Noise in rear when hitting a bump

gfrodge

First Name
GARY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
I just started hearing a clanking noise in the rear of my jeep whenever I hit a bump in the road. Stereo is turned off. Checked the jack it is secure. i can't seemed to find it. Has anyone else had this problem yet? If so, have you found out what is causing it and how did you fix it? Sounds like something is loose
Sponsored

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
Door completely shut and spare secured?

plex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Weekend keyboard mechanic and beer drinker
Vehicle Showcase
I just started hearing a clanking noise in the rear of my jeep whenever I hit a bump in the road. Stereo is turned off. Checked the jack it is secure. i can't seemed to find it. Has anyone else had this problem yet? If so, have you found out what is causing it and how did you fix it? Sounds like something is loose
Do you have new tires, lifts, shocks? It can be one of the followings:

(1) You said jack is secure, you can try to loose jack (turn nuts counterclockwise) and tighten it again so it will fit against the metal tip.
(2) Anything in the cargo tub.
(3) muffler hanger, keep in mind mufflers are supposed to be loose hanging so they won't resonate.
(4) Hitch mount accessories: like a hitch ball or something, those are usually loose by purpose.
(5) Dana 44 LSD: you have to see dealer but I suspect it is the case because if it is, you will have it more often than just hit a bump.
(6) Shock mounts or control arm bolts: you can check if they are loose, shocks are supposed to be 75/80 ft-lbs, and control arms are 130 ft-lbs. Again very unlikely because your vehicle will track like a wreck if these are loose.
(7) Sway bar link mounts: do you have a lift but with old sway bar links?

OP
OP

gfrodge

First Name
GARY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Do you have new tires, lifts, shocks? It can be one of the followings:

(1) You said jack is secure, you can try to loose jack (turn nuts counterclockwise) and tighten it again so it will fit against the metal tip.
(2) Anything in the cargo tub.
(3) muffler hanger, keep in mind mufflers are supposed to be loose hanging so they won't resonate.
(4) Hitch mount accessories: like a hitch ball or something, those are usually loose by purpose.
(5) Dana 44 LSD: you have to see dealer but I suspect it is the case because if it is, you will have it more often than just hit a bump.
(6) Shock mounts or control arm bolts: you can check if they are loose, shocks are supposed to be 75/80 ft-lbs, and control arms are 130 ft-lbs. Again very unlikely because your vehicle will track like a wreck if these are loose.
(7) Sway bar link mounts: do you have a lift but with old sway bar links?
1 did that
2 nothing in the tub
3 checked the muffler and hangars they seem fine
4 nothing in the hitch
5 It doesn't sound like coming from there. Sounds more like something loose
6 checked the shocks and control arms seem tight
7 No lift. Jeep only has 10K miles on it

It just sounds like something is loose, Like a bolt or bracket. But I can't seem to find anything loose

plex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
1 did that
2 nothing in the tub
3 checked the muffler and hangars they seem fine
4 nothing in the hitch
5 It doesn't sound like coming from there. Sounds more like something loose
6 checked the shocks and control arms seem tight
7 No lift. Jeep only has 10K miles on it

It just sounds like something is loose, Like a bolt or bracket. But I can't seem to find anything loose
Then maybe it is just tire bump around when it is getting rough...do you have that noise in the front?

Sponsored

OP
OP

gfrodge

First Name
GARY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Then maybe it is just tire bump around when it is getting rough...do you have that noise in the front?
Nope, just in the back. I can be driving 5 mph and it does it when I hit a bump in the road

plex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Nope, just in the back. I can be driving 5 mph and it does it when I hit a bump in the road
Do you feel it is come inside the cabin or from underbody?

OP
OP

gfrodge

First Name
GARY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Do you feel it is come inside the cabin or from underbody?
It sounds more like inside. I am going to take the Bass cover off tonight and see if it has came loose. The tailgate seems like it is solid. I even tried the Black tape trick on the latch. Didn't stop it. Of course it could be underneath and just vibrating through the floor

plex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
It sounds more like inside. I am going to take the Bass cover off tonight and see if it has came loose. The tailgate seems like it is solid. I even tried the Black tape trick on the latch. Didn't stop it. Of course it could be underneath and just vibrating through the floor
Are your rear seats bolt on the floor securely?

OP
OP

gfrodge

First Name
GARY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Are your rear seats bolt on the floor securely?
I haven't checked those yet, But it sounds like it is more towards the back gate area or bumper area

Sponsored

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
May be a dumb question, but if you've had the seats down and back up, is the seat belt rattling around against anything? That would make sense why it sounds like it's inside, and also why you hear it a low speeds. IDK, just brainstorming.

ATX_Runner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
You need to have someone drive your Jeep (heresy, I know) around the block or over a few speed bumps while you are in the very far back so you can localize the issue.

OP
OP

gfrodge

First Name
GARY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
May be a dumb question, but if you've had the seats down and back up, is the seat belt rattling around against anything? That would make sense why it sounds like it's inside, and also why you hear it a low speeds. IDK, just brainstorming.
No question is a dumb question LOL... It isn't the seat belts though. they aren't touching anything except air.

GRAK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubi, Corvette
Clubs

F5A96045-523C-4A23-90E1-F6161AFD581A.gif

Very interested in this thread, good luck! (having similar issue)

OP
OP

gfrodge

First Name
GARY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
You need to have someone drive your Jeep (heresy, I know) around the block or over a few speed bumps while you are in the very far back so you can localize the issue.
Yep that is my next option after I check my bass this evening
Sponsored