Sponsored

no winch solo - the DeathWish™ poll

how do you roll off-road?

• solo, no winch - I have a DeathWIsh™

Votes: 39 17.4%
  • solo, with a winch - I'm anti-social but not crazy

Votes: 93 41.5%
  • in a group, no winch - I depend on the kindness of friends and/or beer bribes

Votes: 16 7.1%
  • in a group, with a winch - I'm self-contained, self-actualized, and have friends

Votes: 50 22.3%
  • off-road? You mean like going over curbs?

Votes: 15 6.7%
  • solo, no winch but I am very very very careful

Votes: 34 15.2%

• Total voters

nostatic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JL Sport S PDN, '18 R1200GS Rallye
Occupation
chief bottle washer
Some discussion on different threads and a lot of navel-gazing on how to off-road safely leads me to query the forum population. There seems to be two points of conventional wisdom:

1. never off-road alone
2. have a winch and know how to use it

#2 seems to have more caveats - ok to be winchless if you're in a group and someone has a winch.

In my case, the wife and I do day trips, some of them off-road, and we travel by ourselves. So far when going in the dirt I've erred strongly on the side of caution - if a section looks sketchy and I'm not confident, I don't do it. I don't have a winch for a couple of reasons, but do have shovel, boards, and a jack (and know how to dig out), along with snatch strap if I need a pull or someone else does.

And so, the DeathWish™ poll
Sponsored

OP
OP
nostatic

nostatic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
chief bottle washer
For the trails we run, a winch isn't going to save you from what normally is a serious problem...extreme mechanical damage. For that reason, it's not a great idea to go alone, as you'll need a ride back to the tow rig, generally speaking, since some of our favorite trails are 17 miles or more through the desert just to get to the tow rig and back to town to buy/get parts and then ferry them over very difficult terrain just to get to the broken rig.

Now all that said, Tracy Jordan and his gf at the time used to go out wheeling by themselves on trails like Asylum (probably one of the toughest trails in the country when it was open)...and he was/is without a doubt the best technical rockcrawler I've ever seen in person. He attributed a lot of his talent with being alone and having to 'figure it out'....his gf was one of the best spotters I've ever seen, also probably b/c of that aspect.

As I've gotten older, a lot of our core wheeling friends have either scaled back significantly, moved, dropped out of wheeling completely or gone so hard core, my bank account can't keep up unless it was my only hobby....which is why we now have 2 buggies and are in the process of building up 2 full bodied trail rigs. That way, it may just be me and the wife, but we'll have 2 capable vehicles that should allow us to get off the trail if something bad breaks.
There is a whole discussion about what types of off-roading people do - sand, rocks, mud, snow, marmots...

My wife is new to off-roading so she'll be learning on-the-fly (eventually she'll be able to spot). My experience was many years back with lightweight RWD (dune buggy, baja bug) so I'm learning Wrangler capabilities on-the-fly but at least I understand picking a line and what high siding is :LOL:

Have BTDT with the hobby-keeping-up challenge. Some years back I got into track days then club racing and I always was on a budget (eg drove to the track) and was one of those that "dropped out" after my $11K transmission rebuild at the end of the '07 season. The slippery slope is steep with both track cars and jeeps...

Bearded_Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! Rubicon
Common sense and being cautious trumps having a winch. I've lost count how many times I've come across people stuck because they didn't have either.

Equitasforall

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4xe
Occupation
I could tell you, but then....
I wish there was a category for solo, no winch, but careful and smart enough not to take the thing some place it won’t come back from.

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I’m anti-social but not crazy.

I always wheeled with someone else in California. There are so many people there that every time I asked online if anyone wanted to go wheeling, always found someone willing. It was a great way to meet fellow Jeepers.

That’s not the case here in WA. I live in a town of 89,000 people; I am more likely to find Sasquatch than someone to go wheeling with.

I have more control over getting a winch, though. It’s on my list of next mods.

OP
OP
nostatic

nostatic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
chief bottle washer
I wish there was a category for solo, no winch, but careful and smart enough not to take the thing some place it won’t come back from.
I'd like to think that's my approach but I've been wrong about some things before. Just ask my ex-wives...

