Sponsored

Oncorhynchus

First Name
Moishe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara Sting Gray 3.6L
Man that kit is super nice, everything laid out with stop blocks and no stupid paper template or anything. Just put the stop blocks in place and you know you’re good to go. I wasn’t sweating it at all. The worst part was dealing with itchy fiberglass.
Yep, Rhino Rack did a nice job with the instructions and parts template. Far superior to the mobile phone photos embedded inside a Microsoft Word file that are typical of so many aftermarket parts theses days. Teraflex is about company that does really excellent user instructions.
Sponsored

Steve.Manny2025

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
The next chapter in Jeepeto III has begun, and we’re moving to the dark side (overlanding). I just don’t have enough good wheeling within weekend range from my location (DFW, TX) to justify keeping Jeepeto strictly a wheeler.

The plan going forward is to start exploring within a 5 hour radius of home on the weekends. I will of course still wheel when the opportunity presents itself. I’m just at a point where I’ve pushed my luck enough on big trails and I’m no longer moving up the trail list. I find myself just running the same 5-6 trails in moab every visit, usually with someone new, and it’s starting to feel like I’m a volunteer trail guide. I want to explore more of Moab, some of the lesser trails that I haven’t seen, and regain that magic I felt the first visit there.

Drilled 12 holes in the hard top this morning to install the Rhino Rack Backbone system in preparation for the Go Fast Camper Platform RTT. I plan on directly copying @justinbmcbride and using the GP Factor JLU Feet to mount the tent directly to the Rhino Rack Backbone without any rack. This is the cleanest install I’ve seen for a RTT and I’m hoping it works as well on my rig 🤞

Photos from this morning

5DBA3D02-DFD2-4CB5-90A7-33F46ACB6F85.jpeg
058E9EA4-ADD8-47B3-BD45-B7D4692265F2.jpeg
8873E323-907F-4A27-A81A-4FEA329DEA5E.jpeg

Screen shots from @justinbmcbride video on YouTube showing the planned mounting solution. Ignore the yellow arrow.

41D7EFDE-0C6D-47A0-8157-8064F28E86DF.jpeg
559B473A-AF76-436B-A84A-F85479CF140F.jpeg

I’m stoked for the GFC tent to arrive, and I’m excited to start the next chapter. Feel free to crucify me in the comments below 🤣
You're not worried about those brackets breaking and damaging your hardtop?

OP
OP
Jeepeto

Jeepeto

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Sparky
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Yep, Rhino Rack did a nice job with the instructions and parts template. Far superior to the mobile phone photos embedded inside a Microsoft Word file that are typical of so many aftermarket parts theses days. Teraflex is about company that does really excellent user instructions.
i didn’t even open the instruction manual 🤣

Pulled out the shop tv, fired up their YouTube install video, and carried the remote with me the whole time. Monkey see, monkey do. The video was great, and even included instructions to have myself a beer. It was a little early, but I’m not gonna argue and screw up the process 🍻

OP
OP
Jeepeto

Jeepeto

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Sparky
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

You're not worried about those brackets breaking and damaging your hardtop?
I hope not, they’re the brackets designed to hold cross bars for the Ali-cab cross bars and I’m adding an extra set (compared to @justinbmcbride, I’ll be using 6 instead of 4) to the tent just because it’s available. Time will tell I suppose, but I’m confident that it’ll work. It’s a small bracket with very little leverage working against it. I’m more worried about the 6 little #10 (guessing here, but they’re small) bolts holding the brackets to the Rhino Rack, but it seems to be working for everyone so I’m gonna roll with it. If I have a failure I’ll be sure to share

Steve.Manny2025

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I hope not, they’re the brackets designed to hold cross bars for the Ali-cab cross bars and I’m adding an extra set (compared to @justinbmcbride, I’ll be using 6 instead of 4) to the tent just because it’s available. Time will tell I suppose, but I’m confident that it’ll work. It’s a small bracket with very little leverage working against it. I’m more worried about the 6 little #10 (guessing here, but they’re small) bolts holding the brackets to the Rhino Rack, but it seems to be working for everyone so I’m gonna roll with it. If I have a failure I’ll be sure to share
Can you share a link to the brackets? I'm thinking of going with the back bone system very soon! I'm just trying to figure out if I wanna go with the platform or cross bars...or those brackets even.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Jeepeto

