Chris1331

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep rubicon
Hi all,
Just replaced my 2017rubicon tires, the replacement has tpms sensor, but my sensor gauge was not reading any tire pressure and my check engine light is on. What should I do? Thanks.
Sponsored

OlderSpice

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLU Sport
Pretty sure it's a $40 for labor visit to the dealer to link your new sensors to your vehicle. There might be a cheaper or at home option that I'm not aware of

Stuckinthesand

First Name
CJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S
Check engine and TPMS are completely separate.
IF the new wheels truly have TPMS they are auto relearn. You drive the Jeep and the new pressures register.
TPMS are not auto relearn. I just had 35’s put on mine and the shop had to go to each wheel and program the TPMS.

UNC Rubicon

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Billet Silver JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
TPMS are not auto relearn. I just had 35’s put on mine and the shop had to go to each wheel and program the TPMS.
No one had to program my TPMS when I swapped mine. I put them in, drove for several miles and they registered without issue.

Sponsored

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon, 17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Sorry but you are incorrect. On Jeep they are absolutely auto relearn. Mount the correct TPMS and go drive.

Stuckinthesand

First Name
CJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S
Sorry but you are incorrect. On Jeep they are absolutely auto relearn. Mount the correct TPMS and go drive.
Yeah I was wrong. Not sure why they had to program mine when I got new wheels and tires. I left the factory ones in my original wheels.

Unkle Fester

First Name
Kendall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon
TPMS automatically resets, so you can rotate tires without reprogramming. Back in July, I had a flat in a rental Jeep on a long road trip and within 30 seconds After changing the tire, the TPMS system reset. Rented another Jeep two weeks ago (I hate rentals) while working out of towns and got another flat. Changed it and the TPMS didn’t reset until I fixed the flat and put air into it (250 miles Later).

both flats were in off road conditions and due to not deflating the well worn tires before heading down a trail.

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah I was wrong. Not sure why they had to program mine when I got new wheels and tires. I left the factory ones in my original wheels.
I can tell you why. Most wheel and tire places are clueless when it comes to TPMS. They are good with a few of the cars that they do all the time. Get outside their comfort zone and they are a mess. Programming and relearning are certainly challenging to most. Sadly there is no standardization of process. Each auto maker does things differently. Toyota/Lexus completely different from Jeep. You would think all manufacturers would just be auto relearn but they are not. Also no real training to be had as lots of these shops just get there TPMS from the same place they buy all their other shop tools so they do not get the customer support, training needed.

Stuckinthesand

First Name
CJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S
I can tell you why. Most wheel and tire places are clueless when it comes to TPMS. They are good with a few of the cars that they do all the time. Get outside their comfort zone and they are a mess. Programming and relearning are certainly challenging to most. Sadly there is no standardization of process. Each auto maker does things differently. Toyota/Lexus completely different from Jeep. You would think all manufacturers would just be auto relearn but they are not. Also no real training to be had as lots of these shops just get there TPMS from the same place they buy all their other shop tools so they do not get the customer support, training needed.
I’d agree with you. However the shop I went to specializes in jeeps so I’m sure they are aware of how it works. I’m not an expert on TPMS but maybe something to do with going from stock tires and wheels to aftermarket. Just a guess I really have no clue.

Sponsored

Stuckinthesand

First Name
CJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S
So after I googled this it seems if you buy an aftermarket universal tpms it may need programmed or cloned to OEM. My guess is that’s what happened.

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’d agree with you. However the shop I went to specializes in jeeps so I’m sure they are aware of how it works. I’m not an expert on TPMS but maybe something to do with going from stock tires and wheels to aftermarket. Just a guess I really have no clue.
So after I googled this it seems if you buy an aftermarket universal tpms it may need programmed or cloned to OEM. My guess is that’s what happened.
Buying a "programmable" sensor it has to be programmed for that vehicle but once it is programmed it is installed just like an OEM sensor and is auto relearn. With an OEM sensor you just install them and drive away for auto relearn. For Jeep there is nothing needed and even can be done in the OBD as there is not that capability. Maybe the shop was "programming" them but for a "relearn" there is no connection that is needed or can even be done.

Stuckinthesand

First Name
CJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S
Buying a "programmable" sensor it has to be programmed for that vehicle but once it is programmed it is installed just like an OEM sensor and is auto relearn. With an OEM sensor you just install them and drive away for auto relearn. For Jeep there is nothing needed and even can be done in the OBD as there is not that capability. Maybe the shop was "programming" them but for a "relearn" there is no connection that is needed or can even be done.
Gotcha. Thanks for the information.
Sponsored