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
Yep, I’m gonna abstain from this vote because none really fits me.

I take trails for pusses. I just want to head down a nice “simple” trail to get me to a hiking trailhead For either a hike or photos or both. That’s about it. The type of trails that I am talking about won’t let a sedan down them bit they likely would let a lifted Subaru (not kidding).

that said, many day hikes require getting to the trailhead early (like 4am early) For some of the best imagery (sunrise). I can easily see that in the dark with my trail lights that I could misjudge something and get into a spot that might be troublesome. My traction boards and a shovel should solve much of that...... but..... maybe not. that’s why I am still debating a winch....

JEEPIDON

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon, 2021 Gladiator Rubicon, 2013 Ram2500
Occupation
Retired - Business Consultant
I’m anti-social but not crazy.

I always wheeled with someone else in California. There are so many people there that every time I asked online if anyone wanted to go wheeling, always found someone willing. It was a great way to meet fellow Jeepers.

That’s not the case here in WA. I live in a town of 89,000 people; I am more likely to find Sasquatch than someone to go wheeling with.

I have more control over getting a winch, though. It’s on my list of next mods.
If you spot sasquatch and be nice to him....you won't need a winch!!:)

Sponsored

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Curious, if you prefer to go solo or find yourself doing so often, why not get a winch? I count myself in that category but I have a winch BECAUSE I’m often solo and would feel pretty stupid if I found myself unable to get out of something that a winch would get me out of. I’m cautious and avoid situations like that, but I expand my comfort zone because I have that insurance “just in case” something doesn’t go as planned.

OP
OP
nostatic

nostatic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
chief bottle washer
Curious, if you prefer to go solo or find yourself doing so often, why not get a winch? I count myself in that category but I have a winch BECAUSE I’m often solo and would feel pretty stupid if I found myself unable to get out of something that a winch would get me out of. I’m cautious and avoid situations like that, but I expand my comfort zone because I have that insurance “just in case” something doesn’t go as planned.
As for why no winch, a couple of reasons. I'm leasing and not sure I'll end up buying at the end so minimizing mods isn't a bad idea. Not crazy about adding weight over the nose, but if I do end up going with a winch I'd use the Rock Hard aluminum bumper so that would help a lot. Other aspect is that ends up being about a $2K mod and I think that swapping to some better tires probably is a better first step. My only real "mods" so far are safety/recovery - everything else is straight from the factory.

I likely will end up going that route, just trying to rationalize not immediately doing it :LOL:

Last edited:

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR in Punk'n Orange
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Turn Wrenches/ Write code
Always with a winch and at least one other person. I'm mostly anti-social, but I've got a few close friends who are almost always down to wheel. IF you're looking for people to wheel with, prioritize off road clubs over "Jeep clubs". The former actually wheel, more often than not the latter just like to do meet ups and parades and stuff....

For the $400 a cheap Smittybilt costs....it doesn't make a lot of sense not to have a winch anymore, UNLESS your reasoning is the added weight.
This.
I will never understand the amount of people I see with $2k worth of rims, but " a winch is expensive". OF course, they're usually the ones on $500 worth of tires, with a $500 lift, complaining about the ride/ road manners of their Jeep... so...
I get it. We're all on a budget. But I build smart. I prioritize things that are going to protect my rig, or get me farther down the trail.

Jeepileptic

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon, 2016 Fisher-Price Jeep Frozen Edition
Sorry gents, I’m of the old school mentality that you don’t have an off-road machine without a winch.

That being said, they are a waste of money running the trails in NC. :LOL:

Edit: And yes, I wasted the money. :rock:

Oldbear

First Name
Dwayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel; 20 JL Sport S 2 door
Ive got an old ‘portable‘ winch i carry when headed out. Nothing fancy, but i hooked it to the trailer hitch and hau Led out my TJ the one time i needed to. Also used it a couple times to clear a fallen tree. I’m not into extreme off road but iI’m f i see a track i want to explore i want to be able to get down it and back. Hence a jeep with limited slip. Also carry GI entrenching tool and long snatch strap ‘cause you never know. Ive drug a couple folks out of mud holes over the years.
Sponsored