Jeepeto

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Sparky
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Can you share a link to the brackets? I'm thinking of going with the back bone system very soon! I'm just trying to figure out if I wanna go with the platform or cross bars...or those brackets even.
manufacturers website
https://www.gp-factor.com/shop/gp-alucab-jlu-footpack

Ended up finding them in stock here
https://ok4wd.com/rhino-jlu-load-ba...6651&indexName=magento2_prod_default_products

It should be noted this would only work with the Go Fast Campers Platform RTT as far as I know. The mounts just happen to line up well enough to make it work.

Steve.Manny2025

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR

Oncorhynchus

First Name
Moishe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara Sting Gray 3.6L
I remember thinking the same thing about those bolts. IIRC they are either M5 or M6 on the Rhino Rack pads but M8 on the Yakima landing pads on our other vehicle. I felt the bolts that came from Rhino Rack we’re also a little short and we’re not grabbing enough threads so I replaced them with slightly longer ones.

OP
OP
Jeepeto

Jeepeto

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Sparky
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

I remember thinking the same thing about those bolts. IIRC they are either M5 or M6 on the Rhino Rack pads but M8 on the Yakima landing pads on our other vehicle. I felt the bolts that came from Rhino Rack we’re also a little short and we’re not grabbing enough threads so I replaced them with slightly longer ones.
TBH, I don’t mind having a mechanical fuse at that contact point, and I’ve got 6 of them up there, hopefully they are never an issue, but I’d rather have a bolt fail than pass the stresses on somewhere else. Hopefully it’s never an issue, but at least I know what to keep an eye on. I really don’t anticipate any issues. It’s a light tent, and comes in at half of the rhino rack weight limit.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Jeepeto

Jeepeto

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Sparky
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Yeah I will be there today as well. Plan for today is to install the back bone so we can haul kayaks. It’s a wee bit unsettling that I am about to drill holes in a perfectly good hard top but the damned drip rail isn’t strong enough to carry 2 kayaks with the Thule Hullavator system.
I guess I missed a bunch of notifications. I just saw this

How’d it go?

rohdawg

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLUR Anvil / 2021 JLUR Hydro Blue
Occupation
Merchant Marine
For all the doom and gloom you hear from people about RTTs and racks failing, you’d think it happens all the time.
I personally know of exactly one incident (I’m sure there’s more) That was a crossbar/home brew/RTT mashup that was destined to fail. The guy knew he was taking a chance with it, but did as he saw fit.
Guy goes out and got a little too tippy, the gutters on the hardtop said “I’m done now.” and that was that.
Other than that, I see and hear more about people enjoying the hell out of their setups. I’m sure yours is going to perform beautifully.

OP
OP
Jeepeto

Jeepeto

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Sparky
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

For all the doom and gloom you hear from people about RTTs and racks failing, you’d think it happens all the time.
I personally know of exactly one incident (I’m sure there’s more) That was a crossbar/home brew/RTT mashup that was destined to fail. The guy knew he was taking a chance with it, but did as he saw fit.
Guy goes out and got a little too tippy, the gutters on the hardtop said “I’m done now.” and that was that.
Other than that, I see and hear more about people enjoying the hell out of their setups. I’m sure yours is going to perform beautifully.
This is the kind of positivity I’m here for 😁

I’m stoked, I can not wait for the RTT to show up. I don’t plan on having any issues with the setup. I’m sure it’ll be fine, and even if it isn’t perfect I don’t think it’ll be catastrophic. Time will tell, but right now I’m more focused on trip planning and impatiently waiting for a shipping notification 😄

Valpo Jeep

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Mas Ghibli, 18 JLU, 05 Gulfstream RV
I guess I missed a bunch of notifications. I just saw this

How’d it go?

Wellllllll, it didn't. Yard work took longer than expected and the wife was out with the Jeep and got home in the rain. I was spent from the yard work so I decided it would be better to re-group and start attacking Tuesday night after work. We got out the instructions and scratched our heads then watched the install video. Yeah we will be following the video Tuesday.
Sponsored