Noise when turning right at speed...

grostage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.0L ecodiesel
Occupation
Millwright/Welder
hi! new to the forum just wanted to see if i can get any feedback for an issue im having...my jeep has about 5000km on it and ive noticed that when im driving and turning slight right like around a corner i get a weird rubbing sound coming from the front end, at first i thought maybe it was the inner fender liner catching wind and vibrating or shaking because upon inspection ive noticed its not fastened very well but now im starting to think it something mechanical like ABS or something? its weird its not affecting the drivability of the jeep but definately sounds like ABS or TCS or something like that.. jeep hasnt had any other issues.
Sponsored

redsyphon

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Occupation
IT Project Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Is it a rotational rhythmic (i.e. clicking, etc.), or a metal rubbing/grinding sound?

If it's rotational and rhythmic with the wheel speed, then it may be ball joints. Easy for the dealership to diagnose and fix.

My Sport had that issue around 7500 miles.

If it's rubbing or grinding, then look for wear/binding points. Find an empty lot and drive in circles with a friend outside to pinpoint.

At the least, take a video for the dealership. That gets you out of any "we can't reproduce" arguments.

OP
OP
grostage

grostage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Millwright/Welder
it sounds more like a flutter like ABS pump but the jeep isnt losing traction or sliding its really weird, not a grinding or metallic, clicking. i was gonna check the ball joints as i hear lots are undertorqued but seems like it just started doing this recently...

OP
OP
grostage

grostage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Millwright/Welder
almost reminds me of my JK before i changed the front driveshaft to a smaller diameter one that wouldnt contact the crossmember when id go over big bumps but less metallic sounding if that makes any sense....

redsyphon

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Occupation
IT Project Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Sounds like you're aware of the usual culprits then. Wish I knew more, but will follow to see how it progresses.

Sponsored

OP
OP
grostage

grostage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Millwright/Welder
Turns out its the FAD...after weeks of frustrations and the dealer initially telling me its because i have a diesel engine...i found the the STAR case S2003000001 and presented to them explaining the problem to a tee, seems were making some headway now i have to wait for the parts to be produced... intermediate shaft kit 68400375AA is the P/N incase anyone else is having the same issues.

MojitoJLUR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Mojito
Turns out its the FAD...after weeks of frustrations and the dealer initially telling me its because i have a diesel engine...i found the the STAR case S2003000001 and presented to them explaining the problem to a tee, seems were making some headway now i have to wait for the parts to be produced... intermediate shaft kit 68400375AA is the P/N incase anyone else is having the same issues.
I'm about to be going through this. My issue is that there is no dealer near me that can get it in anytime soon. Do you happen to know if there is a workaround to make it drivable until it's fixed by any chance? I'm wondering if I can take the collar off that connects the two shafts.

OP
OP
grostage

grostage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Millwright/Welder
Yeah you probably could remove the collar which itself I don’t think is the problem but a plastic washer or bushing that’s the smoking gun, next time you hear the noise throw it in 4x4 high as quick as you can if the noise goes away you’ll know.

MojitoJLUR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Mojito
Yeah you probably could remove the collar which itself I don’t think is the problem but a plastic washer or bushing that’s the smoking gun, next time you hear the noise throw it in 4x4 high as quick as you can if the noise goes away you’ll know.
Yup, it's it. I tried that last night and it immediately went away.

I have a guy that is going to be doing my seals and ball joints, so I think I'm going to have him replace the two shafts while it's open. I am worried about trying to get it replaced under warranty since I have 4.88s put in it.

OP
OP
grostage

grostage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Millwright/Welder
Yeah a guy could just do away with it all together would be your best bet with a one piece rcv and delete the fad. Pain in the ass I know my dealer told me the noise was because I had a diesel…
Sponsored