLU from the dealer service dept.. They replaced the clutch slave cylinder, but that did not take care of the noise. Well, I got a new slave cylinder for no apparent reason and a free rental for 10 days. The saga continues.... I will schedule a new appointment.

Punknhed

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Punkin Rubi XR
I agree w others this one is definitely noisier then other manuals, but until it goes clunk and breaks gonna keep driving lol
Sponsored