Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Sparky
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Wellllllll, it didn't. Yard work took longer than expected and the wife was out with the Jeep and got home in the rain. I was spent from the yard work so I decided it would be better to re-group and start attacking Tuesday night after work. We got out the instructions and scratched our heads then watched the install video. Yeah we will be following the video Tuesday.
šŸ¤™ let us know how it turns out, Iā€™m sure itā€™ll be great. That video is great, I was never confused as to what I was looking at, or hesitant in any way.

My two-cents here, but if you can stand wearing long sleeves at least until the holes are drilled and the fiberglass is cleaned up you might save yourself some itch. It was hot here and I wasnā€™t thinking about it much. I wore short sleeves and shorts and got covered in the stuff.
Sponsored

Valpo Jeep

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Mas Ghibli, 18 JLU, 05 Gulfstream RV
Because of the fiberglass my plan is to have the vac running while drilling to attempt to control the "dust"

But I hear ya about long sleeves.

ZBRA

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SJ Cherokee, SJ Gladiator, JKU, & JL
Really wish they would quit ignoring the 2-door market. I installed the backbone system in my JKU and love it. Now I want kit for my 2dr JL, but nope. Not available.

OP
OP
Jeepeto

Jeepeto

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Sparky
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Really wish they would quit ignoring the 2-door market. I installed the backbone system in my JKU and love it. Now I want kit for my 2dr JL, but nope. Not available.
I loved my two door, and I respect the hell out of ā€˜em, but the reality is, they get beat hard in sales numbers. Hard to put in the R&D for 10% of the market, compounded by the fact that it would be difficult to make something usable for RTTs as the freedom tops are half of the top, and you can understand why it doesnā€™t exist. Tough pill, I know, but this change was brought by the customers.

Valpo Jeep

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
We started the install last night and so far all is good. We were watching the video as we went and following along. We will finish tonight after work.

I am doing the work in shorts and a short sleeve and not having problems with the fiberglass dust. I even skipped safeties and a respirator.

We are second owner on the Jeep and will quite possibly be the first to take the roof off. Bolts and Jeep tools are pristine with no marred spots on them at all.

Sponsored

Valpo Jeep

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

ZBRA

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SJ Cherokee, SJ Gladiator, JKU, & JL
OP
OP
Jeepeto

Jeepeto

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Sparky
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

We started the install last night and so far all is good. We were watching the video as we went and following along. We will finish tonight after work.

I am doing the work in shorts and a short sleeve and not having problems with the fiberglass dust. I even skipped safeties and a respirator.

We are second owner on the Jeep and will quite possibly be the first to take the roof off. Bolts and Jeep tools are pristine with no marred spots on them at all.
Sweet! Glad itā€™s all going well so far. Sounds like you got a nice second hand rig. Whatā€™s the plan for your backbone? You putting a platform up there?

Valpo Jeep

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
For now we will be putting 2 kayaks up there with the Thule Hullavator system. Here is the Thule on our old Patriot. If you are not familiar with them they are a lift system. Load the kayak while down on the side then lift them up. The gas arms provide 40 lbs of lift. Even the Patriot was too tall for my 5 foot wife to help load kayaks to the roof without these.
Jeep Wrangler JL No turning back now! Drilled hardtop to install Rhino Rack Backbone system for Go Fast Camper thule

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jeepeto

Jeepeto

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Sparky
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

For now we will be putting 2 kayaks up there with the Thule Hullavator system. Here is the Thule on our old Patriot. If you are not familiar with them they are a lift system. Load the kayak while down on the side then lift them up. The gas arms provide 40 lbs of lift. Even the Patriot was too tall for my 5 foot wife to help load kayaks to the roof without these.
Jeep Wrangler JL No turning back now! Drilled hardtop to install Rhino Rack Backbone system for Go Fast Camper thule

Sweet setup there šŸ¤™ thatā€™s slick

Last edited:

Sponsored

calemasters

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited, & Escalade
Occupation
Retired Mechanical Engineer
You should get this book if you havenā€™t alreadyā€¦

BFFF79E9-28D6-401E-A9EC-D27B34372742.jpeg
We used that book last week when we were in Moab. We did Shaver Trail, and Fins and Things. Also we used Charles Wells book for Black Bear Pass and Imogene Pass in Colorado.